PDA

View Full Version : burnt smell from engine bay and muffler

RoOkS
05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Hello all,

Just had a new 2.5" exhaust system put in .. well minus the headers/extractors.
drove home yesterday through the freeway and i couldnt help smelling that burnt oil smell when i got back. still happens when i drive around later in the night.

the oil has been recently changed (200-300km ago). currently i have 20w-60 in there now. the ticker weight to help reduce lifter noise. had 15w-60 in 5000km ago.
perhaps i have the wrong grade of oil? or i guess a compression test maybe required ? would a compression test be a fair indicator for worn seals?

your thoughts ?

thanks in advance.

Kwikfox
05-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Why are you running 20w 60 oil in the first place?!?! Thats about the consitency of Molasses on a cold winter night! That oil is almost the consitency of gear oil. Anyways, besides that, it could be possible that you have a bad seal, or one of the seals was put in incorrectly. But their are many reasons that you could be buning oil... are you sure its burning oil, or could it be your exhaust?

SkylineG1
05-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Why are you running 20w 60 oil in the first place?!?! Thats about the consitency of Molasses on a cold winter night! That oil is almost the consitency of gear oil. Anyways, besides that, it could be possible that you have a bad seal, or one of the seals was put in incorrectly. But their are many reasons that you could be buning oil... are you sure its burning oil, or could it be your exhaust?

Well he does live in Australia.

Rooks check to see if your oil cap is on tightly. Did you smell any oil before you did the exhaust?

ct96mitsug
05-25-2007, 04:48 AM
maybe theres oil on the exhaust from when it was installed. if you have oil/grease on your hands when you install it, all the oil is gonna burn off. but thats only for the first time you drive it, if it smells constantly theres something wrong. not my area of expertese.

4-G-rim
05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Check the underside for any signs of oil leaks. It might be as simple as torquing the drain plug a little bit tighter or replacing the washer gasket.

Sometimes when a new exhaust is installed it does emit a "burnt" smell but eventually goes away shortly.

DOHCstunr
05-26-2007, 01:16 PM
yeah all the linings of the exhaust get baked, as well as gaskets, and the fiberglass inside the resonators and muffler.

you are using way to thick an oil.
i'd hate to see what your oil pressure gauge reads.