PDA

View Full Version : heres something that a lot 7g deal with

ViciousLord
12-06-2002, 10:10 PM
on your galant did the dash peel away from the vents on the dash all the way in front of the winsheild peel up an shit, like it detaches from the plastic vent, how do i fix that?

seth98esT
12-06-2002, 11:38 PM
im not for sure how to fix it buy my passenger side airbag is kinda startin to come up a little in the corner and up by the passenger side windsheid defogger its startin to kinda peel up.

ViciousLord
12-06-2002, 11:55 PM
thats what i mean the defogger vent

cantbeatmy97
12-07-2002, 09:20 AM
yea mines been like that for awhile i tried to buy another and that didnt work so im thinkin it the whole dashboard thats screwed up. i used sum 3m double sided tape and trimed around that piece.g/l to u

ViciousLord
12-07-2002, 09:23 AM
explain that, u got pics?

dukeplaya3169
12-07-2002, 11:03 AM
I'm not positive as to what you guys are talking about...but if I'm right in my thinking then I would suggest to try heating up the peices that are peeling off, get some adhesive like superglue (so it's clear and not noticable if you screw up) and bend/glue the peeling peices back in place.

95G-Hustler
12-07-2002, 04:44 PM
i dunno bout urs, but my defogger vents have these things that hold it down

MidNightRacing
12-07-2002, 06:26 PM
Mine on both sides are coming up. I was just thinking about that the other day. Does anyone know if these vent are sold?

Dark Anghell
12-08-2002, 01:00 PM
WTF :evil: the same thing is on mine...and it's only right side. Maybe we should contact mitsubishi, and hopefully they will do a recall or something https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif . I'ts worth a try.

ViciousLord
12-08-2002, 02:21 PM
do it, i gotta start living up to my name (ViciousLord) i been to nice, il be more then happy to bitch at them.

oh and by the way fuk everybody on this board!!! :firedevil: j/k

MidNightRacing
12-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Hell yeah contact em bout replacing all of them if there so many people with the same problem they better do a recall and replace em for free!!

Kain
12-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Uhh, recall ain't never gonna happen. That happens to every vehicle in time. It's due to the material that the dash is made out of. It's like a foam stuff covered in the vinyl material that you see. The sun causes the foam to expand and the vinyl to shrink, or something like that. But, on the part of the dashboard that is most exposed to the sun it happens the worst. Also, the airbag on the passenger side is noticable because it's a small segment within a much larger segment.

Jesse
12-09-2002, 03:19 PM
My airbag cover is doing it to.

I'm sure we can get 40 people from here. I'm sure there's plenty more.

If we get 100 people, maybe they'll fix it.

Jesse
12-09-2002, 03:20 PM

Jesse
12-09-2002, 03:20 PM

TurboGalant
12-09-2002, 03:45 PM
I've seen double posts, but I think that was the first triple post I've seen.

I have a dash mat to protect my dash board. Maybe you can get one and cover up the damage, if all else fails.

Good luck.

ViciousLord
12-09-2002, 03:50 PM
ok where do i go to get one, link?

give me something

seth98esT
12-09-2002, 04:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TurboGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've seen double posts, but I think that was the first triple post I've seen. Â*

I have a dash mat to protect my dash board. Â*Maybe you can get one and cover up the damage, if all else fails.

Good luck.</div>

lol give him a break...hes on AOL :biggrin:

paulbunyan
12-10-2002, 05:33 PM
All,
I have seen these in several
different catalogs, unfortunately
I cant remember exactly which one
it was https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Go to www.jcwhitney.com
I think they have them or they can
order them at AutoZone www.autozone.com
or Advanced Auto Parts www.advancedautoparts.com
Try JC Whitney first. My 97 ES doesnt have
that problem (just knocked on wood)
but if it happened to my car I would
just get a cover for it.

paulbunyan

sleepagalant
12-10-2002, 07:39 PM
i have the same problem with my airbag and my defogger vent

schick
12-12-2002, 02:56 PM
same here, with both the dash and passenger airbag

2True
12-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Uhhh, same here I guess. WOW, this is quite the problemo... vents peeling up on the passenger side. I never even noticed it until this post, probably wouldn't have.... Thanks ViciousLord!

I am definately not a fan of dash mats, I will look into it this weekend. There has got to be a easy fix, I mean shit... it's just plastic.

ViciousLord
12-19-2002, 11:25 AM
your welcome 2true,lol, im not letting this topic disappear, so come on people post

cantbeatmy97
12-19-2002, 06:25 PM
its not the vents its the dashboard its self ive already replace the defoster part mines not too bad i just stuck sumthing on top of it to wedge it in so it will stay all summer long i did that it looked gay but now it doesnt pop up as much as it did.the only thing is to get a new dashboard if u want that check out oem-car-parts.com ('http://oem-car-parts.com')

ViciousLord
12-19-2002, 06:33 PM
there isnt shit there for the 7g galants

n3wMaxw3LL
12-19-2002, 07:17 PM
My vent is doing the same thing..on the right side....

packer13
12-20-2002, 12:27 AM
you can add my name to your list, airbag, pass/side!!!!

queball
12-21-2002, 02:22 AM
Yea mine is doing that to, up near the defroster vents and also right below the 2 center vents.. so much for using armoral.. I thought that crap was supose to stop cracking and things like that, but i think mitsubish needs to do a recall cars barley 4 years old and my dash looks like shit..

