PDA

View Full Version : My Power Project

DNSerrano
05-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Alright, I have set everything aside. From my CarPC project to the interior and exterior projects, all that is gone. I am going to work really hard to make the Galant a power house. I have already gotten my 4G63 head and it has been fully rebuilt. I am hoping on installing the head once I get everything. for the swap. After that I will do a 5-speed manual swap then turbo it. After I turbo it I will upgrade the front axles. I would like the Galant to be all wheel drive, I have seen the drivetrain conversion done on a 3G Eclipse and do not know if I should do it or keep it FWD but that is a long way to go. I am going to then upgrade the turbo setup to an AMS $7k GT42R kit, hopefully generating more than 1,000hp (2.3l stoker Evo's make 1042hp with this setup).

For now though my main focus is getting the swap done.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5126/1026939fl2.jpg
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9941/1026941ah3.jpg

Interesting stuff I found while doing research though, the Evo intake plenum fits onto the Galant SOHC head, and also does the headers, obviously and vice versa. I hope I make this project come true. It's going to take some time and a lot of money but I am up for the challenge of making my grocery getter a monster, lol. Thanks everyone who has done this swap and has gathered the materials and things needed to perform the swap.

milo111000
05-10-2007, 01:52 AM
good luck david!!!! you got everything though right??? post more pics!!

DNSerrano
05-10-2007, 03:48 AM
Thanks Milo. I have to order some other parts that I need such as the adjustable cams, evo 8 valve cover, and the timing belt. The rest I found at car-parts.com which is really helpful in getting rare or not easy to obtain parts. I'll be running it N/A for maybe 2-weeks then I will do the 5-speed Evo swap. Slowly but surely you know. Just trying to put galants on the map.

milo111000
05-10-2007, 04:02 AM
Represent!!!! nice... don't you want to hybrid??? but then again.. noone has really come out succesful with that project.. good luck again

DNSerrano
05-10-2007, 05:05 AM
The way I see it, if a 2.3l stroker on an evo 8 engine can get you 1042hp, a 2.4l with an evo 8 head can probably pull of better numbers using the same materials. That will be in the long run like I said.

I'm going to keep it N/A until I get money to do a starter turbo on it, maybe something like a 16g off a stock evo just to see how the engine and takes it. Once I am satisfied with that, then I will make the transfer from my daily driver to full on track car.

I don't know if some have come successful out of the 4g63.64 turbo projects put I am going to try my best at it. The whole bottom end is going to be reworked, pistons will be slightly overbored, going to get only the best on this. Anyway still got a lot of work to do. My next post will be when I install the head and put some performance headers on it while it's n/a. I'm tired, good night! <---6:03 and has to be at work at 9am, lol! :lol:

mattalicslvr8g02
05-10-2007, 05:53 AM
If you plan on bosting past 10psi(which it looks like you are) you need to uprade the internals in the 64 block

polishmafia
05-10-2007, 08:39 AM
2.3l stoker Evo's make 1042hp with this setup

BAH! thats nothin if thats the number from the crank... ;) jk

good luck and keep us updated!

qnz
05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
you need to do some more reading. i see some misinformation

02redgalant
05-10-2007, 10:57 AM
i wanna see how this turns out..good luck man

n3oAcid24
05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5126/1026939fl2.jpg

so how much HP does the puppy add once its in the engine? LOL!!! jk man. good luck with your project man. ohhh and i dig your sig man. that cartoon blue 8G with bronze rims looks sick!!!!!! where you get it? i want it so i can change colors so i can use it as my sig too. :D

SinSere
05-10-2007, 01:58 PM
You have so much work you have no idea. You're comparing apples to oranges in your first post. EVO's are built stock from the factory for forced induction. A Galant is not. Not only the drivetrain, but all components of the motor. You have a head and thats it. You need a built bottom end to match, fuel management, manifolds, tranny,etc, etc... Lots of issues and things to think about. Without investing $10k plus, you are realistically looking at 400-450whp. All the luck to you in the build. I hope you got deep pockets and lots of help. Good luck.

GOOSEY2099
05-10-2007, 02:43 PM
^+1 Believe me! This aint cheap. An evo head is useless without everything else that has to be done. But good luck dude!

neepar
05-10-2007, 02:54 PM
1000 hp FWD :roll: will not be fun...

phizzalot
05-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Good luck with that... I have hit a wall in my turbo setup when looking at how much every little thing that is needed to go turbo correctly costs...

To say the least I could use the money instead for a down payment on an evo9 :shock:

4g63lover
05-10-2007, 06:08 PM
the GT42R kit from AMS is a monstrous kit for FWD.

