PDA

View Full Version : Fosgate amp problem

Prophet3976
05-13-2007, 03:22 AM
I have the P4002 hooked up to two 12' P2's. My amp protection light lit up today and i cant figure out what the problem is. Its not over heating and i disconnected and reconnected everything. Any idea on what could be going on??

My amp will cut on for 3 secs, turn off for like 5, turn back on for another 3, and just continue in that order...

There's no way you can toast the positive or negative cord right? If you can, how am i suppose to know if they are?

Prophet3976
05-13-2007, 03:42 AM
I got another question, could it be that my battery is getting ready to die?? Because i noticed when my subs cut back on and it hits, all the lights in my car will dim and then the amp will turn off... It doesnt stay on for 3 secs anymore. It will stay on as long as no music is playing but when my subs hit, it will turn off. I still cuts on in 5 secs, but as soon as it hits again all the lights dim and the amp turns off...

mattalicslvr8g02
05-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Yes that could mean you do not have enough power to power the subs.. it could also mean it is over heating.. how long did you let it sit before you tried it again?

and can i suggest that you get a volt meter gauge ... it helps a lot when you have a system.. with the gauge you should be running anywhere between 10-13 (if the gauge goes that high) volts when the subs hit.. if you get any lower I would suggest a new bat

01blackG
05-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I had the same problem once before! Do you pound the crap out of your speakers? If so you may have damaged the voice coils. What happens when you damage them to the point that they touch is, every time they pound they short curcuit the amp. Causing it to shut off, then the amp resets, then the speakers pound and short curcuit again. I would try to barrow or hook up some different speakers and see what happens. Also dont run the gain any higher then 3/4 power in the long run it will save the amp. I still have my rockford and its about 7 to 8 yrs old.