ViciousLord
01-05-2003, 09:39 AM
any solutions?......im getting pissed

signet
01-06-2003, 08:41 AM
mine is doing the same thing by the defroster vent.

ViciousLord
01-11-2003, 03:22 PM
im not letting this go

seth98esT
01-11-2003, 04:55 PM
me either! we need to do something or at least figure out a way to fix it...

ViciousLord
01-15-2003, 03:54 PM
??

ViciousLord
01-22-2003, 06:16 AM
once again im on top!!

JiP
01-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Yep passenger side defrost vent just woudlnt pop back down into place so uh I glued it down. No more problems.

bmxmike
11-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Allright so its been awhile but has anyone figured out how to fix this? When i bought mine i didnt notice it, but once i got my car home i noticed that the right side defroster vent was popping up and my passanger airbag was warpped too!

Airbag
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/HPIM0529.jpg

Dash
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/HPIM0535.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/HPIM0540.jpg

I could prob just like glue the dash down or somethin, but the airbag i dont know what to do other than replace it.

Joaltava
11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I have the same problem on both of my 7g's

kolio
11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
I did have this problem but i fixed it 2 months ago!!!! what u do is pop of the plastic vent covers. use something small to move debree from under the dash. ( cleans the little foamy stuff out ) just a little. only the loose and crumbled things come out by using tape, the debree sticks to it. get like 2 tubes of super glue, crazy glue, or any other adhesive of the sort. stick the nose of the tube where the dash has seperated and put glue all in there. then push the dash down and hold it for about 2 min. let it go and it will hold. the red arrows show you where to clean and apply the glue. i had to do 8 inch sections at a time, but it works. i will post pics tomorrow of how mine looks.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/kolio2002/HPIM05401.jpg

I could prob just like glue the dash down or somethin, but the airbag i dont know what to do other than replace it.

the car probably was in a little accident for the airbag to be beaten up like that, not sure but guessing.

mitsueclipse2019
11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
mines doing the samething aswell

bmxmike
11-07-2006, 09:47 PM
ok thanks for the tip. Ya on my airbag i think im just goin to go to a junk yard and get another one. Cause its messed up pretty bad and i dont know how it happend on the bottom part of the airbag to leave such a big gab between the glovebox. O well you get what u paid for considering i paid 250 cash for this cause just needed something till i got my other car working but im goin to keep it and build it up.

laxinwarrior
11-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Yeah, my airbag's popping up too but I never noticed the dofroster vent ... I'm gonna go out and check on that right now

peanotation
11-08-2006, 12:56 PM
the top of the airbag is coming out on my car. i can push it back in but it slowly slides back out within a few minutes.....very annoying looking.

mitsueclipse2019
11-08-2006, 01:28 PM
the top of the airbag is coming out on my car. i can push it back in but it slowly slides back out within a few minutes.....very annoying looking.

i may have to get another passenger airbag for mine as i think the reason why mines messed up is cause my uncle wrecked the car before i got it, but then again im not realy sure, and yes that crap is very annoying

bmxmike
11-08-2006, 06:30 PM
ya i replaced my airbag and it looks fine now. But im tryin to make a airbag delete for the passanger side. As for my vents i still have to work on them. Not to worried cause its still on jack stands from replacing the transaxle that took 3 weeks!! :evil:

laxinwarrior
11-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Damn, looked at my car on the way to work today and of course BOTH of my defroster vents have the vinyl peeling away ... and I thought it was annoying when I only noticed the airbag. :???:

bmxmike
11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
ya i didnt notice till i looked at this i noticed it and now that i said somethin not the right side is coming up! i think im just goin to pull out the vents and pull the vinal up around it and just lay down some glue all around them and put the vents back in.

dudj
11-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm not positive as to what you guys are talking about...but if I'm right in my thinking then I would suggest to try heating up the peices that are peeling off, get some adhesive like superglue (so it's clear and not noticable if you screw up) and bend/glue the peeling peices back in place.

oh yeah superglue your air bag... tsk tsk tsk

yeah same here and also the front windshield vents... freaking mitsu using cheap materials

bmxmike
11-15-2006, 11:51 PM
so ya i was trying to work on my dash today around my vents and when i tried to glue them down they just pull apart. Also its very hard to get them to press aginst the plastic. Should i get a hair dryer or heat gun and just warn the vinvl and try to glue it agian?

