View Full Version : got some new problems

mitsueclipse2019
04-16-2007, 05:44 PM
when i get in my G and start it up, it goes to start up and then cuts off, then 2nd time i start it up, it starts up fine, i also just recently noticed that when i use the A/C my RPMS drop and the car idles really badly, anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

Sleepervr-4
04-16-2007, 06:57 PM
the idle changes when the a/c gets turned on but the computer should regulate it. About the startup are you getting any cel codes?

mitsueclipse2019
04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
the idle changes when the a/c gets turned on but the computer should regulate it. About the startup are you getting any cel codes?
sure am but no way to check the CEL codes, the sticky for how to do it on my car doesnt seem to work and i cant find a shop around here that can do it and i dont want to go to the dealer

mitsueclipse2019
04-18-2007, 10:43 AM
ok so i get in my car today and start it up and it starts right up no problems i go to turn on the a/c and it seems the idle gets kinda bad with each setting i could be wrong, but when i turned it to the 2nd or 3rd setting my car almost cuts off and for a split sec the lights on the guage cluster lights up like when you first start your car and then the car idles normly, anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this? i have never seen or heard of something like this happening

mattalicslvr8g02
04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Maybe the a/c compressor.. Im not sure but it seems that someting with in your a/c unit is causing you the prbolem... does it happen when the heat is on ?

mitsueclipse2019
04-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Maybe the a/c compressor.. Im not sure but it seems that someting with in your a/c unit is causing you the prbolem... does it happen when the heat is on ?
i havent checked with the heat but it happens while the car is parked and not while its moving

mattalicslvr8g02
04-18-2007, 01:33 PM
i havent checked with the heat but it happens while the car is parked and not while its moving

where is the rpm's at when nothing is on and your idleing in park?

mitsueclipse2019
04-18-2007, 01:34 PM
like 1 or 2 lines below 1000

mattalicslvr8g02
04-18-2007, 01:36 PM
thats where it is supposed to be .. hmm It might be someting wrong with-in the a/c unit like i said

mitsueclipse2019
04-18-2007, 01:43 PM
thats where it is supposed to be .. hmm It might be someting wrong with-in the a/c unit like i said
is there anyway to get it checked and how much it would cost?

mattalicslvr8g02
04-18-2007, 01:46 PM
is there anyway to get it checked and how much it would cost?

that I do not know

Diamndsr4eva
04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
every 4 banger gets alittle sluggish when the ac is turned on. Thats because the condenser is using up horses that would normally be going to the engine, hence the drop in rpms. When your driving this is also noticiable, but not as bad. Also, do your lights seem to dim at night when you let of the gas? My reccomendation is to switch to a redtop battery if you already dont have one. They have extra juice and that will help your alternator pick up. I would also check my alternator belt. Good luck

mitsueclipse2019
04-18-2007, 02:35 PM
every 4 banger gets alittle sluggish when the ac is turned on. Thats because the condenser is using up horses that would normally be going to the engine, hence the drop in rpms. When your driving this is also noticiable, but not as bad. Also, do your lights seem to dim at night when you let of the gas? My reccomendation is to switch to a redtop battery if you already dont have one. They have extra juice and that will help your alternator pick up. I would also check my alternator belt. Good luck
i can understand that but the problem with the a/c only started recently and my lights are fine

Diamndsr4eva
04-18-2007, 02:44 PM
^^ok. But with the problems uve described, there can only be two things wrong with your a/c system. Either the compresser is fucked or the belt thats driving it Is stretched and not working right. Maybe thts why u get the engine bogging when you adjust to a higher setting on the a/c. See when you turn the a/c to a higher setting, the more you demand from the compresser...i dunno though, check your alt belt and check ur compressoer unit...but i still would upgrade to a bigger batt.

mitsueclipse2019
04-18-2007, 02:46 PM
^^ok. But with the problems uve described, there can only be two things wrong with your a/c system. Either the compresser is fucked or the belt thats driving it Is stretched and not working right. Maybe thts why u get the engine bogging when you adjust to a higher setting on the a/c. See when you turn the a/c to a higher setting, the more you demand from the compresser...i dunno though, check your alt belt and check ur compressoer unit...but i still would upgrade to a bigger batt.
trust me if it were up to me i would have atleast a red top, but im not the one paying for the repairs, the alt belt was replaced last year when it broke on me on my way to get my new pair of glasses, how would i go about checking the compressoer?

