PDA

View Full Version : opening JDM tail lights? how should I go about this?

bigbluetotoro
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Hey guys. I have a pretty bad problem with one of my JDM tails leaking and its been collecting rust on the inside for quite sometime now. I'd really like to open the tail lights up and clean it out/ fix it. has anyone opened JDM tails before? whats the best way to do this? from what I understand you can use a heat gun. and once I get them opened whats the best way to seal them back up? if anyone could help. or if any of you guys have done this before, pelase chime in. thanks so much.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/CRSphoto/galant/condensation.jpg
Its about three times worse now :(

mattalicslvr8g02
05-14-2007, 01:50 PM
maybe water proof silicone or calk to seal them up

o1naturalhigh
05-14-2007, 06:38 PM
since mine aren't on at this moment...i took a quick peek...i'm not too sure about taking it apart, but, there is 2 small screws on the outer-inside of it...maybe if you unscrew those 2, you'll be able to help yourself?? sorry bigbluetotoro, i don't have problems with mine, so i'm not taking mine apart... :)

furiousgtz
05-14-2007, 06:54 PM
are u getting fog inside?

pinoyesv6
05-14-2007, 07:56 PM
first thing i'd do is fill up the tails with water, and put back in the sockets without the bulbs. then look for leaks.

for all you know, you might have a crack in the housing or water is getting in through the sockets. but yea, its good to know where water is getting in so you can be sure to fix that also so you don't have to open them up again.

so yea after that i'd just work at it with the heat gun. just work your way around i/d probably start at the bottom of the tail, on the inside part, closest to the trunk lid and work your way to the other corner on the bottom then start working upwards. but thats just me.

to seal it i'd use some silicone sealant to seal it up. then fill the tail back up with distilled water, check for leaks again, and then have the tails dry fully before installing them.

bigbluetotoro
05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
once I use the heat gun should they just come apart them selfs with out warping?

pinoyesv6
05-14-2007, 09:18 PM
the sealant should warm up and soften before the tails do. so you should gently pry them apart. if you wait for them to come apart themselves, it might be too late.

bigbluetotoro
05-15-2007, 11:00 AM
ok cool. thanks for your help dude.

rollingwithdubz
05-16-2007, 06:38 PM
let me know if this works, and how long its taking you with the headgun. I'v had a set of tails I've been tryin to open for the last two weeks going the oven route. Iv tried 150 degrees, 250 degrees, for up to 10 minutes at a time, and no sign of the glue/silicon/sealant softening up at all