PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Projection

racesnos
06-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Okay, so i have two Alpine Type-R's in a box right now, but for some reason i feel that they dont project a good sound outside the car. yeah i know that some of you are thinking, "why project out of the car?" well i just want it to. i guess my question is, how can i accomplish this? is there a special enclosure that i need? is sealed or ported better? please help if possible. thanks!

01galant01
06-10-2007, 07:52 PM
i've heard from many ppl, ported is better...wat do u have?? wat amp and headunit r u running..... :?

mattalicslvr8g02
06-10-2007, 07:52 PM
well.. unless you are in a bandpass box and both sides of the box are ported into the car tyou are not going to get the sound you want... by both sides i mean the front side of the sub and the back side

dronesurfboards
06-10-2007, 08:06 PM
bandpass is the way to go if youre looking for bass that sets alarms off, that and some different subs. I was never a fan of alpine speakers...they need to just concentrate at what they are good at...head units and screens

mattalicslvr8g02
06-10-2007, 08:14 PM
bandpass is the way to go if youre looking for bass that sets alarms off, that and some different subs. I was never a fan of alpine speakers...they need to just concentrate at what they are good at...head units and screens

no .. type R's are very good affordable subs and no .. bandpass isnt the best.. it is only the best if it is done the way i stated.. my dad has had 13 different boxes in the car frrom bandpass-seales to ported in all different ways(square,round rectangularports) and the best is a ported box

Jeffylou87
06-10-2007, 09:13 PM
He's right... ported boxes are the best for trunks and getting bass out of the car... If you have a truck or a hatch the best would be a closed box...

kolio
06-10-2007, 09:48 PM
vented are actually better, no port noise. i had a ported box and hated it. i Had an old school rockford punch HX2 (1000watt rms)

my sealed box makes it hit hard. with ported and vented boxes it doesn't hit at all and the sound isn't clean.

since you just want others to hear your music, get vented

BIGMONEYDAY
06-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Yup, it looks like the majority of folks that have been into the "bass game" knows the answer to this age old subject. If you want tight, accurate bass, you use a sealed box. If you want loud, boomy, "hear you coming down the block, type bass you go with a vented or ported type box. These days more go with vented versus over ported cause ports can you alot of "wind noise".

Jeffylou87
06-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I HATE that wind noise!!!

kolio
06-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I HATE that wind noise!!!

thats why my ported box sits in my closet. that and the fact my rockford broke the plexiglass.

PORT NOISE SUCKS, ruines listening experience

dronesurfboards
06-10-2007, 10:59 PM
but he wants to be heard down the block...bandpass is the most efficient and cheapest way to acheive that. Ported is just as good but if you want your subs to be heard outside of the the car without changing subs or amps then bandpass is the way to go. I already have a feeling you already have the subs in a ported box. Sure port noise sucks but its easier and cheaper to change a box than changing subs and amps. If you really want to be heard, get 2 jl 13w7s and two 1000/1 amps, deaden and weld your trunk and call it a day. and type r's do suck...i dont see them winning any awards for best bang for your buck in magazines

mattalicslvr8g02
06-11-2007, 05:44 AM
and type r's do suck...i dont see them winning any awards for best bang for your buck in magazines

OKKKKK if you say so :roll: .. just ask a few NY members how my dads Type R's hit (just a hint my dad's setup broke off the framing on the trunk lid which was welded on)

WhiteGTZ01
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
i have slot ported and you can here me coming down the street and i set off car alarms

bmxmike
06-11-2007, 11:03 AM
I think box depends on the sub. I have a Pionner 10 and its only a 150 rms...In a vented box i dont get good bass out of it but in a sealed box that thing pounds harder than my friends 2 12's. I would never buy a band pass box but vented yes.

xglantv699
06-11-2007, 11:38 AM
i have four 10's in a sealed box. i use to have two 12's in a ported box, but i think the 10's sound clearer.

