PDA

View Full Version : Tranny question

mitsufan
05-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Okay i guess this is the place for this:
Anyway I was headed back to work and im headed down a road that has two lanes that merge into one then onto a interstate. So a guy fly us beside me doing about 95. He doesnt want to wait or get over like he should so he stomps it and swerves between me and a guardrail and clips the guardrail. So I lock them up (i was less than half an inch from him doing interstate speed (70MPH). He clips the gurard rail and I look in the rearview mirror and this truck I know is gonna hit me hard and knock me off the road off of this bridge so I get off the brakes. When I do and I give the car gas, the rpms JUMPED to 7,200 rpms and it wont shift. So i get off the gas again and then press the gas pedal again and it shifts and rpm go down to normal (3k at 70 mph). The guy behind me was a undercover cop in a white F150.So the guy that almost could have killed me hauls ass down the road doing about 110 and swerving like a damn fool. The cop (i didnt know it wasa cop at the time)follows the guy as im calling the police to report the driver. I hear sirens and look around to see if IM getting pulled over for a ANOTHER BS careless driving ticket, but he pulls the guy over and im laughing so hard at the guy im crying. So anyway, my question is, What would cause my tranny to do that and my rpms jump that high? I DO have a rev limiter and the rpms stop at 6,100 NOT 7,200.

mitsueclipse2019
05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
i noticed the same thing on my G sometimes, i would like to know the answer to it aswell

4-G-rim
05-07-2007, 05:24 PM
The tranny is controlled by the TCU....so I am "assuming" that the throttle input you gave so suddenly the TCU couldn't calculate fast enough to get it into the most suitable gear.

Basically from your experience you hit the brakes suddenly to avoid the truck. Your TCU made the adjustment to go to a lower gear since the vehicle speed decreased. The sudden and abrupt acceleration was probably too fast to where it couldn't make the adjustments instantly to where you over revved for a split second on a low gear till it made the correction. Auto's will tend to do this occasionally...where you will get a "jerky shifting" and short term high revs because the TCU isn't quick enough to make the adjustments.

This was explained to me in a vague manner...so I could be wrong and/or missing more details, but its basically a summary of whats causing the issue.

ohgrfreak
05-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Same thing happened to me only twice, first time, the tranny wasn't warmed up and I had to avoid a stupid driver like you did and from a fairly slow crawl, to instant floored throttle the rpms jumped over redline but the tranny wouldn't shift. I had to let off the gas and give it the input a little more slowly to get it to react properly.