View Full Version : how to remove axles from transmission

hotboy3709
06-09-2007, 09:08 PM
i have a 2000 es and my timing belt broke and bent my valves and hammered on the pistons so now im changin the engine but i cant figure out how to remove the axle or the rubber boot at the end of the axle any help would be apreciated

Sleepervr-4
06-09-2007, 09:54 PM
on the tire side you have to remove the cotter pin and the 32mm nut (do this while the car is still on the ground so it doesn't spin on you. Then jack up and remove the wheel. Remove the 2 lower strut bolts that connect to your knuckel and nut on the tie rod. The axle should slide out on the wheel side then. For the trans side get a pry bar and stick it on one of the 3 grooves and pry on it. It sould take alittle force but pop right out. All that is holding it is a small tensioned pin. Do not pull on the axle to remove it from the trans side because you might pull it off the boot and damage it and do not stick a philips and hammer it out cause you will damage the trans seal

underated
06-10-2007, 02:26 AM
if your not working on the transmission there is a way to leave it in place and still remove the engine?

you can remove the engine without taking out the trans... if you look under the car you'll see a dust cover between the engine and the transmission... remove that and you will see 1 or 2 of the bolts that hold the flex plate to the torque converter there are 4 of them... inorder to get to all of them you have to rotate the crank with a 1/2drive breaker bar.... after removing the passenger side mount and all the bolts that hold the engine to the trans it will come right out

hope that helps you out some

hotboy3709
06-10-2007, 04:15 PM
i apreciate all the help guys i got mine out and the new one in but i cant get the tranny to set flush against the engine i think it has something to do with the torque converter

underated
06-10-2007, 05:06 PM
wait how is the engine in without the transmission in also?

if you took both out its easier to mate them together outside of the car then put them in together...

do you have any pics of how things look right now? maybe i could help better...

hotboy3709
06-10-2007, 07:18 PM
i took the dust cover off like u said and unbolted the torque converter and left the tranny in the car i put in the new engine and rebolted the torque converter but the tranny will not set flush against the engine i talked to a mechanic who said to start the transmission bolts in then start tighening them down and it would pull them together so i tried it and it cracked my bell housing

underated
06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
oh shit thats crazy man.... when you were mating the two back together did you line up the dowels?

there should be some on the engine side that fit into the transmission... those go in to tranny side then you slide th bolts in and tighten eveything down...

what are you gonna do about the boken bell housing? is it possible to have the crack welded shut?

hotboy3709
06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
i got them in line but it is possible they slipped out i was gonna gonna look for a new bell housing i didnt think it was possible to weld it being the type of metal it is made of

underated
06-10-2007, 09:19 PM
i pretty sure it could be tig welded but im not 100%

do you have any pics of where it cracked?

hotboy3709
06-10-2007, 09:24 PM
ye i can get them on tomorrow i've already got my car covered and stored for the night

hotboy3709
06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
well the machine shop said they could weld it for 100 bucks do u no where i might find a used one?

seth98esT
06-11-2007, 07:08 PM
You can weld just about anything with the right welder and welder :P

A new bellhousing will be $300+. Best bet is finding a trashed used trans from someone here or a junkyard and just stealing the bell housing.

underated
06-11-2007, 11:11 PM
best bet is to try car-parts.com for a local junkyard

hotboy3709
06-18-2007, 10:12 PM
so i got the bell housing put on and got the torque converter all the way in but the transmission still wont set flush to the engine i dont no what else to do i took the engine back out twice to double check the torque converter but it is all the way in as far as it will go please help

underated
06-19-2007, 01:11 AM
hmmm...

are all the mounts connected to the transmission hooked up?
is the transmission tilted?

i need to see some pictures

hotboy3709
06-19-2007, 10:02 PM
so how do u post pictures

Proto
06-19-2007, 10:06 PM
so how do u post pictures

https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30103

hotboy3709
06-21-2007, 10:12 PM
the g is once again alive but the new engine has a knocking in the head some where its not really noticible till about 2500 rpm and u cant hear it at all at an idle does any one no what it could be