PDA

View Full Version : What exhaust is best?

Jose
05-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I have a 2001 galant 4 cylinder and i want to get as much horsepower i can out of this car but i dont know what kind of exhaust to get i want the full exhaust system from the front all the way to the back i would really appreciate your help :?

4g63lover
05-14-2007, 10:57 PM
if you go N/A and your I4, I suggest, DC header, high-flow cat or test pipe, 2.5" exhaust piping and a straight through muffler.

you dont necessarily have to buy a catback exhaust made for the car, you can go to pretty much any muffler shop and ask for a full 2.5" exhaust sytem from the cat-back and they'll pretty much just remove your stock system and make you a custom cat-back. you'll save money that way and benefit the same results as an expensive cat-back.

but, remember its going to be pretty loud, so if you want a quiet tone, go for an oval muffler or a long resonator.

I'm going to re-do my exhaust system also, only difference Im going to use a less expensive header. Im going to do a 2.5" catback with an oval tanabe muffler.

milo111000
05-15-2007, 01:53 AM
no exhaust is the best exhaust...

Wesker
05-15-2007, 02:27 AM

I was going to say something of this nature. If you're looking to make maximum horsepower, I'd say DC header and an exhaust cutout.

Koncept
05-15-2007, 06:00 AM

Eh...if there is nothing else done to the car, having no exhaust isn't going to help anything at all. I drove across town without anything from the cat back when I was replacing my system because one of the bolts was rusted on (I had to go to my friend's place to get a torch). The car felt slower, and goddamn it was annoyingly loud.

4g63lover
05-15-2007, 08:17 AM
no exhaust is bad if the car is N/A and stock. backpressure is bad but not enough of it is just as bad as too much of it.

n3oAcid24
05-15-2007, 08:47 AM
i thought the RPW headers are better for our cars then the DC headers???

4g63lover
05-15-2007, 08:50 AM

but thing is, im pretty sure they stopped making those. You're right though. The RPW headers were dyno tested and proven of 20+hp gain over stock.

n3oAcid24
05-15-2007, 08:53 AM

but thing is, im pretty sure they stopped making those. You're right though. The RPW headers were dyno tested and proven of 20+hp gain over stock.

yea.. i think tearstone still sells them though. but its like $540 or something like that. im going to get me a set though. :D

Joe (G8)
05-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Would the RPW headers fit the Megan cat-back without any modifications? The DC headers? If so, what kind of modifications?
The DC headers are not 50 state legal, if I'm correct. But would there be any risk at all for having it here in MN? As far as I know, the motor vehicle inspection program ended in '99.

Yes yes, pollution is bad. :wink:

n3oAcid24
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Would the RPW headers fit the Megan cat-back without any modifications? The DC headers? If so, what kind of modifications?
The DC headers are not 50 state legal, if I'm correct. But would there be any risk at all for having it here in MN? As far as I know, the motor vehicle inspection program ended in '99.

Yes yes, pollution is bad. :wink:

the headers and cat-back should be find. you are correct about the DC not being legal. it gets rid on the cat. converter. the RPW can have a cat. converter. i found the RPW headers for $345 which isnt bad at all... :D

kungfuwaffles
05-16-2007, 07:53 AM
uhh..where did you find them for that price...? ...i need that info..lol

n3oAcid24
05-16-2007, 08:47 AM
uhh..where did you find them for that price...? ...i need that info..lol

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=343&category_id=64&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

lonestar22
05-16-2007, 05:01 PM
CMF headers also give u a 20hp gain

http://www.eclipseforums.org/article36.html