PDA

View Full Version : well; which should it be?!?

D8
04-25-2007, 04:08 PM
A SRI or a CAI......I know this has probably been discussed here somewhere....but Iive run out of time to search and patience.....so I found this baby that polishmafia just installed in his G....

http://autosportstyle.com/shop/mitsubishi-20002003-galant-v6-30l-injen-short-ram-intake-system-sp1845p-polish-injen-mr-technology-intakes-sp-p-39514.html

price is right and I just got called into the bosses office and was given a $200 bonus!!!! So NOW I HAVE THE $$$$ for an intake......and the wife cleared it!!

So I've been reading that SRI's can actually make you lose power once the engine is hot......and the CAI is better......PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME!!!

I like this SRI and I want it.....but will I suffer power loss???????

S-Line
04-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Well I've got the short ram and its fine for me. Each one has its pros and cons. As far as performance gains, I think its so minimal that your really not going to feel that much of a difference if you pick one over the other.

4-G-rim
04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Installing a CAI or SRI will help gain power on the upper rpm range when your motor is really sucking in the air. The gains on the lower end will not be noticable if any...I did notice on my old 95 Galant when I made my CAI, the car was a bit sluggish on initial acceleration.

You could go with a Short ram intake..but the issue is getting the heat soaked air. To be more effective you would have to install some sort of block plate to reduce hot air from being sucked in. CAI will take in more cooler air..but are exposed to more road debris and higher chance of taking in water, but if you have a bypass valve that should resolve the issue.

darkbane
04-25-2007, 05:22 PM
A SRI or a CAI......I know this has probably been discussed here somewhere....but Iive run out of time to search and patience.....so I found this baby that polishmafia just installed in his G....

http://autosportstyle.com/shop/mitsubishi-20002003-galant-v6-30l-injen-short-ram-intake-system-sp1845p-polish-injen-mr-technology-intakes-sp-p-39514.html

price is right and I just got called into the bosses office and was given a $200 bonus!!!! So NOW I HAVE THE $$$$ for an intake......and the wife cleared it!!

So I've been reading that SRI's can actually make you lose power once the engine is hot......and the CAI is better......PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME!!!

I like this SRI and I want it.....but will I suffer power loss???????

well, the cold air intake will provide you with a cooler, and therefore denser, intake charge because it moves the intake outside of the hot engine bay but it has drawbacks, like the fact that you can severely fuck up your car by asiprating water from a large puddle or something unless you invest in a water bypass valve.

The short ram is going to be cheaper, and safer than a CAI but your performance boost will likely not be as impressive because it's pulling its pulling it's intake charge from the hotter, and therefore less dense, air in the engine bay.

I don't really see any circumstance under which you would lose power as compared to the stock intake configuration; With either a SRI or CAI you have a much larger filter medium and significantly better piping (usually mandel bent polished metal instead of convoluted rubber ductwork) with the added benefit of getting rid of the stupid restrictive airbox.

Some people might argue that the airbox itself keeps the intake cooler but I'd tend to disagree. The airbox isn't any kind of heat shielding or anything like that, it's just a simple plastic box. It might keep the intake cooler for maybe the first 5 minutes after starting up just by being physically in the way of the hot air, but by the time the engine is at normal operating temperature there will be no appreciable difference in intake charge temperature over a short ram intake.

and on one final note, an intake alone will not significantly increase your performance. it may increase your throttle response a little bit but without other supporting mods something like a CAI is honestly more of a liability than an improvement, but that's just my 2 cents.

[/rant]

Hope it helps.

6G72Galant
04-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Ive always why people claimed that CAI take in Cooler air? On a hot summer day, isnt the asphalt/concrete/pavement that your car is driving on the hottest? I think the temps inside the Engine bay while the car is moving, compared to the ground temp wouldnt be that big of a difference.

darkbane
04-25-2007, 06:00 PM
well, you're not sucking the air right off the pavement, you know? you're pulling the intake charge from the air stream passing under the car while you're moving which is presumably cooler than the air getting blown back from the radiator and crap.

you're probably right that on a blistering hot day it won't make much of a difference, but if the ambient temperature is really that high there isn't much you could do to cool it short of nitrous oxide.