EDIT: AMS silver EVO spins through second and its AWD and on slicks, imagine FWD....

another edit: saw that actual car this weekend. it spins through fourth on slicks.... AWD.

DNSerrano
05-10-2007, 06:17 PM
You have so much work you have no idea. You're comparing apples to oranges in your first post. EVO's are built stock from the factory for forced induction. A Galant is not. Not only the drivetrain, but all components of the motor. You have a head and thats it. You need a built bottom end to match, fuel management, manifolds, tranny,etc, etc... Lots of issues and things to think about. Without investing $10k plus, you are realistically looking at 400-450whp. All the luck to you in the build. I hope you got deep pockets and lots of help. Good luck.

I know this. Just because I have not posted it does not mean I have no information on it or have not taken it into consideration. Everything you are thinking about I will do. Yes it's just a cylinder head but at least it's a start. I've made my decision about this and no it will not be done in a month or two months, it will be a while until I get it to where I want to.

"I am hoping on installing the head once I get everything for the swap" When I said everything I mean everything. Mostly all aftermarket including overbored pistons, rods, camshafts, everything. I have bought some things OEM, but nothing that goes into the engine. I understand some people are going to do this swap just to do it, some want to be fast, I just want to convert my daily driver into a track car, capable of outstanding numbers.

I just find it funny how mostly everybody doubts. You've all seen Evo's with a reworked 4g64 bottom end with this kind of setup doing 1khp plus, why can't it be done in a Galant? Why can't we take the transmission, drivetrain, fuel system, and engine management from the Evo 8s and put it into a Galant. Yeah it's going to be hard work, long hours, and big money to get this done, but don't expect it to be done yesterday.

Cali has paved the way in performance and so has Stewi, SpicyGalant and others. I know QNZ will be going through this as well but I just want to take it to another level for my own personal reasons. Anyway I don't want to sound ignorant in this post or anything like that I was just trying to show you guys what I am going to start and hopefully finish. Thank you for your support guys!

Cali
05-10-2007, 08:10 PM

I know this. Just because I have not posted it does not mean I have no information on it or have not taken it into consideration. Everything you are thinking about I will do. Yes it's just a cylinder head but at least it's a start. I've made my decision about this and no it will not be done in a month or two months, it will be a while until I get it to where I want to.

"I am hoping on installing the head once I get everything for the swap" When I said everything I mean everything. Mostly all aftermarket including overbored pistons, rods, camshafts, everything. I have bought some things OEM, but nothing that goes into the engine. I understand some people are going to do this swap just to do it, some want to be fast, I just want to convert my daily driver into a track car, capable of outstanding numbers.

I just find it funny how mostly everybody doubts. You've all seen Evo's with a reworked 4g64 bottom end with this kind of setup doing 1khp plus, why can't it be done in a Galant? Why can't we take the transmission, drivetrain, fuel system, and engine management from the Evo 8s and put it into a Galant. Yeah it's going to be hard work, long hours, and big money to get this done, but don't expect it to be done yesterday.

Cali has paved the way in performance and so has Stewi, SpicyGalant and others. I know QNZ will be going through this as well but I just want to take it to another level for my own personal reasons. Anyway I don't want to sound ignorant in this post or anything like that I was just trying to show you guys what I am going to start and hopefully finish. Thank you for your support guys!

i think what he was trying to say is that you can't just slap parts together and expect high numbers. most important of all you need to find a competent tuner.

1000+hp in a fwd car is no fun at all unless you plan to make it drag strip car only. not to mention the fact to reach that goal you're realisically looking at 15k -20k easily, if not more.

not trying to discourage you at all just make sure you're willing to invest the money and headache to make it work, cause trust me, things WILL break.

silver_beast98
05-10-2007, 08:37 PM
with 1000 hp u better be AWD, or own a tire factory! lol It all sounds pretty crazy but its also possible so if u got the funds, why not? DO IT BIG!

seth98esT
05-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Its possible, but whats the point? Its not going to be streetable at that power so its going to be a track only car? A drag car at that.

DNSerrano
05-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Its possible, but whats the point? Its not going to be streetable at that power so its going to be a track only car? A drag car at that.

Yes I want to make the Galant a track car.