Diamndsr4eva
04-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I really dont know. My guess is have a trusted mech do a checkup for you... :?

bmxmike
04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Id say check your belts, cause if your lights go dim and everything that seems like something is wrong with a belt like the alternator like its not getting charged. Could be a/c compressor like they already said

eksz
04-23-2007, 04:15 PM
1. Go to autozone. They will check your CEL codes for free. Worse case is you buy a cheap code reader (can be had for as low as $39 at harbor freight or Checker auto parts when on sale) and check them your self. 1996 has an OBDII system/plug which is very common.

2. I can't speak from experience on the Galants but from other cars I have worked on when the AC is switched on a solenoid is also switched on. This solenoid raises the rpms to compensate for the extra drag the AC compressor causes when it engages. The solenoid is generally located so that it pushes on part of the throttle mechanism to open it up. Take a look around and see if you don't have something like that on your car and look for connectors that are not locked tightly together.

3. If you want to exclude your AC compressor as being part of the problem, remove the AC belt. Now start the car and press the AC on. Without the belt the AC compressor can't cause any drag. If you are still getting the problem with the belt removed I think you have an electrical problem arising from the switch and its circuit. If you don't experience the problem then I would suspect either the AC compressor is creating too much drag on the engine (bad compressor) or whatever it is that tells the engine to increase its rpms because the AC has been turned on is not doing its job. Hope this helps, jjj

mitsueclipse2019
04-23-2007, 08:45 PM
1. Go to autozone. They will check your CEL codes for free. Worse case is you buy a cheap code reader (can be had for as low as $39 at harbor freight or Checker auto parts when on sale) and check them your self. 1996 has an OBDII system/plug which is very common.

2. I can't speak from experience on the Galants but from other cars I have worked on when the AC is switched on a solenoid is also switched on. This solenoid raises the rpms to compensate for the extra drag the AC compressor causes when it engages. The solenoid is generally located so that it pushes on part of the throttle mechanism to open it up. Take a look around and see if you don't have something like that on your car and look for connectors that are not locked tightly together.

3. If you want to exclude your AC compressor as being part of the problem, remove the AC belt. Now start the car and press the AC on. Without the belt the AC compressor can't cause any drag. If you are still getting the problem with the belt removed I think you have an electrical problem arising from the switch and its circuit. If you don't experience the problem then I would suspect either the AC compressor is creating too much drag on the engine (bad compressor) or whatever it is that tells the engine to increase its rpms because the AC has been turned on is not doing its job. Hope this helps, jjj
cant go to autozone to get the codes read cause the connector is obd2 but the computer is obd1 and the a/c doesnt seem to be doing anything like i said it was doing anymore

mitsueclipse2019
04-24-2007, 02:32 PM
i got some sad news, if we cant figure out whats wrong with the G and get it fixed before september then when september comes around (that is when my tags expire) we are going to junk the G :cry: :cry: we took my car to a shop today to see if they could read the codes and we couldnt and it cost my grandparents 50 bucks! :cry: i dont know what im gonna do with this car :cry:

bmxmike
04-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Im not sure one the whole obd-1 setup but could you not get a obd-1 plug hook it up and us the voltmeter way? Also isnt there a way to watch how many times the CEL flashes? I'm just tryin to think of ways for you to get this done.

seth98esT
04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
i got some sad news, if we cant figure out whats wrong with the G and get it fixed before september then when september comes around (that is when my tags expire) we are going to junk the G :cry: :cry: we took my car to a shop today to see if they could read the codes and we couldnt and it cost my grandparents 50 bucks! :cry: i dont know what im gonna do with this car :cry:
Dude just take it to the dealer. They can and will read the codes for probably $80. Dont waste your time/money with ma and pa shops.

mitsueclipse2019
04-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Dude just take it to the dealer. They can and will read the codes for probably $80. Dont waste your time/money with ma and pa shops.
well theres a problem with that, i doubt my grandparents will shell out 80 dollars to get it check but im hoping and praying they will

mitsueclipse2019
04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Im not sure one the whole obd-1 setup but could you not get a obd-1 plug hook it up and us the voltmeter way? Also isnt there a way to watch how many times the CEL flashes? I'm just tryin to think of ways for you to get this done.
there is a way and a tutorial on how to get it to flash but the problem is that, im either not doing it right, its not working or im not using the right stuff as it says to use a jumper wire, well that dont help much as i dont know what kind of wire i need to use

mitsueclipse2019
04-25-2007, 06:19 PM
ok i got the CEL to blink and i think the reason why it wasnt doing it before was cause i was probably doing it wrong but i had my grandma out there counting the blinks and she said it blinked about 22 times or so, does anyone know what this means if anything?

