PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission Swap

ESdriver00
12-02-2002, 09:28 AM
What was the issue on the 5 speed swap from a 3G eclipse to 8G galant issue? Besides custom interior work (installing clutch, and other stuff) what was if any technical issues?

I'm really considering it.

Norcal Performance
12-02-2002, 10:42 AM
I do know that when we did a 5-speed swap on a Stratus coupe auto that one of the bog issues was that we had to replace the engine wiring harness and ECU with the Eclipse 5-speed. I am positive you would have the same problem. Other then that there shouldn't be to many other issues. The easiest thing to do is get yor hands on an Eclipse that has been wrecked and just take it's parts. That is what we did and replaces all the hoses and clutch with new ones.

Cliff

Fastgalants
12-02-2002, 03:40 PM
how expensive would a swap like this most likely run?

HeadAche
12-02-2002, 03:45 PM
i would think a job like that would cost about $2,000 or more depending on who does the install and labor rates in ur area..

Norcal Performance
12-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Yes $2,000 is a rough estimate price wise. I got my parts for about that much but I got some parts thrown in by my wrecker cause I was in there so much I think he got tired of seeing me and started giving me parts for free, hoping I'd leave!

Its really not as hard as it sounds. The hardest part was running the engine wiring harness through the firewall and under/behind the dash.

But if you do attempt this swap. Make sure you have all your parts before you start the swap. I finished the major work a month ago and have been waiting on the last part I had to special order from the dealer for a month (it finally came in today)

So yeah, the easiest way would be to buy a wrecked eclipse and take the parts you need from it and swap it piece for piece.