PDA

View Full Version : BAD,BAD TUNING - NEED HELP.....

DJ Galant
12-06-2002, 09:11 PM
I just got my car out of the dyno and i found out that my car is untuned. First of all, the results are 140 whp and max torque is 161 @ 6psi.
After that the guy who was driving it, and analyzed the graph said that I am lean out at WOT..... No matter what we did, we couldn't get the proper air/fuel mixture.......
The second run @ 9 psi thereore added 1 hp and max torque gained to 165.

3 psi more - and 1 hp gain ?
I have higgh impedia Denso 550cc injectors, warlbro 255 fuel pump, and FMU and - -------------------------- I am lean at WOT @ 6psi

It is unbelievable, and the numbers from the dyno are dissapointing me.

The good news is that it is fixable. It cost 150$ though to get it tuned to perfection. How many hours is it gonna take to get it tuned right? Who knows, well I hope someone of you knows.

The graph is not a like tangent - it is more like a sin curve.....

One pass was mad at 56% of throttle - and it was the same as it was on WOT.
That means that ECu is leaning out my mixture..or knock sensor advance the timing....anyway the can tune it.

I noted that (this is of Curt's website).

CAUTION: It is very important that you keep a POSITIVE STFT and LTFT. The 4G64 Spyder ECU is somewhat unique in this matter. If you have a NEGATIVE fuel trim (even STFT of -5%, with LTFT at ZERO), the ECU will lean out your Air/Fuel mixture badly at WOT (wide open throttle). I'm sure the Mitsubishi engineers did this for emissions reasons, but it caused all kinds of problems when I first started tuning my car. No matter what I did to the SAFC (even added +50% air), I could not get my engine to run the proper rich A/F ratio. Thus, I leaned out the car furthur, so that in closed loop operation it was adding fuel to compensate (i.e. POSITIVE STFT AND LTFT), and all my tuning problems were fixed. This is why you MUST have an OBDII datalogger. It's the only way to see the STFT and LTFT readings.

Now, I have 2 questions for u.
Do you think that ECU of Spuder is the same as mine 4g64 galant ECu???
(I am assuming that, so - I am going to ask you the next question).
Could u explain what POSITIVE STFT and LTFT are?
I don't know what that is, and how to set it to positive?
I would like to find out more about, how to tune it right.

I NEED HELP WITH TUNNIG MY SHIT....SO PLEASE HELP ME ANYONE!!!
THANKS

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

hyer717
12-07-2002, 09:56 PM
Wow man, you got some problems. Next time you go to a dyno shop, make sure they have a wideband O2 and that you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, it is the only way to tune computer controlled cars. The wideband will tell them if your car is leaning out and at what rpm's, then by adjusting the fuel pressure, they should be able to fix it. If not, you may have to get your ecm reprogrammed or get some kind of piggy back fuel computer, which costs $$$. You should definetly not be beating on your car if it is running lean, cause you WILL fuck it up. How long will it take to tune your car? Depends on how good you want it, my guess would be around 2 hours and it would be pretty close. Good luck, and get your car tuned now!

DJ Galant
12-09-2002, 02:05 AM
I got SAFC

g96nt
12-09-2002, 07:52 PM
yours is a 8th gen galant, huh?

unfortunately, I have no idea how the 8th generation ECU handles its fuel-trims.

how long have you been driving since The Turbo?

are you running with your mass air Flow sensor connected? TPS?
(probably better to ask what kind of wiring you did(change or omit anything?))

first thing you may Want To do, is watch your fuel-pressure gauge. make Sure the fuel-pressure is rising with manifold pressure (boost/vacuum)
be sure you have a Rising-rate (a)FPR

if it's not... you have To correct That.

if you haven't Done So, you're probably going to need a datalogger to watch ignition timing, and your short-term trims.

make Sure your s-afc is setup properly(where did you get instructions?)

the spyder(and I'm Assuming 8g) ECU is an extremely odd ECU, Where it does a *LOT* of on-the-spot refining and is somewhat difficult to tune.

I have a feeling That Curt may be a better source for Tuning than I.

DJ Galant
12-10-2002, 02:51 AM
getting my datalogger soon.....i think i have to lean out my car bad so i can get the positive fuel trim...when i am gonna get my datalogger i will know what's up...

g96nt
12-10-2002, 04:13 PM
to be honest.. you shouldn't be tuning your Car Without some sort Of ecu-reading program.

just trying to tune with the wide-band is not enough...

go easy on the car until you have it....no need to break a galant...*yet*

DJ Galant
12-13-2002, 03:39 AM
still looking aroung in las vegas for professional tuner. I know my shit should be around 200 + whp at the wheels after tuning (that's what the dyno guy assumed by looking at the curve).
Tommorow UPS will bring me my pocketlogger, that will give me a big look on what;s up with my agressor.
Personally, i believe that I have either:
a) ECU simular to Spyder's - therefore my fuel trims are negative so ECU leans out the mixture
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif transmission is retarding the timing for smooth shifs
c) exhaust leak or leak somewhere
d) defeniately issues with timing
e) possible some mechanical damage to the fuel pump, or some hoses
f)) all of the above
g) some of the above.

I will have it check by a pro as soon as I figure out on my own what's up....by using pocketlogger....

krazienluv10
05-27-2003, 02:14 AM
i was curious, would it be helpful to have my car tuned... or is it not worth it and just wait till i mod up my car even more??? and if i should what kind of places could do this at???

IllestGalant
05-28-2003, 11:29 PM
probably something simple like a clogged fuel filter.

JiP
05-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Consider swapping to a 2g turbo ecu. Its already built for 450cc, boost, knock control, etc.. You would keep ur afc since you got 550s to allow them to tune the car easier.... If its a timing problem im assuming you dont have any real knock control since your using the stock 4g64 ecu, it would be safer for the engine to get something like a J&s which would cost you the same price as an ecu swap.

Just my 2cents =D