dronesurfboards
06-11-2007, 11:39 AM
true they make different subs for different boxes. they even make free air subs that dont need a box. im just saying you can make a sub hit hard by just slapping it in a bandpass box and a lil bit of wattage due to the design of a bandpass box...sound quality is shitty but from the original statement that our friend said "he wants to be heard from the outside". if youre running two subs, i dont see why youre not being heard from the outside...im thinking youre underpowering your subs. I run 1 12w6 and i can be heard outside. i think its a lil overkill and i might drop to a 10w6 or 10w3 but if you really want to be heard down the block, you might need to change your setup. if you really want to know what your system can handle...put in some old Dj Magic Mike and find out if your subs can handle some 20-30hz attacks.

ct96mitsug
06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
why dont u just mount the subs on the outside :wink:

RedGalant2k1
06-11-2007, 08:16 PM
The problem is that you are running Alpines.

mattalicslvr8g02
06-11-2007, 08:17 PM
WRONG!!!.. I NEED TGCNY TO CHIME IN ON THIS THREAD.. they have heard/seen /felt my dads system

RedGalant2k1
06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
WRONG!!!.. I NEED TGCNY TO CHIME IN ON THIS THREAD.. they have heard/seen /felt my dads system

Hahaha... I knew that would garner a response. Alpine is horrible its just overrated in my opinion.

Jeffylou87
06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
I like my type r's.. But I would rather have JL W7's...

dronesurfboards
06-11-2007, 08:45 PM
What exactly does your dad have in his car? My system is rated at 800 watts and i hit harder than some of the cats i see around town trying to bump. I can hear my car from the outside and im not running power draining amps. and its even louder with the doors and trunk open.
im personally running:

Eclipse CD8455 in pro mode which is a bitch to tune
Eclipse 8062 component speakers
Eclipse 6x9 point source speakers
1 JL Audio 12w6 old style
1 JL Audio 300/4
1 JL Audio 500/1

to me its simple, under 1000 watts and clear as hell...im even considering getting rid of the 500/1 and 12w6 and swap out for something less powerful like a 250/1 and 10w3. just to even out the bass with everything else.. bass is at -3 on my deck and my license plate still rattles even with a thick mat of dynamat extreme on it and on the trunk itself.

i dont doubt what youre telling me about your dads system being loud but how many speakers is he running, how many watts, amps, and money did he invest to achieve that. Alpine is a good company but in my opinion their older shiet was so much better than the crap they have now and im just talking about head units. they have no right building speakers. they fell off the wagon somewhere in the last 2-3 years. they are following sony's footsteps which i think is the worst company to buy car audio from.

6G72Galant
06-11-2007, 08:47 PM
RE Audio FTW!!!! Ive got my 2 12inch RE audio subs sitting here beside my computer desk just waiting to be installed!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Heres a dam ngood link for all of you non-believers!

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos.html

http://reaudio.com/images/spec_pics/re_th.jpg
I bought the "Entry-level" series. Depending on how well im satisified, i may just upgrade to the XXX's 8)

mattalicslvr8g02
06-11-2007, 08:56 PM
What exactly does your dad have in his car? My system is rated at 800 watts and i hit harder than some of the cats i see around town trying to bump. I can hear my car from the outside and im not running power draining amps. and its even louder with the doors and trunk open.
im personally running:

Eclipse CD8455 in pro mode which is a bitch to tune
Eclipse 8062 component speakers
Eclipse 6x9 point source speakers
1 JL Audio 12w6 old style
1 JL Audio 300/4
1 JL Audio 500/1

to me its simple, under 1000 watts and clear as hell...im even considering getting rid of the 500/1 and 12w6 and swap out for something less powerful like a 250/1 and 10w3. just to even out the bass with everything else.. bass is at -3 on my deck and my license plate still rattles even with a thick mat of dynamat extreme on it and on the trunk itself.

i dont doubt what youre telling me about your dads system being loud but how many speakers is he running, how many watts, amps, and money did he invest to achieve that. Alpine is a good company but in my opinion their older shiet was so much better than the crap they have now and im just talking about head units. they have no right building speakers. they fell off the wagon somewhere in the last 2-3 years. they are following sony's footsteps which i think is the worst company to buy car audio from.

my dad has an alipine CDA-9885 headuinit he in total has 15 speakers .. sets of alpine type X 6inch mids, and one sed of 5 1/4 inch components also type x (in the front door) he also has the center chanel speaker, he has 6inch type X components in the back doors, type R 6X9's powered by v-power125 watt amp.. and the doors are powered by a V12 600X4 watt amp.. and the 2 TYPE R's are powered by a rockford fosgate bd 1000

in total he spent a little over 2 grand

mindwerkz
06-11-2007, 09:25 PM
no pics?

