PDA

View Full Version : Neon kit on dash

ucool80
12-04-2002, 08:49 AM
I am thinking about running some neon glowing wire around the bezel, can i connect it to the dimmer switch on the bezel? and if i do that, does that mean that i will have to clip of the wires on the harness going to the dimmer switch and connect the neon wires? Which wires would i need to clip off or splice for live and ground?

Jeff
12-04-2002, 12:42 PM
I can't help you with the wiring bcuz i've never tried to splice into the dimmer, but I must warn you...I have purple neon string backlighting my switch panel for my neons...it's bright, real bright. If you're putting this on the inside of the clear plastic cover...expect one hell of a glare. Possibly to the point that you won't be able to see the gauges at night...not good. Just be careful with the placement of any neon lights.

ucool80
12-04-2002, 02:18 PM
no im just planning on putting it around the bezel on the outside. If I put a splice between the wire, the neon and the harness it shouldnt short circuit or anything?

Pinoy HELP ME!!

Dilemma
12-04-2002, 02:22 PM
i wired red neon looms around my dash bezel and i did connect it to the dimmer along with my indiglo guages and i didnt c any problems with it...the transformer lies inside the dash and i havent had any problems with it...as my guages turn on so does the red loom around the bezel https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif...no problems thus far

ucool80
12-04-2002, 02:24 PM
could you give some sort of basic instructions on how you did it? I will be connecting Halo gauges to the same switch as well.

Calie
12-04-2002, 02:42 PM
while reading through that little convo, i had an idea. why dont you light up the clear plastic? do u know what i mean? instead of lighting up the entire gauge cluster w/ neon, light up the plastic. like how they do amp racks. so that you would get a colored lense to see through. im gonna do that myself now that i had this creative idea. anywho thats just a little somethin to think about.

ucool80
12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
that would make it too bright inside the plastic. we are talking about the clear plastic over the gauges right?

pinoyesv6
12-04-2002, 03:02 PM
i'd str8 up forget the dimmer. i'd shoot for the fuse box. its what 2 more feet of wire and u have a lesser chance fo fucking something up...

ucool80
12-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Pinoy i am quite electrically challenged, could you basically tell me how would i connect to the fuse box or to anywhere else the neon wire?

pinoyesv6
12-04-2002, 04:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ucool80)</div><div class='quotemain'>Pinoy i am quite electrically challenged, could you basically tell me how would i connect to the fuse box or to anywhere else the neon wire?</div>

you don't connect the power source to the neon wire. thats just plain stupid. u conect the neon wire to the power source. pretty much all u do is is ground the ground wire. then u get the other wire and connect that to the fuse tap. that can be available at radio shack. pick a fuse, remove the fuse. slip the tap over the fuse and replace the fuse. you could just stick the wire in the fuse hole and replace the fuse but i've burned out many fuse boxes that way...

Calie
12-04-2002, 05:19 PM
it wouldnt make the plastic too bright, it would give it a glow in whatever color you chose. the only bright areas would be arond the edges of the plastic. as for the application ur trying to run i would put it on a switch.

ucool80
12-04-2002, 05:24 PM
man now im all scared to do the damn thing, LOL hey but that aint gonna stop me from getting someone to do it for me!

Ill check how much would some place charge me.

Lazarus
12-20-2002, 02:38 PM
I know it's kinda late for this post but I found these pictures from long time ago I forgot I took. one of my First mods on the Car.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/41e48fc6/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/Camstradamus/under+dash+1.jpg?bc7B4A.ACaagDKma

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/41e48fc6/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/Camstradamus/under+dash+2.jpg?bc7B4A.AXsS2jGxH