PDA

View Full Version : Zex N2O kit on a GTZ

Modified GTZ
12-03-2002, 11:31 PM
I have a 2000 GTZ with intake, headers, exaust, and an Apex'i S-AFC. I want to get nitrous, simply becasue im broke and its the best bang for buck, technically. Anyway, i have looked into the zex kit because i have an auto, and i figured the smart kit would be the best idea. I want to run a 75 shot but im not sure if thats too much or what. also, is the bottle heater worth it? they claim that if the bottle is too cold the pressure could be off, kinda sounds like overkill but i could be wrong. Anyway, any opinions out there, cause im dying to be running 270HP at the wheels!!

Xavier22
12-04-2002, 06:07 AM
welcome - well, all i can tell you is to talk to Shane on here!!! he runs anywhere from 125-200 hp of NOS -(ZEX Kit)

holla at em' or something like that!!

Modified GTZ
12-04-2002, 10:41 AM
thanks bro, but who is shane, whats hisuser name??

mark1
12-04-2002, 11:01 AM
he will answer you as soon as he gets on, just be patient. that size shot will be fine. but i recommend also getting an fpr and colder spark plugs made for nos, from zex i think you can get some that work. better safe than sorry

Xavier22
12-04-2002, 01:10 PM
kemist aka shane is his name on here!!! just search for a topic of "NOS" and you'll catch his name!

pinoyesv6
12-04-2002, 02:34 PM
just do a search in the meantime, uhm the gtz drivetrain is pretty much the same as it would be in the es and ls v6 so u can think about that. vegas matt and nick from s&s can both help u out too. but yea just do a search u can find ur asnwers really fast

DJ_SI
12-04-2002, 08:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Modified GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a 2000 GTZ with intake, headers, exaust, and an Apex'i S-AFC. Â*I want to get nitrous, simply becasue im broke and its the best bang for buck, technically. Â*Anyway, i have looked into the zex kit because i have an auto, and i figured the smart kit would be the best idea. Â*I want to run a 75 shot but im not sure if thats too much or what. Â*also, is the bottle heater worth it? they claim that if the bottle is too cold the pressure could be off, kinda sounds like overkill but i could be wrong. Â*Anyway, any opinions out there, cause im dying to be running 270HP at the wheels!!</div>

*raises hand* I can answer these questions for you! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif If you plan on running a 75 shot, I would suggest looking into getting a wet kit. The reason I say this because, with a Zex (dry) kit, if you want to run a 75 shot, it is reccommended that you retard your timing 4 degrees. I understand that you car does not have a distributor, thus making it very difficult to retard your timing. Another thing, a wet-kit produces more power when compared to the same amount of shot with that of a dry kit. I know that NX and NOS actually rate their shots with the amount of hp to the wheels (ie. 75 shot = 75 whp), whereas the Zex kit rates their shot with the amount of power delivered to the flywheel (I know that a 50 shot of Zex usually dynos around 30-35 whp).

You mentioned that you have an auto and that the 'smart kit' grabbed your attention. What do you mean by 'smart kit'? If you are talking about the safety of activating your nitrous only when you are at full throttle (which is what the Zex kit does), the NX and NOS systems also have that feature.

A 75 shot on a V6? No problem. My friend has a 4cyl galant and he is currently spraying a NX 75 shot with out any problems. He used to have a Zex kit and wanted more power but, because he could not retard his timing, he switched kits and he is happy.

Bottle heater? I would highly reccommend getting one,especially if you live in a area with cold weather! If your bottle pressure is not high enough, the mixture of nitrous and fuel will be off and you will not experience the full 'kick' from your nitrous system, not to mention that improper mixture can also lead to problems. Believe me, anything lower than 900 psi of pressure in your tank, it will be almost useless to spray. When your nitrous supply is getting low, you will need a bottle warmer to increase your bottle pressure. The difference in power between 800 psi and 1100psi of bottel pressure is night and day!

remember, before you spray get colder plugs, higher pressure fuel pump (if spraying 75+), and an adjustable fpr would be a good idea. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

