PDA

View Full Version : Drops

Tennisace101
12-07-2002, 03:27 PM
How much to drop my galant a few inches? Big job? I just bought my 01 ES. The only dissapointing thing is I have 15" ugly looking hubcaps, So i gotta get rims pretty soon.

Il'll prolly buy some cheaper better looking 15"s soon....but how much to drop?

Auto-9
12-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Well some people do manage to do it themselves, and that saves about 180 bucks on average in labor. The springs cost between 120 and 300 dollars, or you can go coilovers for 400.

mrjaydeeone
12-07-2002, 03:45 PM
I got progress springs on www.optauto.com
for about $150...
it costed me 200 to have em installed....just to give you an idea
I have seem members post that it costed them only 100 to have all 4 installed....so labor prices def vary..

Supernova
12-07-2002, 10:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrJaYdEeOnE)</div><div class='quotemain'>I got progress springs on www.optauto.com
for about $150...
I have seem members post that it costed them only 100 to have all 4 installed....so labor prices def vary..</div>

Is that 200 for the install or for the whole sha-bang?

jomin1016
12-07-2002, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't really pay someone to do it if u have the tools.....now that I've done it myself. Of course before I did it, I thought of it as being a big job - no way I would attempt something like that myself, but basically, if u can change yer oil or spark plugs, I would say u could realistically handle lowering your car yourself.
There's a tutorial on here somewhere - just do a search, and don't forget, if u run into probs, we're all here for u :wink: . I personally have gotten TONS of help from this club and can't thank u guys enough.

mrjaydeeone
12-08-2002, 01:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supernova)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrJaYdEeOnE)</div><div class='quotemain'>I got progress springs on www.optauto.com
for about $150...
I have seem members post that it costed them only 100 to have all 4 installed....so labor prices def vary..</div>

Is that 200 for the install or for the whole sha-bang?</div>

sorry lemme clarify myself
150 for the springs
and 200 to have em installed

hsinya
12-08-2002, 02:10 AM
i'm waiting for the tein ss coilovers! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

but they're gonna be like around 1200$$$$...... :x :x

kidrocking79
12-09-2002, 01:58 AM
Which is cheaper and easier. Springs.. or coil covers?

pinoyesv6
12-09-2002, 01:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kidrocking79)</div><div class='quotemain'>Which is cheaper and easier. Â*Springs.. or coil covers?</div>

springs are cheaper and easier if you buy it from a place of retail. ebay makes everything cheap so if u can find a deal there...

BlaqueOut
12-09-2002, 06:35 PM
whats the diff between springs in coilovers?

HeadAche
12-09-2002, 06:52 PM
I paid $230 for my Intrax springs.. 1.8ft and 1.8rr.. my boyz did the install all they asked for was some food and beer..lol.. Springs only go so low, depending on how low u want them to come. Coilovers can go anywhere from 0"-4"in, but they bounce like hell..

BGR
12-09-2002, 07:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlaqueOut)</div><div class='quotemain'>whats the diff between springs in coilovers?</div>

Between springs and coilovers? What's the difference?

The springs are set at a pre-determined length, like a drop of 1.8" or 1.6". This is how much lower your car will sit once you have them installed.

Coilovers are adjustable and can be set up to a 4" drop. Just make sure your wheels and tires do not stick out from the fender well.

kidrocking79
12-09-2002, 09:35 PM
I've got a 2003 ES w/ 16" hubs.. I'm putting on the 17" rims that came w/ the 2002 Eclipse and 215/45/17 tires. I remember reading somewhere in this forum that if I go w/ the 17" rims that my car will look like a Jeep. I wanna drop it, but don't have the funds to get it done. I'm pretty damn handy and have usually done stuff myself. How much do u recommend I drop the car, and should I go w/ springs or coilcovers. Mind you .. i'm thinking about doing the work myself..

pinoyesv6
12-09-2002, 09:51 PM
if you got most of the tools needed, i would do it myself. u can rent a spring compressor at your local auto parts store. just make sure u understand all the steps and procedures before you start. but yea, u still gonna need that 4 wheel alignment. thats something thats mandatory.

also keep in mind, that the lower u drop ur car, the more the chances that you will find new challenges like blown shocks camber kit scraping rubbingetc etc

kidrocking79
12-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Would anyone have a tutorial on how to change springs?? Or redirect me to a page?? That would be cool. Never done it before.. but like Pinoy says.. as long as I understand all the steps and procedures before I start.. I should be fine.

pinoyesv6
12-09-2002, 10:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kidrocking79)</div><div class='quotemain'>Would anyone have a tutorial on how to change springs?? Or redirect me to a page?? That would be cool. Â*Never done it before.. but like Pinoy says.. as long as I understand all the steps and procedures before I start.. I should be fine.</div>

i guess i can find one...

http://home.earthlink.net/~rrwarren/eclips...ch_springs.html ('http://home.earthlink.net/~rrwarren/eclipse-mods-eibach_springs.html')

pretty much the same except the rear strut towers on on the sides of the rear seats...

kidrocking79
12-09-2002, 11:13 PM
Thanks.. I'll give it some thought. I'll price some springs and see what I can get. Then I'll consider buying and installing.. I usually get all excited when I'm about to do something to my car.. I recently replaced all the speakers in my car and Put in a new Sony Xplode radio.. Sounds MUCH better than it did stock.. I didn't get the sun and sound package, but I'm upgrading it MY WAY. I don't like the infinity radio they put on the galants w/ sun n sound package. My spoiler's comming in a few days.. painted.. so I can't wait to put that on... my baby's gonna look HOTTTT Once again Thanx Pinoy

kidrocking79
12-09-2002, 11:18 PM
Hey.. pinoy.. just curious as to whether or not you ever did the Throttle Body Adjustment. I saw it listed as a mod in the how to tutorials.