PDA

View Full Version : Have money, what to fix?

mindwerkz
05-01-2007, 12:36 AM
I need a new axle and a new alternator. The axle is moaning and groaning when I start, stop and make sharp turns. The alternator is causing random multiple misfire that by the end of the driving day makes my idle feel like an amusement park ride.

I only have enough money to fix one. Which should I fix first and why?

milo111000
05-01-2007, 01:13 AM
depending on how bad your axles are, i'd do those first..

seth98esT
05-01-2007, 01:30 AM
If that alt dies, you cant drive. If the axle breaks, you cant drive. Fix them both :?

Axle is under $100, alt might be too.

milo111000
05-01-2007, 01:32 AM
exactly!!! if an axle breaks while you driving the G.... you have more damage.... more $$$$$

RedGalant2k1
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I concur fix both.

Serstylz2
05-01-2007, 12:29 PM
i suggest stop driving until both are fixed too

Reelax
05-01-2007, 12:35 PM
both. find a way.

pvu_rida
05-01-2007, 05:50 PM
u can always hit up a junk yard and replace the alty urself

ricky_db
05-01-2007, 06:07 PM
both

mindwerkz
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
hmmm...

ok thanks guys. Axle first. I want a HO alt so I might have to wait another month for that. Anyone know any brand names of HO alts for a V6 8G?

But yeah. Axle sounds good. If the alt fails on the road, I've got AAA Platinum and they'll tow me 100 miles.

EDIT - oh yeah, are there any benefits to the aftermarket axle? If it weighs less, I might spring for it.

RedGalant2k1
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM
hmmm...

ok thanks guys. Axle first. I want a HO alt so I might have to wait another month for that. Anyone know any brand names of HO alts for a V6 8G?

But yeah. Axle sounds good. If the alt fails on the road, I've got AAA Platinum and they'll tow me 100 miles.

EDIT - oh yeah, are there any benefits to the aftermarket axle? If it weighs less, I might spring for it.

Don't bother with aftermarket axles unless you plan on putting a turbo with 6+psi of boost on tomorrow. A stock axle will be adequate not to mention a lot cheaper, especially since you'd have to do both if you upgraded.

As for the Alternator I know of at least one company that made those, Ohio Generator, however I can't say I know if they still make HO alternators.

Serstylz2
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Iraggi i think works on our G's

outspoken
05-02-2007, 09:33 AM
no real need for an ho-alt unless you have some serious audio equipment.

Jeffylou87
05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
There was a thread here for HO alty's... But my alty was bad, never changed it, it was screaming at me... then one day it locked up and I had to cut the belt so I can make it home, only running on my battery.. So i needed a new belt and an alty.. FYI keep a knife in your car...

mindwerkz
05-02-2007, 12:47 PM
You can't HURT anything by installing a HO alt though right? If nothing else it would just be overkill but not harmful?

I always have a knife in the car (for cutting seatbelts and breaking glass). Throwback to security training. I also keep a big ass maglight and my service revolver in there and check under my car and in the backseat before getting in. They really drilled that stuff into my head.

mindwerkz
05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
My mechanic says I'm crazy. There's nothing wrong with the axles (the right front brake pad is making all the noise) or the alternator. Says it's all the transmission's fault as far as he can tell. If that's not it, he has no idea. Going to flush it and replace the filter and seal.

mindwerkz
05-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok so it's 90% better after the flush, etc. But it still is having issues off the line, and gear changes aren't very smooth if I have my subs woofin'. Is this something that likely to go away now or could this be symptoms of permanent damage from driving it so much with nasty dark fluid?

EDIT - My guy says it will probably go away after a few days of running the new fluid through it. If not, there's a possibility that it might have been damaged from driving it for so long while it's all wonky and will need to be rebuilt. If not, he hasn't a clue as to what could be wrong.