HeadAche
12-05-2002, 12:17 AM
I agree with Si's on what he said, except on one thing, retarding the timing is really not a big deal.. And u can get the powe out of the ZEX it only if u tune it right.. im not accustomed to the NX kit, simply because well hell, ZEX is what i live and die by.. I would agree on gettting the wet system, because u do get more power out of it.. His explanation of the NX kit putting down 75hp to the ground while ZEX only does 30-35 to the crank, i have never heard that.. I would need to see a dyno sheet to determine that theory.. A bottle heater is need only if u livin up in the cold ass weather livin out here in FLA u really dont need one, but i do have one because i use (3) seperate bottles, and keep the psi up to at least 1050 is extremely important for what im doing..The smart system is a very cool idea, but the only thing i dont like about it is WOT, because as u know our ride puts down torque at about 3500rpms, and for the system that is WOT and sometimes the rpms would bounce off 6g and damn near break ur neck, so i switched it to a 3 button system. If u have more ?'s u can ask myself or Si, since we both have competing brands, even though we all know who's ride is faster... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

DJ_SI
12-05-2002, 08:14 AM
We also know whos ride has more potential. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Seriously though, dry kits seem to put down a little less power. I have seen numerous dyno sheets posted on clubsi showing what I said to be true. I will try to look for them and hopefully post them on here for some to see. Later.

HeadAche
12-05-2002, 05:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ_SI)</div><div class='quotemain'>We also know whos ride has more potential. Â*:lol: Â*

Seriously though, dry kits seem to put down a little less power. Â*I have seen numerous dyno sheets posted on clubsi showing what I said to be true. Â*I will try to look for them and hopefully post them on here for some to see. Â*Later.</div>

We also know whos ride would win best of show... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

yeah whenever u find it, post them for me 2 see or just e-mail it to me..

Modified GTZ
12-05-2002, 10:09 PM
Thanks alo guysfor all the advice. i appreciate it. i guess my last question is that, isnt it alot easier to install the dry N2O especially with tha zex filter that has the fogger right in it. I heard wet N2O is a batch to install. andi heard it can be more dagerous for your engine just wondering thanks again

Kyle

HeadAche
12-05-2002, 11:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Modified GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks alo guysfor all the advice. Â*i appreciate it. Â*i guess my last question is that, Â* isnt it alot easier to install the dry N2O especially with tha zex filter that has the fogger right in it. Â*I heard wet N2O is a batch to install. Â*andi heard it can be more dagerous for your engine Â*just wondering Â* Â*thanks again

Kyle</div>

Well i would say the single fogger is easier.. but Si will say the wet system is easier, if though the wet system is much more difficult since u are using 4 individual injectors.. The fogger only has just the 1.. I dont really know if the wet system would be more dangerous, u would be much more supseptable to having N2O leaks like i use to have with my NOS wet system that i originally started off with.. I say the dry system single fogger will do the job.. The wet system is just to complicated to have virtually the same amount of power.. Zex is the best company to get ur nitrous system, everything else is second best.. :twisted:

DJ_SI
12-06-2002, 01:29 PM
[quote="Kemist aka Shane
Well i would say the single fogger is easier.. but Si will say the wet system is easier, if though the wet system is much more difficult since u are using 4 individual injectors.. The fogger only has just the 1.. I dont really know if the wet system would be more dangerous, u would be much more supseptable to having N2O leaks like i use to have with my NOS wet system that i originally started off with.. I say the dry system single fogger will do the job.. The wet system is just to complicated to have virtually the same amount of power.. Zex is the best company to get ur nitrous system, everything else is second best.. :twisted:[/quote]

No, you are right, a dry nitrous system is a little easier to install. But, what do you mean by "4 individual injectors"? With a wet-system, you have 2 silenoids (one is a nitrous, the other fuel) and from the two silenoids, they both go to one nozzle, which is inserted into your intake tube.

(To the original poster) So, you plan on using the new Zex system with the nozzle tapped into the front of you air filter? I would really wait to see what other peoples reactions are toward this system before you try it. For one, the nozzle is a very far distance from your throttle body......thus nitrous will have to travel futher causing the mixture to not be as 'potent'. People seem to dyno with better results the closer your nozzle is located to the throttle body. (however, never locate the nozzle any less than 3 inches from the throttle body) And another thing that bugs me with the nozzle located on your filter is that the nitrous will have to pass through your air sensor box..........this could mean trouble. People have fucked up their air box by 'freezing' the sensors when placing the nozzle too far back. Like I said, the Zex nitrous kit is a very good kit and reliable.......just make sure that you do your research.