SinSere
05-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I just wanted to make sure you were looking realistically at all that needs to be done for it to make big numbers and be ready for it. As Seth pointed out, 1000hp on a FWD would not be plausible. You would probably run the same times in the 1/4 with 1000hp vs. 600hp as you would be just spinning through every gear out of the gate. traction control is a must and FWD is not the best for it. It'll be a long journey. Learn as much as possible through the whole process and again good luck.

amnbrueckner
05-11-2007, 05:39 PM
I read some place that AMS has spent over $20k on their engine and they rebuild it every few months (I cant remember where I read it) Also, what trans are you planning on running? as far as I know that much power is going to eat up transmissions faster than a fat kid on cake. Im not trying to discourage you but thats going to take a crap ton of work and money. Ive met one of the AWD 3G eclipses and he sais it want hard but mind you he is running a near stock engine

dknight3
05-20-2007, 01:01 AM
good luck!

lonestar22
05-20-2007, 01:42 AM
screw AWD. go RWD with a built rear end (custom drive shaft/half shafts)

4g63lover
05-20-2007, 01:54 AM
I read some place that AMS has spent over $20k on their engine and they rebuild it every few months (I cant remember where I read it) Also, what trans are you planning on running? as far as I know that much power is going to eat up transmissions faster than a fat kid on cake. Im not trying to discourage you but thats going to take a crap ton of work and money. Ive met one of the AWD 3G eclipses and he sais it want hard but mind you he is running a near stock engine

yeah that car is nuts! seriously.

anyways. more power to you bro. I'm doing the same thing. except im aiming for around atleast 600fwhp. or however much power i need to get it down the 1320 in 10.99 or quicker. :twisted:

Make sure to get slicks and you'll probably need a wheelie bar for traction. yes, I said it wheelie bar for FWD. and remember about axles too.

good luck man! looking forward to seeing this!

Stewi
05-20-2007, 09:52 AM
I like your enthusiasm. This is all good food for thought. I just want to get a grasp of what your goals and intensions are for this car. I saw you wrote that you want it to be a track only car which is fine. Now since your looking for a ton of horsepower im guessing you want it to be a drag car. Do you just want this to be a car that is really really fast and take it to the track to show it off, or do you want to race it in a sanctioned racing league like the Nopi circuit or Import NHRA events?

The reason I asked that question is because these sanctioning bodies have strict rules on driveline modifications. Under the rules of both leagues you would be able to do the 5 speed swap and headswap within the limits of the rules because mitsu actually made a few hundred galant in 5 speed for the 8g body style and as long as you retain the 64 block, technically the motor is still from the factory, all you would add is a turbo so that would put you into the +1 power adder racing bracket. However, if you attempt to do any sort of AWD or RWD conversion, you now change into a much higher class, typically If your drive configuration is anything other then stock they force you to race in Outlaw RWD. Im not sure if your familiar but cars in that class run 6 second 1/4 mile passes and have over $100,000 into the car. Those cars are built by engineers, just a basic body and frame with nothing else is about $25,000.

Also in regard to AMS's drag car. They can cheat the system because their car came from the factory with AWD so it lets them race in a lower class. Also, AMS rebuilds that motor in that 1000+whp car every few months. So every few months that car gets another $5,000 worth of work done to it. Now comes the tranny and transfer case. Stock EVOs that drag race blow out transfer cases like nobodys business. So now you need to get a tranny and T-case built, thats another $8,000 including the parts. Then the axles, EVO axles suck at anything more than 500whp. Driveshaft shop sells a complete front and back kit for $4,000. You can obtain all these parts, but they will still break during competition. I guess at this point im just rambling on. The point im trying to make is this, I like your line of thinking, your taking the road less traveled like myself, Cali and Spicy have done. I just dont want to see you drop $40,000 into a car that at best will run a high 8 second 1/4 mile and wont be able to be competitive in a class of cars running 2 full seconds faster. This is the same reason I didnt do the AWD swap. Not many people know this, but I had a wrecked EVO, a complete car, motor, trans, t-case, rear differential, subframe, ecu, everything. I opted not to go AWD for that same reason. I would rather stay FWD and have common FWD problems racing against other FWD cars having the same problems as me. Best of luck in whichever road you travel, if you need help, just post up or PM me.

DNSerrano
05-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes I would like the car in the future after everything is done to be a track only car, just to drag race. I have heard of Nopi's, NHRA and even SCCA, but in the long run I am not willing to go down that route. Too much hassle with rulings and classes. Like putting regulations on a vehicle you know has major potential. Who knows though, I might not even break 1khp but at least I'm trying to. Right now I'm just slowly getting everything for the headswap and the bottom end. After that I might do the AWD conversion on it, but thats going to be a while. I might head to NY on a trip this summer so I might get to meet TGCNY lol. I have an uncle that lives around White Plains. Anyway I will update once everything is complete. Thanks Stewi!

SinSere
05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm with you. Screw gettin certified. If I ever get mine running, I will probably get booted for not having a roll cage in a lot of places. It'll be fun though:) If I had all the money in the world to do it, damn right I would. I'm just trying to afford the motor build. Take your time man with the build. slow and steady wins the race.