PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap.

djoutrages
04-19-2007, 01:15 AM
I was thinking today about a engine swap on my 9g, I suppose the caliber srt-4 motor should bolt strait in? It is afterall a re-branded 4g69.....

seth98esT
04-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Pics of the Caliber motor? Why you would you want to do an engine swap in a car that probably still has the factory warranty? haha

djoutrages
04-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Pics of the Caliber motor? Why you would you want to do an engine swap in a car that probably still has the factory warranty? haha

haha wasn't planning on doing it for atleast another 30,000 miles on my car, purchased in late 03 (suposedly the first 9g in california)....I have 73.000 miles on it rite now....And due to the fact the caliber srt-4 comes out in the dodge 08' lineup :P Just thinking ahead.

djoutrages
04-19-2007, 02:02 AM
That's right. Under the hood is a DOHC 2.4L engine aka the 4G69 MIVEC, pumping out 300hp and 260lbs of torque to the front wheels. Funny thing is, the new hyundai sonata (base) has the same engine and was the first USDM car to get the revised 4G69. All dodge and hyundai cars will be renamed, as only the mitsu will keep the "4G69" name mark. This is one tuff as nail engine, so long 4G63... the 4G69 is taking over!

More info on the DOHC 4G69 MIVEC
To achieve its high-performance Dodge Caliber SRT4 configuration, the aluminum 2.4-liter World Engine block is specially machined for increased water and oil flow. Unique cast pistons travel within iron cylinder liners, and are cooled by oil squirters and affixed to forged connecting rods for high-revving reliability.

Tri-metal bearings are used for the connecting rods and crankshaft for high-performance durability. A unique oil pump/balance shaft module keeps the reciprocating assembly well-lubricated and running smoothly. An external cooler keeps oil temperatures within a safe range.

The aluminum cylinder head is equipped with unique high-temperature exhaust valves. VVT uses computer mapping to open and close intake and exhaust valves at optimal points for efficient combustion and flow. The camshaft and micro-alloy steel crankshaft, shared with the non-turbocharged 2.4-liter World Engine, are fully capable of high-horsepower loads.

Free-flow induction begins with an all-new air cleaner assembly that draws through an opening in a front crossmember for proximity to cool air. The air is then compressed in a TD04 turbocharger specially configured for the engine’s inlet and outlet packaging requirements, and sent through an intercooler to a 57mm throttle body.

Fuel is provided by a high-flow pump feeding injectors developed specifically for the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4. An all-new engine management system designed by Siemens -- the Global Powertrain Engine Controller -- keeps the powerplant running at maximum efficiency and power.

On the exhaust side, spent gas exits through a free-flow system that features two catalytic converters – one immediately downstream from the turbo, and another further along the 3-inch single-pipe exhaust system. Using two catalytic converters in this way provides significantly better “light-off” for decreased emissions. As with the previous-generation Dodge SRT4, the exhaust is tuned for maximum performance while meeting federal noise regulations.

info*Interesting that its DOHC

The SRT-4 model, introduced at the Chicago Auto Show in February 2006, is a replacement for the original Neon-based SRT-4 produced by Chrysler's Street and Racing Technology group. It is a hot hatch set to compete with the likes of the Volkswagen GTI and the Mazdaspeed 3. It features a turbocharged version of the 2.4 L engine with 300 hp (224 kW). It can accelerate from 0-62 mph in 5.7 seconds. This is routed to the front wheels with a six-speed manual transmission. The SRT-4 uses the large 13.3 in (338 mm) front vented disc brakes with dual-piston calipers and 11.8 in (300 mm) rear single-piston disc brakes from the Chrysler 300C. The suspension is lowered as well. The Caliber SRT-4 was originally scheduled to be available for sale in spring 2007 as a 2007 model, however in a recent engineering chat at Caliberforums.com, SRT engineers revealed the vehicle will be sold later this year in the fall as a 2008 model.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106753

joncav2222
04-19-2007, 10:05 AM
wow that would deffinetly be an awesome thing to see...300 hp in that jeez lol, it would amost be the right thing to do at that point with all the miles u got on it, be deffinietly pricy but better then buying a used 9g engine or even a brnd new one this would be a great idea...hope you follow through! keep us posted

milo111000
04-19-2007, 05:21 PM

x2 on this... if you mess up on the swap. or the engine is a lemon, then what?????

djoutrages
04-19-2007, 06:06 PM

x2 on this... if you mess up on the swap. or the engine is a lemon, then what?????

haha wasn't planning on doing it for atleast another 30,000 miles on my car, purchased in late 03 (suposedly the first 9g in california)....I have 73.000 miles on it rite now....And due to the fact the caliber srt-4 comes out in the dodge 08' lineup Just thinking ahead.
^^Its just an idea for the future, many have done swaps before....how would this one be any diffrent afterall it is essentialy the same motor on steroids so to speak :P

milo111000
04-19-2007, 06:23 PM

haha wasn't planning on doing it for atleast another 30,000 miles on my car, purchased in late 03 (suposedly the first 9g in california)....I have 73.000 miles on it rite now....And due to the fact the caliber srt-4 comes out in the dodge 08' lineup Just thinking ahead.
^^Its just an idea for the future, many have done swaps before....how would this one be any diffrent afterall it is essentialy the same motor on steroids so to speak :P

i like ideas.. we were just talkin about the importance of warranty... let's say your G had some kinda factory defect, you can get mistubishi back for that because of warranty..

djoutrages
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM

i like ideas.. we were just talkin about the importance of warranty... let's say your G had some kinda factory defect, you can get mistubishi back for that because of warranty..

I see what your saying but like I said this wouldn't be anytime soon until the car was well out of warrenty, which is well not that far away now haha

joncav2222
04-20-2007, 12:01 AM
lol yeh just wait till 11000 and then start considering...great idea would love to see this in action

Kilsom
04-20-2007, 08:11 AM
I am banking now, I think I might just do the same and do a engine swap for this. Keep the Mivec covers that are on the stock engine though :)

but im waiting for the second year SRT-4 engine... the first gen setup will be faulty im sure, i'll wait for the second year it is out

DOHCstunr
04-20-2007, 04:03 PM
it seems to me that it woudl be much easier to fit the evo 4g63 into the 9g.

as the evo engine isn't flipped around backwards.
as in the intake manifold on the new engines is near the radiator, and the exhaust manifold is near the firewall.

not to mention in a basically stock block(as in stock crank stock block, but of course upgraded pistons and rods) the 4g63 evo motors will hold upwards of 700+ hp.
whereas i doubt you will be able to make anywhere near that without resleeving the aluminum block.

but of course mitsu is notorious for over engineering their motors,

so we'll see.

dusthead
02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
i figure our sohc 4g69 is a pretty tough engine in itself...dude had a ralliart lancer turbo'd pushing 21psi with no probs...only internal work was upgraded rods.