PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler flapping

Kain
12-01-2002, 07:58 PM
For lack of really knowing where to put this, I guess I'll throw it in here. Since it is a problem...at least in my opinion.

About two, maybe three months ago, I purchased a spoiler from a member here. I don't know the manufacture or the product name, sorry. It's a grand touring style wing with pylons farily close to the center. Anyway, after having it in the body shop for a month I finally got it back and it sat wrapped in a blanket behind my desk for another month or so. I finally got around to bolting it on this weekend, and it looks pretty good, but there's a problem. When I close my trunk, the spoiler jiggles like Louie Anderson's gut. And going down the road at speeds of 60+ the ends began to "flap" especially going over rough roads (however, here in GA all roads are rough). Is this normal? Is there any way to stop it? I've already tightened the fasteners as much as possible. Now, it's really not all that much movement, but it bothers me. I could probably learn to live with it if I had to I just thought I'd check with people here and see if anyone else had experienced similar problems with similar style (grand touring) spoilers? Thanks for the help guys.

Tiptronic
12-01-2002, 08:04 PM
best person to ask is pinoy. if i remember correctly, he has a grand touring spoiler. sorry to hear about your problems

pinoyesv6
12-02-2002, 12:45 AM
first of all let me say, my spoiler does flap around.

if you think about it, something will flap around where its least supported. imagine a diving board, its gonna be more springy at the end rather than near the ladder part. same thing with ur spoiler, that end, is only supported on one side. the supports (the pedastals) are in the middle. so its gonna shake no matter what.

an advantage to my spoiler is that on the end going towards the rear it kinda flips upwards to help prevent the wing from flapping as much. it still flaps but probably not as much as it would if it were flat. i forgot what urs looks like.

also the material of the spoiler is a factor, especially in the summer. i've actually seen some spoiler actually react to the heat and become soft and either flap hard or in worse case scenarios start to sag. be careful with that one.

im guessing u can reinforce it by maybe molding in like a steel rod or something into the spoiler and making it look somewhat like it was meant to me there or something like that.

mine flaps to the wind too, u should see how it is on windy days, you can actually feel it working

Kain
12-02-2002, 08:11 AM
All right, I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. At 70, each end only deflects a total of about 1" which I guess is not too bad. I had already thought about cutting into the bottom and grafting in a piece of rebar to strengthen it, but I think I'll just let it be for a while. Thanks for the help.

95G-Hustler
12-04-2002, 06:39 PM
when i had my touring wing it used to flap, but then i re-enforced it using a piece of sheetmetal (folded twice)from teh underside (inside the trunk) basically joining the 2 pillars, the added thickness of the metal allowed me to tighten down the spoiler and it stopped flapping (hope that helps)

dukeplaya3169
12-06-2002, 01:34 PM
Best way to reduce or completley get rid of that "flapping" is to mold the spoiler on to the car;make it entirely seamless.

bongi
12-07-2002, 02:31 PM
just buy an aluminum bar or plate from home depot and drill holes in it and attch it on the underside of your spoiler, it will reinforce it and prevent it from flapping. check the material first.