HeadAche
12-06-2002, 02:34 PM
[quote="Kemist aka Shane
Well i would say the single fogger is easier.. but Si will say the wet system is easier, if though the wet system is much more difficult since u are using 4 individual injectors.. The fogger only has just the 1.. I dont really know if the wet system would be more dangerous, u would be much more supseptable to having N2O leaks like i use to have with my NOS wet system that i originally started off with.. I say the dry system single fogger will do the job.. The wet system is just to complicated to have virtually the same amount of power.. Zex is the best company to get ur nitrous system, everything else is second best.. :twisted:

No, you are right, a dry nitrous system is a little easier to install. But, what do you mean by "4 individual injectors"? With a wet-system, you have 2 silenoids (one is a nitrous, the other fuel) and from the two silenoids, they both go to one nozzle, which is inserted into your intake tube.

(To the original poster) So, you plan on using the new Zex system with the nozzle tapped into the front of you air filter? I would really wait to see what other peoples reactions are toward this system before you try it. For one, the nozzle is a very far distance from your throttle body......thus nitrous will have to travel futher causing the mixture to not be as 'potent'. People seem to dyno with better results the closer your nozzle is located to the throttle body. (however, never locate the nozzle any less than 3 inches from the throttle body) And another thing that bugs me with the nozzle located on your filter is that the nitrous will have to pass through your air sensor box..........this could mean trouble. People have fucked up their air box by 'freezing' the sensors when placing the nozzle too far back. Like I said, the Zex nitrous kit is a very good kit and reliable.......just make sure that you do your research.[/quote]

sorry bout that, my boy uses 2 solenoids for nitrous and 2 for fuel, thas they only way that i have seen the wet system set-up..lol... actually since i use different intakes my nozzle i would say is about 5-6 inches from the TB... I actually got a call from Brian who does R&D for ZEX and he was telling me about the new system, and it sounds pretty tight, but like u said SI i would still fear the ability to free the mass air flow sensor even though he said that it had been tested and had no "immediate problems"... Did u get the link to that dyno test for the wet and dry sys.. im pretty interested in seeing what it does.. if their seems to be a resonalbe power difference i may re-change set-upsince i have the parts from the original NOS setup..

DJ_SI
12-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Well, Shane, I am still trying to gather various dyno sheets.....so hard evidence yet. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Anyway, I do have a magazine (import tuner) where they dynoed a Venom (dry) nitrous kit.........with a 30 shot (lol) they got an additional 22.6hp/34.3tq. In another magazine that I have (Honda tuning) they dyno a NX (wet) 50 shot and they gained 60.8hp/107.1tq (no this is not a typo!). This may not be the evidence you were looking for, since it was published in a magazine, however, I have seen other dyno sheets that give the same/similar results. I will try my hardest to find other examples for you.

HeadAche
12-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Well, Shane, I am still trying to gather various dyno sheets.....so hard evidence yet. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Anyway, I do have a magazine (import tuner) where they dynoed a Venom (dry) nitrous kit.........with a 30 shot (lol) they got an additional 22.6hp/34.3tq. In another magazine that I have (Honda tuning) they dyno a NX (wet) 50 shot and they gained 60.8hp/107.1tq (no this is not a typo!). This may not be the evidence you were looking for, since it was published in a magazine, however, I have seen other dyno sheets that give the same/similar results. I will try my hardest to find other examples for you.

Well SI, you come up with a very strong argument..IM lookin at the numbers u have up here, but i wonder were the the motors the same spec, that could be where the power difference lies..lol.. like u cant but a wet system in a 8g then but the same wet system on a civic, it doesnt work like that..i would need to see it on the same motor..i guess i will have to do my own research over the weekend, and re-do the nitrous set-up..lol.. damn i love working on this motor so much damn fun.. well dont work to hard tryin to find it, if u do, u do..

DJ_SI
12-07-2002, 09:52 AM
Well, to help clarify things, the venom nitrous system was tested on a 1.8liter dohc vtec, with more aggressive cams, larger intake manifold, many bolt-ons, ect. While the NX nitrous system was tested on a 2001 Civic with the d17 engine, everything stock except air filter and exhaust.

BTW, good luck with you project, please let us all know how it is turning out! Peace.