PDA

View Full Version : Installing Radiator

Airstud8
06-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I just replaced my broke radiator today with a OEM one and didnt exactly read much before i did it. after I finished i read something about bleeding the system for air, and getting the air bubbles out? I'm not sure what that is about. I Re-filled it with coolant, and everything is back in. Just wondering what the bleeding the air out of the system was about and if it was important? Also, there was a brown fluid that came out of the bottom 2 smaller hoses..just wondering what that was and if i needed to replace it. Any help would be useful, thank you.

skyhigh90210
06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't know anything about air bubbles I just put the radiator in when I installed my new one and it runs fine. Didn't do anything relating to getting air out the system.
The two smaller hoses had transmission fluid in them, it normal but you might want to check the transmission fluid levels to make sure it isn't too low.

lonestar22
06-01-2007, 07:26 PM
when u fill the radiator in a 8g. it slef purges i think, because that would explain all the bubbles when i was filling mine back up

pinoyesv6
06-02-2007, 09:07 PM
the brown fluid im guessing is transmission fluid coming out of the cooler. and since the fluid is brown, i suggest you replace that too.

4-G-rim
06-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I just replaced my broke radiator today with a OEM one and didnt exactly read much before i did it. after I finished i read something about bleeding the system for air, and getting the air bubbles out? I'm not sure what that is about. I Re-filled it with coolant, and everything is back in. Just wondering what the bleeding the air out of the system was about and if it was important? Also, there was a brown fluid that came out of the bottom 2 smaller hoses..just wondering what that was and if i needed to replace it. Any help would be useful, thank you.

"Bleeding" the cooling system allows trapped air in the system to get out. Air in the system will cause overheating issues. I have always practiced the way of filling your system then when it fills to the top, start the car with the cap off. Let the car run for a few minutes and you notice the fluid levels going down which is normal because the system is still filling. Fill to the top and after several minutes look if any air bubbles come up top. Usually if there is air in the system the air bubble will appear withing the first minute or 2. Once you see no bubbles and the fluid is topped off, install the cap and you are good to go.

The 2 smaller hoses towards the bottom of the radiator are for the cooling lines for the A/T transmission. Reddish fluid should come out..but if the fluid is black in color, its time to flush your tranny fluid.