PDA

View Full Version : how to claybar?

4g63lover
05-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Planning to claybar the G pretty soon, and some other cars. How do I do this? do I need and compounds or anything?

WarmAndSCSI
05-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll give you a quick run down.

What to buy: you can either get the claybar by itself or get a kit that comes with lubricant. Either way, you'll probably need some extra lubricant; any exterior detailing spray will work well.

You'll need to make sure the car is absolutely clean; this means that you need to have mit washed the entire surface of your car and have rinsed it thoroughly. I like to separate my clay into at least 4 pieces so I always have a backup in the event of an accidental drop (ALWAYS discard a piece of clay that has been dropped or is contaminated with grit).

Work on one small portion of the car at a time. Spray that section with the detailing spray or lube. Flatten a piece of clay and drag it along the paint surface. Do this until there is no more resistance - your paint should feel like glass. As you work, knead the piece of clay as to keep the working clay surface clean. Make sure to keep the paint you are cleaning lubed well to make the job easier.

Hope this helps.

pinoyesv6
05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
to clay all you need is clay and the lube. both is usually included when u buy the kit. just make sure that you have enough lube on the paint when u clay. the clay should float on the surface of the paint.

9G
05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Can I use any clay? like playdo or something?

Reelax
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM

of course. playdoh and KY works well!!! smart ass. :smt101

polishmafia
05-07-2007, 12:59 PM

it wouldnt be the first time 9G had some fun with KY and his car...

pvu_rida
05-07-2007, 01:04 PM

BWAHHHHHHHH

bmxmike
05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Have any of you use the Ice claybar?

6G72Galant
05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
bmxmike Posted: 07 May 2007 06:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have any of you use the Ice claybar?

Nope but ill be picking some up real soon 8)

mapid145
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
any recommendations.. or all the clay bars and lube the same

bmxmike
05-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Is the ice clay bar just a liquid and a cloth pad? cause watching people apply it it almost looks like a wax

9G
05-07-2007, 05:04 PM

I see. :smt117

I see you like dreaming about me doing some weird stuff? Gay.

polishmafia
05-07-2007, 05:27 PM

I see you like dreaming about me doing some weird stuff? Gay.

no no no... i never asked you to send those pics to me... the pm was quickly DELETED!

:lol:

tgc8gdanno
07-24-2007, 01:50 PM
what exactly does the clay do? does it remove maps and scratches?

seth98esT
07-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Picks up all the dirty and crud off or under the paint, works awesome.

How I do it, is wash the car first with normal dish soap. This will take off all the wax on the car, make sure its washed as good as you can with a brush and such, next rinse it and make sure all the soap is off, lastly use the claybar and fluid and scrub the entire car. Next, wash the car again with normal car soap to get all the crud off, and lastly wax the car as by now there isnt any wax on it at all. Always works for me, but I have a silver 7g, probably different for you black 8gers since they dont have a clear coat.

o1naturalhigh
07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Have any of you use the Ice claybar?i have...first time couple days ago...never really used the actual claybar, so i don't know how to compare...i did,however, do portions at a time. it is kinda like waxing also

Dominicano
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Picks up all the dirty and crud off or under the paint, works awesome.

How I do it, is wash the car first with normal dish soap. This will take off all the wax on the car, make sure its washed as good as you can with a brush and such, next rinse it and make sure all the soap is off, lastly use the claybar and fluid and scrub the entire car. Next, wash the car again with normal car soap to get all the crud off, and lastly wax the car as by now there isnt any wax on it at all. Always works for me, but I have a silver 7g, probably different for you black 8gers since they dont have a clear coat.

Who said we don't have clear coat? albeit its very cheap but all 8g's have clear cloats

slc0817
08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Have any of you use the Ice claybar?i have...first time couple days ago...never really used the actual claybar, so i don't know how to compare...i did,however, do portions at a time. it is kinda like waxing also

I used the mothers clay bar, it was excellent. It took off spray paint better than anything else I tried. The Ice stuff didn't work as well. Mothers is definitely the better way to go.

Grider
02-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Yea I used mothers clay bar today. Car looks great. In fact it made some of the spray paint look like is was real paint.

DOHCstunr
02-08-2008, 08:55 PM
no. they have a 1 step enamel.

no clear

Galantman03
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Um no. I'm pretty sure they have 2 step enamel....