PDA

View Full Version : Hydroplaning

Auto-9
12-04-2002, 01:02 PM
For some reason my V6 hydroplanes really, really easily. I already bought new tires and it still isn't helping. For as long as I can remember this car hasn't ever been too stable in wet conditions. I lucked out today since I came home when there was no traffic and I broke free on a curve going only 43 mph and slid 2 and a half lanes over to my left. My old 4 banger could take it at 80 in the rain...anyone else's Galant slippery? I'm almost afraid to drive in the rain again.

Xavier22
12-04-2002, 01:08 PM
My G-ride HydropLanes at times, but the tires i've just gotten
(Toyo Proxes) are better than my Michelin MXV4's I used to have and they handle better in wet weather!!!

Yeah, but it kind of sucks when you hydroplane - but come to think of it, i've never hydroplaned 2 lanes over, just a lil'!!!

what kind of tires you got, and whats the rating on traction AA, A, B etc..?

Auto-9
12-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Good question I'm at the library right now I'll check when I get home...still using the factory Eagle RS-A from Goodyear, have yet to mount my new Michelins.

NRG
12-04-2002, 05:02 PM
I think its all in the tires. The reason I said that is because the day I got my car was the day there was heavy rain and I drove home in 80 MPH and had no problems.....But 1 and a half year later, I drove in the same rain condition and guess what, my car didn't handle well at all.....Hydroplaneing everywhere.....

BlueESV6
12-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Also check tire pressures and the type of road surface. Certain roads here in GA when it rains don't drain as well and are smooth.. the water puddles up on them making it more hazardous. I would suspect the old goodyears are due for a change though....

Michelines are good tires... The MX4's are made for wet conditions aren't they?

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Fishboy55
12-04-2002, 09:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Good question I'm at the library right now I'll check when I get home...still using the factory Eagle RS-A from Goodyear, have yet to mount my new Michelins.</div>
Well there's your problem right there. Those Goodyear Eagles are the worst pieces of shit tires I've ever seen. I only have one complaint about my Galant and it was those shitty tires. My ride improved a lot after I got rid of them. They were so bad Mitsu stopped putting them on Galants. Once you mount those Michelins, you'll be amazed. Now get back to the books and stop tying up the PC's!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Chip

RedGalant2k1
12-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Like Chip said....get better tires.

TJC
12-05-2002, 02:38 AM
Like everyone says, better tires...... AND SLOW DOWN! Double AA traction rated tires and new treads wouldn't hurt either, lol.

Auto-9
12-05-2002, 09:33 AM
If I slow down anymore I'll be hitting illegal speeds on the freeway https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

burthold
12-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Those goodyears suck ass! I only had about 10k miles on them and all but one was bald in spots.

luxcrusr2000
12-05-2002, 01:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>Those goodyears suck ass! I only had about 10k miles on them and all but one was bald in spots.</div>

I second that. The stock Goodyears suck. I replaced mine with Michelin Symmetry touring tires at Wal-Mart (of all places LOL-cost about $370) and now my ride handles well in all conditions. I can hardly spin tires in the rain b/c they handle so well!

Jeff
12-05-2002, 01:51 PM
try driving in snow...on my way to work this morning, I did more countersteering than typical driving....scary but fun.

Auto-9
12-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Done it...in a RWD https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
12-05-2002, 02:02 PM
actaully my goodyears are pretty decent in the snow...hmmm maybe its that one extra inch of width i have on my wheels

Jeff
12-05-2002, 02:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Done it...in a RWD https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>
:shock: DAAAAMMMNNN :shock:

Auto-9
12-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Someone suggested that maybe I'm hydroplaning because of my drop...changes in my aero profile is causing my car to lift up. It's normally unstable at around 80 mph now and I've always attributed it to bad alignment/balance in the past...what you guys think about this? UH won't just let me park my car in their wind tunnel for testing hehe

TJC
12-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Someone suggested that maybe I'm hydroplaning because of my drop...changes in my aero profile is causing my car to lift up. It's normally unstable at around 80 mph now and I've always attributed it to bad alignment/balance in the past...what you guys think about this? UH won't just let me park my car in their wind tunnel for testing hehe

The single biggest factor is the tires; b/c this is where the rubber meets the road and the only thing holding the car on the road. Ride height has absolutely nothing to do with hydroplaning unless you have your ride like a low rider (back end on the ground and front up in the air) and going over 100mph where the air can be a factor in lifting the car. Aside from that, suspension and alignment does play a roll in how well your tires stay in contact with the road. If your drop is extreme, you need a camber kit to put it back to factory specs so you'll have a better contact patch with your tires.

