PDA

View Full Version : Removing spray paint

luxcrusr2000
12-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know the best way to remove spray paint from plastic interior parts? I have an extra bezel that I was experimenting on but it didn't turn out the way I planned. I would like to at least TRY to get the paint off and start over. Let me know.

pinoyesv6
12-05-2002, 02:06 PM
if you are gonna repaint it. just sand it off with some fine grit sandpaper

luxcrusr2000
12-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks Pinoy

BlueESV6
12-05-2002, 08:54 PM
What about some paint remover like stripez? May work....

pinoyesv6
12-05-2002, 08:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>What about some paint remover like stripez? May work....</div>

stripper might work also but IMO most strippers are messier and take longer. also check to see if there could be a chemical reaction to the plastic. don't want to melt the plastic bezel.

luxcrusr2000
12-13-2002, 01:46 PM
Actually I used Pinoy's suggestion and sanded it, but I found a sanding sponge that I got from Home Depot a long time ago, put some water in it, and wet-sanded the bezel. It worked pretty well. Now I have an extra inner bezel that I think is going to have to be stripped before I can re-paint it again...somehow when I was sanding it paint flakes stayed in there and I can't get them out, especially in the corners. Anyone got an extra inner bezel they want to get rid of?

pinoyesv6
12-13-2002, 01:48 PM
Actually I used Pinoy's suggestion and sanded it, but I found a sanding sponge that I got from Home Depot a long time ago, put some water in it, and wet-sanded the bezel. It worked pretty well. Now I have an extra inner bezel that I think is going to have to be stripped before I can re-paint it again...somehow when I was sanding it paint flakes stayed in there and I can't get them out, especially in the corners. Anyone got an extra inner bezel they want to get rid of?

try a sanding pen to get into the crevices. and then just use some maybe water or compressed air to clean things out...

Tiptronic
12-13-2002, 01:53 PM

yup, take your time, and sand it down as far as you can, prime it, paint it. if you start using paint thinners and such, the chemicals might make the plastic melt so to speak. it happened to me, and i had to order new pieces

HeadAche
12-13-2002, 08:59 PM

yup, take your time, and sand it down as far as you can, prime it, paint it. if you start using paint thinners and such, the chemicals might make the plastic melt so to speak. it happened to me, and i had to order new pieces

I had that happen me once.. it sucks when u see ur pieces turn out all warped..