Godspell
11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Our dash started doing this a few years ago. If you dont get a dashmat it will end up warping so much it cracks so watch out.

lbm
12-15-2006, 09:26 AM
I've have exactly the same problem as this, and im desperate to find a way to fix it :(

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/HPIM0540.jpg

bmxmike
12-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Like everyone else said get some super clue or something to that will adhere to it and the plastic. I suggest getting like a heat gun or blowdryer. Cause when i did mine i had trouble with getting it to sit back down it its origanl position, but when i hit it with a blow dryer it became a lil more flexible.

dasd
04-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Yo Vicious!

I can't believe there isn't something out there to replace the parts without using a dash mat (aka - 'Fuzzy dust and food particle collector') or replacing the dash entirely. On my G, the plastic defroster vent strips have curled up and the passenger airbag cover is bulging out - as if it tried to partially deploy. I went to Mits and they wanted to replace versus repair :x Btw, that airbag has never deployed once.

I'm thinking possibly the lancer clubs could be of help? You know how the car companies try to reuse similar parts in their vehicles to cut costs; maybe a vent cover is available for another model and it fits the Galant?? I know it's a shot in the dark, but it's worth a try.

On another note - everyone check out my new post on door panels and paint. I have a related issue and could use your input.

And Vicious, this is for you... "drop dead!" :lol: I thought you'd appreciate an 'evil' remark.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

bmxmike
04-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Well i never actually fixed mine but im going to take it out and just strip it down and wrap it with vinal and not worry bout it. As for my air bag on the passanger side i found out that theres not even a air bag in there cause the guy who repaired it failed to place a new air bag in.

dasd
04-09-2007, 05:12 PM
You actually took the airbag cover off and re-wrapped it? :? interesting... I'm thinking about using the blow dryer before glue.. I wonder what the long term effects would be on the dash where the glue was applied.

Anyone else reading this; if you have any experience on this subject speak up! That's what this site is for. :wink:

bmxmike
04-16-2007, 07:10 PM
No i dont have a air bag at all on the passanger side and the cover is kinda glued on look.http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/101_0040.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/101_0041.jpg
So im just goin to wrap it all and do somethin with this extra space once i remove the peices in there[/img]

dasd
04-17-2007, 03:52 PM
What a mess - Mine is in pretty good shape compared to that ( I guess.. :roll: ) The top part of my AB cover bulges out, but the rest of it is flush with the dash. I would like to get it completely flat and even considered banging it with a rubber mallet, but doing that on top of a live airbag would not be too smart :lol:

Anyone else have any suggestions?

bmxmike
04-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey question how much of a gap is there between the dash and the door panels? cause i was looking at that a few mins. ago and mine is pretty big its probably about 3 inches or more

frag_daddy_2007
04-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey question how much of a gap is there between the dash and the door panels? cause i was looking at that a few mins. ago and mine is pretty big its probably about 3 inches or more
that is pretty big, mine almost touches when the door is closed

laxinwarrior
04-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Dude your car is messed up. :shock:

bmxmike
04-19-2007, 06:13 PM
lol i know...its prob. not 3 inches but there is a noticible gap...The car is fine outside its just the inside i keep on finding things wrong with i.e. Sunroof, glove box, air bag, dash, door panels! plan on replacing the entire interior.

dasd
04-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Door panels... That's another problem. I even posted a question about that and no one would discuss the problem. Replacing is an option, but where do you go for panels that fit? These days it's hard to find a place that does car interiors as well; anyone have a good solution for BMX?? :?

bmxmike
04-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Well im prob goin to make my own door panels....i plan on using the exsisting one but im goin to get it to fit better than it does...ill show you what i mean in a few mins. i need to charge my camera

dasd
04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
So you don't have the prob with surface bubbling or delamination (as the dealer call it..)? I'll be interested to see what you're doing, especially if it saves $$$ :wink:

bmxmike
04-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Well what im doing is getting some vinal and ripping apart my dash and then re-wraping it with that. Im getting it for free so, Its a black vinal with a padded back and im getting some 3m adhesive to hold it down and stapiling it down so it wont happen agian

bmxmike
04-27-2007, 03:55 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/101_0048.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/101_0051-1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/xbox360ghost/101_0056.jpg

I dont know if you look in the thrid photo it kinda looks like its just not level and that its off to the to far over on a side.

dasd
04-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah,

I see what you mean, but isn't that door going to look strange with all black vinyl when the rest of the interior is cream colored? It's cool you're getting the stuff for free, but then you'll have to do all the doors to match.

That's a job :wink:

bmxmike
04-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Ya im redoing the whole!! interior i already got some black carpet im triming to fit....i plan on painting my car either blue or black once i get my body kit on just getting the interior done

dasd
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Sounds pretty cool! I hope the windows are tinted - otherwise we're looking at black interior + hot summer= hot & ouch! :smt013

I'm glad you were able to get the vinyl for free, that's great. Now if I could only find a source for what I need :? Grrrrrr :x

bmxmike
05-01-2007, 06:49 PM
ya im going with 5% tint! There is no enforced tint law in oklahoma!!! ya im paint the car blue prob...so goin to work blue into the interior and black was the only other thing i couldnt think of that would work well with blue.....