Auto-9
12-07-2002, 12:33 PM
We'll see...I'm getting my new tires put on when I go in for alignment and balancing etc...

RedGalant2k1
12-08-2002, 12:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeffs2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Done it...in a RWD https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>
:shock: DAAAAMMMNNN :shock:</div>

i actually prefer RWD in snow...much easier to drive IMHO. Think about it? is it easier to push or pull something?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeffs2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>try driving in snow...on my way to work this morning, I did more countersteering than typical driving....scary but fun.</div>

try driving in snow on summer tires, thats what i am doing right now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

stephen7983
12-08-2002, 11:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeffs2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Done it...in a RWD https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>
:shock: DAAAAMMMNNN :shock:</div>

i actually prefer RWD in snow...much easier to drive IMHO. Think about it? is it easier to push or pull something?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeffs2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>try driving in snow...on my way to work this morning, I did more countersteering than typical driving....scary but fun.</div>

try driving in snow on summer tires, thats what i am doing right now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif</div>

Well I don't think RWD is any good in snow. Try driving a Mustang (RWD) in snow, and you'll see what i'm talking about. Besides, if you think about it, a FWD car would be easier to steer in snow. Let's say you're paralelled park, it would be easier for you to get out because the front end will get a better grip on the snow since the wheels are gonna be spinning in the direction you're steering. A RWD on the other hand will tend to push the car spinning only forward in one direction. Meaning the car will keep going straight no matter how much steering you do.

Auto-9
12-08-2002, 12:09 PM
All I know is my dad prefers driving FWD to RWD in snow and ice, as do I...my one experience alone scares me to death with RWD https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

pinoyesv6
12-08-2002, 01:14 PM
actaully i do agree with dave about rwd in the snow. i mean yea if you are used to fwd it can be a lil bit harder to drive but if you think about it hard, it could be better. i learned this first hand while driving on water ice, wet leaves snow etc. for example, lets say i lost the front end of my rwd car ok yea i lost total steering control but i still do have my drive wheels in the rear to bring me to safety if lets say i put myself in a bad situation. now if i were to lose my front end on a fwd car, not only do i lose my steering but also my drive wheels.

anyways, its so much funner with rwd u can do funner things like spinning the car easier and other wreckless things like that u do in an empty parking garage

Jeff
12-09-2002, 06:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>actaully i do agree with dave about rwd in the snow. i mean yea if you are used to fwd it can be a lil bit harder to drive but if you think about it hard, it could be better. i learned this first hand while driving on water ice, wet leaves snow etc. for example, lets say i lost the front end of my rwd car ok yea i lost total steering control but i still do have my drive wheels in the rear to bring me to safety if lets say i put myself in a bad situation. now if i were to lose my front end on a fwd car, not only do i lose my steering but also my drive wheels.

anyways, its so much funner with rwd u can do funner things like spinning the car easier and other wreckless things like that u do in an empty parking garage</div>

true...very true

TJC
12-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Actually, IMO I prefer FWD in wet and snow. It's true that if you have a RWD, you divide up the task of steering and drive wheels but I feel you don't buy anything by this. In fact, when you combine the two in a FWD, you also gain something, the ability to pull the car. You can now accellerate or floor it depending how much pull you need to correct the situation; something you cannot do with a RWD. Just like in that James Bond movie where he was in a FWD car and the car was cut in half but he can just keep going. Both has it's pro's and con's but in wet or snow, FWD has it's advantages. :wink:

pinoyesv6
12-12-2002, 01:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'> Just like in that James Bond movie where he was in a FWD car and the car was cut in half but he can just keep going. </div>

just remember the galant's fuel tank is in the back hahahaha

Auto-9
12-12-2002, 08:08 AM
Hehehehehe

TJC
12-12-2002, 10:40 AM
Just like in that James Bond movie where he was in a FWD car and the car was cut in half but he can just keep going.

just remember the galant's fuel tank is in the back hahahaha

:mrgreen: point taken, hahaha.

Chubbieqt
12-21-2002, 10:07 PM
My Galant :8G: started to hydroplane in the fast lane on I95 on a sunny day and I was only doing 93mph I took it to Firestone and they put somekind of weights on my tires or something :dumbass: but since then I haven't had a problem :oops: :twisted:

a2ggalantondubs
12-29-2002, 11:08 PM
ill tell you the problem i had the same thing happen its all in the alignment cuz a soon as i took it and had it aligned it stoped hydroplaning cuz when you car gets lowerd it has a problem wit the tires facing each other ><not that much though