mitsueclipse2019
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
can someone tell me the name of the pipe that goes from the MAS to the TB, cause i need to buy a new one cause the one thats on there now has a hole in it

mattalicslvr8g02
04-26-2007, 03:03 PM
a intake pipe?

mitsueclipse2019
04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
a intake pipe?
i guess so

mattalicslvr8g02
04-26-2007, 03:21 PM
maybe "upper" intake pipe

bmxmike
04-26-2007, 05:19 PM
If its your intake pipe why not just go ahead and make a CAI! :twisted:

mitsueclipse2019
04-26-2007, 05:20 PM
If its your intake pipe why not just go ahead and make a CAI! :twisted: 2 reasons why i cant, 1.costs to much and 2.im not the one paying for replacement parts

bmxmike
04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
You can get the parts to make a CAI for pretty cheap around $20 and if your haveing to replace your upper intake house it might be cheaper cause i know some stupid oem parts like that can cost alot!

mitsueclipse2019
04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
heres a pic of the part
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8191/cak58d4fki4.jpg

seth98esT
04-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Yah, just upper intake pipe. If you want I can pick you one up at my junkyard for $10 or so. www.mistubishiparts.com wants $40 and the dealer would want more. Part number: MD193510

mitsueclipse2019
04-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Yah, just upper intake pipe. If you want I can pick you one up at my junkyard for $10 or so. www.mistubishiparts.com wants $40 and the dealer would want more. Part number: MD193510
no thanks i got it covered but thanks for the offer, im gonna see about getting a CAI but what parts do i need for a CAI?

seth98esT
04-26-2007, 05:46 PM
You could use this if you wanted a fancy blue intake:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01-INTEGRA-LS-GS-BLUE-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-95-96-97-98-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ004QQitemZ 140109981544QQrdZ1

Or just this for the bling bling effect:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95-96-97-98-99-00-Acura-integra-GSR-Cold-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ002QQi temZ120111924658QQrdZ1

Either you would have to cut. For the upper intake pipe that you need to replace in your pic, you just cut the pipe to be about the same size. You could use a chop saw or just a regular hacksaw. For the CAI extension you use the other pipe.

And you need a MAS adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-05-Mitsubishi-Galant-3-Air-Intake-MAF-MAS-Adapter_W0QQitemZ180109863799QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33 659QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mitsueclipse2019
04-26-2007, 05:51 PM
You could use this if you wanted a fancy blue intake:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01-INTEGRA-LS-GS-BLUE-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-95-96-97-98-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ004QQitemZ 140109981544QQrdZ1

Or just this for the bling bling effect:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95-96-97-98-99-00-Acura-integra-GSR-Cold-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ002QQi temZ120111924658QQrdZ1

Either you would have to cut. For the upper intake pipe that you need to replace in your pic, you just cut the pipe to be about the same size. You could use a chop saw or just a regular hacksaw. For the CAI extension you use the other pipe.

And you need a MAS adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-05-Mitsubishi-Galant-3-Air-Intake-MAF-MAS-Adapter_W0QQitemZ180109863799QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33 659QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemcan i get any of that at an auto parts store?

bmxmike
04-26-2007, 05:54 PM
well they have the pipes at like Pepboys and Autozone where you could make your own but i dont now the pipes are kinda skechty and just like one peice is as much as the whole thing on ebay! Though you can get the mas adapter at autozone and pepboys and its metal!

seth98esT
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
You can get the CAI extension at Autozone but your stuck with your stock upper pipe. Plus its $40 at Autozone and its just the pipe, filter, and coupler.

bmxmike
04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Ya and im not real sure about anyother places that sell this kinda stuff so i would suggest if you do decided to do the cold air intake use ebay!

mitsueclipse2019
04-27-2007, 06:46 PM
before i wrecked my G i had fixed the upper intake pipe with a very strong type of duct tape til i could get it fixed and it worked, duct tape can fix anything lol :lol:

mitsueclipse2019
06-01-2007, 06:16 AM
would this work on my G?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98-99-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-NT-COLD-AIR-INTAKE_W0QQitemZ270126160601QQihZ017QQcategoryZ386 34QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem