PDA

View Full Version : SOHC swap to DOHC turbo questions

B176969
12-03-2002, 03:59 PM
ok i have a 1990 mitsubishi galant sohc you know th basic package. i have a buddy who can get me all the stuff from the VR4 version the AWD the engine with turbo and intercooler you know the works. but what my question would be is he said he can get me the engine for around $1200; and i am asking is it worth it or should i save my money and try to find me a VR4? well i guess if he can get it for that much i will just get the engine. another question i know i am going to need a new ECU. but will the tranny bolt right up? and we checked the mounts and they all look the same cause he has a taloon TSI and all his mounts are the same as mine. ok off the sub of that. does anyone know the HP of the sohc non turbo. and then the hp of a DOhc turbo?> ok that is enough for now please reply tell me what you think and answer the hp questions to if you can.

ken inn
12-03-2002, 04:59 PM
you will need a lot more than just the motor and ecu. the engine wiring harness is needed, and a different fuel pump. you also will have to modify the front bumper to get air to the intercooler, the vr4 bumper is in it's own world. this subject comes up all the time, and i am sure some have done it, but it is expensive and labor intensive. the trans will probably bolt up, but wont take the power of the motor, especially if you start to mod it. you would be way better off just getting a vr4.

Prolab
02-10-2003, 02:04 AM
As Ken said, there's a lot involved in swapping this engines. Im in the same boat right now, whether to do an engine swap on my galant, or just save up and look for a decent VR4.

As for the specs...click here: www.geocities.com/threestardiamond ('http://www.geocities.com/threestardiamond'), and look for the spec page.

TurboGalant
02-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Considering the down time involved, and the labor, what is the overall price comparison? You would probably have a much easier time if you get a VR4 instead of trying to change all the parts out on your car.

Nick VR4
02-20-2003, 10:24 AM
Here we go again
for $1200 thats cheap very cheap
so what the condition of it ?
What year is the engine ?

IMO
Dont even bother your car will be off the road so long your forget you ever had a car