My favorite intake setups have always been either running it out the side of the engine bay through the quarter panel into open air or popping out a headlight and running the intake through there.

I've also seen them stuck out through the hood but it seems like convection would make an intake there almost as hot as inside the engine bay.

Koncept
04-26-2007, 06:05 AM
On my i4 I've tried both sri and cai, and the only differences I noticed between the two were: 1. The sound and 2. The cai sucked in bunch of water one day while I was working (delivery driving, and I had to drive in the pouring rain for about 5 hours straight) and my engine shut down and wouldn't start back up. I ended up having to take off the entire cai, dump out some water and had to wipe out the condensation and let the car sit two days before it would start. I took it to the mechanic soon as I could, and thankfully no damage to the engine itself... The performance gains were more or less the same between the two. The SRI seems to be more efficient at starting up, and the CAI adds a little more top end, but...in my opinion SRI works great and I'm not going back to a CAI.
I've been back and forth on the issue of differing air temps...but in the 100+ desert heat down here, the air anywhere near the road is baking anyhow, and I really don't see how that air could possibly be much cooler than what's in the airbox, where the stock intake was designed to sit anyhow. I mean, they did design to put the intake there for a reason, I would imagine. Right?

milo111000
04-26-2007, 06:25 AM
here's what i did to mine. i got sick of doin the CAI then back to SRI stuff.. rains alot here in Guam..
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/milo111000409/P3060059.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/milo111000409/P3060058.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/milo111000409/P2040008.jpg

no more problems what so ever.. but i replaced my filter to a cheaper ones, cause those are the only ones with the mouth open..

6G72Galant
04-26-2007, 08:19 AM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/milo111000409/P3060058.jpg

:? :? :?
Any gains?

darkbane
04-26-2007, 01:13 PM
seems restrictive to me. that hose is pretty narrow.

milo111000
04-26-2007, 06:17 PM
since going back and forth from cai to sri, i really can't tell anymore.. prolly just right in the middle.. but restrictivity wise.. no.. but beats worrying about hydro locking...

darkbane
04-26-2007, 08:07 PM
water bypass valve?

milo111000
04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
^^^^^ don't work bud.. get a hold of 4g63 lover..

darkbane
04-26-2007, 08:17 PM
hmm. I wonder if there's another way.

fatal1
04-26-2007, 10:40 PM
i would go short ram, the gain from an intake are minimal no matter where the filter is you arent getting more which way or the other, the pipe gets warm either way, i had a cai but after trying to avoid all the puddles etc i just switched to a short ram to keep it safe and didnt notice any change in performance

darkbane
04-26-2007, 11:31 PM
I'd tend to agree fatal1. an intake is a supporting mod, not the main course.

however either a sri or a cai go well with headwork/fuel system upgrades/exhaust/etc.

after a point the factory intake just can't supply enough air to allow maximum performance from your other mods.

D8
04-27-2007, 08:58 AM
well i'm going with the same Injen short ram polishmaf has on his G......getting it for $166 8)

polishmafia
04-27-2007, 11:16 AM
nice. the kit comes with an install guide. its so easy a retarded caveman could do it! ;)

D8
04-27-2007, 11:19 AM
nice. the kit comes with an install guide. its so easy a retarded caveman could do it! ;)

http://www.thirdwayblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/caveman_1.jpg

don't make me hurt you.

:P

:P :P

:wink:

:lol:

mindwerkz
04-27-2007, 12:09 PM
milo. that's brilliant. I'm gunna try it

seth98esT
04-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Seriously, with little gains that either give you, you wont notice a difference between the two.

polishmafia
04-27-2007, 12:24 PM
i said a retarded caveman, not a normal caveman dammit! :lol:

D8
04-27-2007, 12:34 PM
i said a retarded caveman, not a normal caveman dammit! :lol:

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/c/caveman.jpg

:P