PDA

View Full Version : New mod comming soon... I guess u can kinda call it a teaser

Shadow19
04-23-2007, 05:45 PM
So i started porting and polishing my head (i had a spare).. Well long story short.. i know a guy that does this and he is teaching me... I take it to him often for him to look at it and see what i need to do.. Prices for this shit are outrageous.. The only local place that does it gave me a 1100 dollar quote.. so fuck it... Here it goes.. this is one of the exhaust side.. I havent even ported it yet.. Ive just been smoothing shit out and getting cast marks out.. I havent even started on polishing the exhaust side yet.. For those who know what its supposed to look like tell me what you think.. What you see now is about 10-12 hours of work.. but this shit is tedious and you have to go slow or you will have dips in the metal which is not good at all........... If only i had before pics.. you guys would be like DAMN!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/7Gowner/DSC00192.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/7Gowner/DSC00194.jpg

Thanks,
Johnas

Stewi
04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
That looks pretty decent soo far. What you really want on the exhaust side is the wall between the two valves to come to an even sharp edge at the end, and you want it to be as smooth as possible. On the intake side, you can open it up a little bit but you dont wont it to be really shiny and smooth, this will cause the fuel to pool up into dropleys and puddles rather than atomizing with the intake charge.

Shadow19
04-23-2007, 08:10 PM
That looks pretty decent soo far. What you really want on the exhaust side is the wall between the two valves to come to an even sharp edge at the end, and you want it to be as smooth as possible. On the intake side, you can open it up a little bit but you dont wont it to be really shiny and smooth, this will cause the fuel to pool up into dropleys and puddles rather than atomizing with the intake charge.

Yea i used a sanding disc to get the intake side.. The exahust side needs to be smooth.. I didnt know that the exhaust side needed to have the knife edge as well.. thanks for that info

DOHCstunr
04-23-2007, 10:23 PM
there is litttle to be gained from opening up the exhaust side,
looks like you nicked a valve guide in the first pic.
hope it doesn't crack on you

Shadow19
04-24-2007, 06:05 AM
there is litttle to be gained from opening up the exhaust side,
looks like you nicked a valve guide in the first pic.
hope it doesn't crack on you

Wouldnt that be a bitch.... Anyways... Is it enough of a gain to sit there and grind that long?

DOHCstunr
04-24-2007, 08:19 AM
you really only want to gasket match the exhaust side, its not going to have much benifit to dish out the area around the valve stems.
if you port it larger than the gasket, then you create a big turbulent step.

also, too much porting on the exhaust side will kill your low end torque.

Shadow19
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
All im going to do to the exhaust side is clean up the cast marks and polish it.. Im not gonna port the exhaust side.