PDA

View Full Version : 50 Paint Job...Amazing Results

jusmills
05-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I was just looking around the 'net for articles on painting and came across this article where a guy painted his car with rustoleum (http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html)...seriously I was skeptical but kept reading and followed a link to a mopar website where others have done this with just as great results. Since the galant is getting up there in age, this might be something that I may try. Here are some pics of two of the guys work, these are after painting shots:

http://www.rickwrench.com/images-sounds/rustweb/polished4.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02764.jpg

Personally I think that painting the car white will yield the best results.

SkylineG1
05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Looks good to me, but I wonder how they look up close?

cdipier2
05-10-2007, 10:18 PM
ive seen articles on this before. surprisingly it turns out real well. if i had the time and another car do drive this would be something i would try

njjfudge
05-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I remember someone posted about this a year or more back.

jusmills
05-10-2007, 10:21 PM
If you check on the site, closeup it looks really good...he put six coats of rustoleum, wetsanding between each coat or 2. He wrote that he continued painting until he got complete coverage. You still have to do all the prep work though (dents dings removed bondo body filling where needed) no primer though, but I'm sure that using a primer would help with coverage and smoothing out the surface. Like I said read the article...here's more detail (http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1) on how to do it

beam514
05-12-2007, 03:59 AM
wow those cars look great

maybe ill try it this summer
i would definately put a clear coat on it though
the color looks dull in some pics

pvu_rida
05-12-2007, 08:26 AM
nice

Shadow19
05-12-2007, 08:37 AM
I painted my body kit with rustoleum... Its not the BEST paint in the world. I wouldnt paint my whole car with the shit but it does its job. Its a very touchy paint... If each coat doesnt damn near dry all the way the shit will curl up.. Not good.. It took a few pieces of my kit 2 months to completely dry and after they dried they didnt look as glossy... So there is something you might want to take into considerations.. On the other hand.. Its cheap shit if you have a gun sprayer and you can thin it down with coleman lamp fuel.........

pinoyesv6
05-12-2007, 10:03 AM
its 50 bucks to pretty much just apply the paint. the costs adds up when u add in factors such as prep work and stuff you need to do after the paint is applied.

with that said, i wonder how that would compare to if you want with an el-cheapo paint job at a chain like maaaco and did all the prep and post paint work yourself.

Shadow19
05-12-2007, 09:52 PM
its 50 bucks to pretty much just apply the paint. the costs adds up when u add in factors such as prep work and stuff you need to do after the paint is applied.

with that said, i wonder how that would compare to if you want with an el-cheapo paint job at a chain like maaaco and did all the prep and post paint work yourself.

Unless you plan to sell the car.. dont go cheap with paint..... Maaco doesnt use primer from what ive been told.. they just use a spray that softens the existing paint so that the new paint sticks to it....

DOHCstunr
05-12-2007, 10:04 PM
idk,
to get paint to look great and last it takes a LOT of work,

a lot.

i'd rather just cut 800 cash to my guy under that table and get it a new car quality paint job and body work at the dealership, with PPG, not rustoleum.
in a booth with an oven and a dust free and moisture controlled environment.

you know what the best part is?(other than marveling at my shiny car every day)
i didn't have to lift a finger.
i just dropped my car off, then picked it up 4 days later.

only labor i had to do was installing my mirrors, bumper, and spoiler.

i'm not one to brag, but
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/sethmo38/IMG_1402.jpg
"save your money till you can afford the good stuff" FTW!!!

pinoyesv6
05-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Unless you plan to sell the car.. dont go cheap with paint..... Maaco doesnt use primer from what ive been told.. they just use a spray that softens the existing paint so that the new paint sticks to it....

i still would think that the el-cheapo maaco paint job is better than applying coleman lamp fuel thinned paint that you apply with a roller in the middle of your driveway.

DOHCstunr
05-13-2007, 12:02 AM

i still would think that the el-cheapo maaco paint job is better than applying coleman lamp fuel thinned paint that you apply with a roller in the middle of your driveway.
lmao

Diamndsr4eva
05-13-2007, 12:27 AM
yeah....i dunno.....i think i like the idea of getting a proffesional paint job rather than going the cheap rustoleum route. Who knows what those cars will look like in 5-10 yrs? Ill go with stunr on this one save up and get the good stuff.

SLS2000
05-13-2007, 01:47 AM
x2 on the macco.

Rustoleumb sounds like a lot of work with near good results. Sanding and prepping the car well and then going for the macco special sound better. However, not if you are planning to keep the car for long.

my 02

beam514
05-13-2007, 02:41 PM
yea i think i was pretty tired when i posted that i dont know what i was thinking haha

i got up the next morning and was like.. wow, i wanted to paint my car with that???

Serstylz2
05-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I got my car done at MAACO... for 650 the presidential package.. aint very presidential IMO

I dont think they use something to stick to the old paint, because when i wash my car and the sunlight hits it, the paint looks brown like they sanded it down but didnt do enough coats to make it a deep black. But its been said, if you can save up, get it done at a paint shop. Just maybe not MAACO. But I'm selling it so not a big worry.

Jeffylou87
05-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Why sell it?

Stewi
05-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Just an FYI on Rustoleum paint. I used rustoleum paint last year the first time I painted my engine bay black. I stripped down the entire engine bay, grinded off all the rust from the welds, sanded everything down, blew it clean with air, then wiped it all down with degreaser, applied 3 coats of primer allowing time between each coat as per Rustoleum's directions, let it fully cure, wetsanded the primer, repeated the process all over again with semigloss black paint, I even went as far as to maintain the temp in my garage with the ideal drying conditions that Rustoleum suggests. After all that, which ended up taking about 20 working hours not including drying time, the paint looked GREAT. However, I can chip that black paint off the primer with my fingernail. It is by no means durable. I totally wouldnt recommend it on the exterior of your car because its gonna chip all the time.

jusmills
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I did some more reading on this...apparently what the guy is doing is thinning the rustoleum, not straight with mineral spirits (ie something that flashes fast). By diluting the paint more or less with this stuff you can get the paint to set/cure pretty quickly. Using the paint at full thickness, when it does cure it will shrink leading to a crazed surface. You also need to paint in very thin coats, it may take more time to do but its a DIY, I wouldn't really care if it takes 2 days or 2 months. Also as far as prep, body work or other, in my case there isn't very much body damage on my car, I'm not talking pulling out huge dents but door dings/paint scrapes from work-folk who just swing their door open hitting any car parked close by and pulling off bumpers/trim isn't very hard at all.

The dullish color comes in because rustoleum is an enamel paint which is fundamentally different that 2 or 3 stage urethanes that are used on cars today. I wonder if this would be alleviated by using rustoleum's clear coat...the clear is really what gives the paint on cars today depth (well that and metallic paint) in addition to protection.

quicksilver22
06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Why sell it?

so he can get his mazda 6(9).... :lol: :lol: :lol:

qnz
06-07-2007, 08:09 PM
i use rustoleum on my car on all parts that are slightly rusting. (corners of engine bay, bottom of my door, inner fender lips, chassis where i cut for jdm headlights.) i used a wire brush to scrape the rust away and then used some rustoleum to paint it the color i used matches my silver 95% and im happy. you cant tell i used rusoleum in places unless i point out the spots.