Prophet
06-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Until you guys get tested on a termlab your number's don't mean anything lol...

lonestar22
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
RE Audio FTW!!!! Ive got my 2 12inch RE audio subs sitting here beside my computer desk just waiting to be installed!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Heres a dam ngood link for all of you non-believers!

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos.html

http://reaudio.com/images/spec_pics/re_th.jpg
I bought the "Entry-level" series. Depending on how well im satisified, i may just upgrade to the XXX's 8)

RE AUDIO ALL THE WAY!!!
no one knows about them though but they shit on the well known brands!!

way better than alpine, gayL audio, and etc...

btw bandpass boxes > vented or ported boxes.

ever notice that the 'DUAL' walmart sound systems have bandpass boxes

BIGMONEYDAY
06-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm with you on those RE subs. But like you stated, alot of folks don't really know about them. Playa759 can tell you about running one XXX right now, and has been for awhile. But becareful with getting their subs now. In the past, you could only order them direct from the company, but now I see that distributers are stocking them. That's a bad sign. Like I'm sure many of you have seen, once good audio products get picked up by distrubters and chain stores, the quality goes to crap. Look at what happened to Soundstream and Rockford once Circuit City picked them up.

RedGalant2k1
06-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm with you on those RE subs. But like you stated, alot of folks don't really know about them. Playa759 can tell you about running one XXX right now, and has been for awhile. But becareful with getting their subs now. In the past, you could only order them direct from the company, but now I see that distributers are stocking them. That's a bad sign. Like I'm sure many of you have seen, once good audio products get picked up by distrubters and chain stores, the quality goes to crap. Look at what happened to Soundstream and Rockford once Circuit City picked them up.

Its about affordability and profitability. They can't keep all the expensive electronics in a nationally availible product unless they want to price themselves out of the market.

Rockford, MTX, Soundstream, or any other who is mass marketed still makes good equipment. A lot of it is perspective and experience. You may not like MTX or Rockford for example, but I do.

In anycase its about the company and its profitability. It makes sense to get your product out to as many people as possible and make your profit as big as possible.

Btw, about the boxes? Thats all a matter of construction. Bandpass allows the lowest frequencies just by way of its design. Just buy (or build) a quality box of any style and you'll have nothing to worry about.

mattalicslvr8g02
06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
no pics?

syststem?..

BIGMONEYDAY
06-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I understand you point Red. These folks out there to turn the biggest product they can, even if it mean a reduction of the quality that got their name out in the market. Don't get me wrong, I still like some of these product lines, I just don't feel like their products are as good as used to be.

Proud Galant Driver
06-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Dude, what are you powering your sub with? I wouldn't be surprised if you are just under powering your sub. My friend used to run all Alpine in his Tahoe and it sounded clean and hit pretty hard but I wasn't particularly impressed. I believe he was also underpowering his sub so I think that sub has some potentially, although you would never see me buy one unless I got a hell of a deal on it.

Also, I'm not a fan of ports. I used to have a ported box with 2 12" MTX wayyyy back in the day but EVERY sub I have had since then has been in a sealed box and has performed exceptionally. Much sharper bass than I could ever get ported. I wouldn't go bandpass either.

Personally, I am more interested in tight, accurate, and responsive bass for my enjoyment than something that everyone can hear but is sloppy. If you set your system up correctly however, you should be able to have quality bass and it should be loud enough other people can hear/feel it.

6G72Galant
06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Why not just have a 2 box setup? Have one Subwoofer ported, and the other subwoofer sealed? :? That way you can get the best of both worlds.

Reelax
06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
i rattle store windows from the street.

2 MTX 8500 10"
slot vented box (sledgehammer)
MTX 1501D monoblock @ 2 ohms (1000w RMS)

thinking about upgrading the speakers to 2x12" 9500 (comparable to JLw7), or 1x15" 9500, in a sledgehammer enclosure. i miss having a trunk.

Jeffylou87
06-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Just upgraded my amp and my box to a ported one and it's 10 times louder... much clearer..

lonestar22
06-29-2007, 12:01 AM
sledgehammer FTW