PDA

View Full Version : lugs STUCK...... HELP!!

hsinya
12-09-2002, 08:14 PM
ok, my friend wanted to paint calipers so i decided to do all our cars all at once.

I CANNOT GET THE FSCKIGN LUGS OFF MY WHEELS!!!

out of the 3 of us none of us can get the lug to budge.... we tried everything we can think of....wd40, everything...
we put soo much strength into it... so much that it even lifted the car a little

i only take it to the dealer for maintenance, so i'm thinking they fucked up bigtime... i hope they didnt strip the threads, and if they did they better replace it on warranty or something, cuz they're the ones that screwed it up (no pun intended lol)

tomorrow morning i'm gonna go call them and take it in and make them retorque it to the right setting.....

or is there something else wrong w/ my car?

help me please!!!

oh btw... the correct pounds of torque is 80pounds for the 8g right? i have a v6

:edit:
oops i accidentally posted this on wrong forum... suppose to be on problem w/ 8g forum.... sorry !!!!

pinoyesv6
12-09-2002, 08:25 PM
what kinda lug wrench are u using? i hope ur not using a torque wrench. that can ruin the wrench. i hope u aren't using the stock lug wrench either, that won't help u at all. if you can't find a bigger lug wrench (i like my t-bar) try slipping a pipe over the handle of the lug wrench for more mechanical advantage. but yea be careful you don't want to break a lug or something. if you can try to get a hold of an air gun. walmart has some for like 20 dollars that is pretty strong and uses ur car's dc power. uhm a small shop should have an air gun blah blah blah...just amek sure its torqued right and u ahve something good to remove the lugs with

hsinya
12-09-2002, 08:35 PM
yeah i used my stock lug wrench... i dont have anything else and i sure as hell wouldn't be using the torque wrench to remove the lugs :roll: that thing is soo expensive i dont plan on buying another one any time soon

but the weird thing is we removed the lugs and wheels off a camry and a rsx, and we used the stock wrench, which is pretty much exactly the same as the stock wrench on the galant, and the lugs came off pretty easily, the rsx is torqued at 80pounds and camry is at 77pounds and it was a piece of cake to get those lugs off....

pinoyesv6
12-09-2002, 08:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hsinya)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah i used my stock lug wrench... i dont have anything else and i sure as hell wouldn't be using the torque wrench to remove the lugs :roll: that thing is soo expensive i dont plan on buying another one any time soon

but the weird thing is we removed the lugs and wheels off a camry and a rsx, and we used the stock wrench, which is pretty much exactly the same as the stock wrench on the galant, and the lugs came off pretty easily, the rsx is torqued at 80pounds and camry is at 77pounds and it was a piece of cake to get those lugs off....</div>

just remember that its not only the torque from the lug that is holding the lugs on. you also got dirt maybe some oxidation that could be holding the lugs on too

BGR
12-09-2002, 09:03 PM
My recommendation is to get a good breaker bar like this:

http://www.cumminstools.com/prodimg/5106.jpg

I picked one up at Sears. And then get a good socket, too.

If you still have problems, use a rubber mallet to 'gently' tap the end of the breaker bar down.

HeadAche
12-09-2002, 10:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>what kinda lug wrench are u using? i hope ur not using a torque wrench. that can ruin the wrench. i hope u aren't using the stock lug wrench either, that won't help u at all. if you can't find a bigger lug wrench (i like my t-bar) try slipping a pipe over the handle of the lug wrench for more mechanical advantage. but yea be careful you don't want to break a lug or something. if you can try to get a hold of an air gun. walmart has some for like 20 dollars that is pretty strong and uses ur car's dc power. uhm a small shop should have an air gun blah blah blah...just amek sure its torqued right and u ahve something good to remove the lugs with</div>

HOld up Wal-mart sells air guns for $20, sum bitch.. imma go get one right now...lol

pinoyesv6
12-09-2002, 10:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>what kinda lug wrench are u using? i hope ur not using a torque wrench. that can ruin the wrench. i hope u aren't using the stock lug wrench either, that won't help u at all. if you can't find a bigger lug wrench (i like my t-bar) try slipping a pipe over the handle of the lug wrench for more mechanical advantage. but yea be careful you don't want to break a lug or something. if you can try to get a hold of an air gun. walmart has some for like 20 dollars that is pretty strong and uses ur car's dc power. uhm a small shop should have an air gun blah blah blah...just amek sure its torqued right and u ahve something good to remove the lugs with</div>

HOld up Wal-mart sells air guns for $20, sum bitch.. imma go get one right now...lol</div>

i guess...thats where my friend vik got his. comes with a case too. it plugs into the cigarette lighter. perfect for the track or if u have a flat...

99DE
12-10-2002, 12:20 AM
Remember righty tighty lefty loosy https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif Also, try standing on the bar, it usually works for me to get hard lugs off.

TJC
12-10-2002, 01:01 AM
Invest in a big arse torque wrench. (1) it's so much longer so it will give you lots of torque, (2) you now have a torque wrench to see what other bastard mechanics torqued it down to and you can torque them down to the RIGHT torque yourself. Get yourself some PB Blaster or other deep penetrating lubricant and make sure you soak it plenty before attempting to remove it. Lastly, you can take it back to the last place that did your wheels and make them loosen it up for you since it was their fault for over torquing them in the first place.

BGR
12-10-2002, 01:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>what kinda lug wrench are u using? i hope ur not using a torque wrench. that can ruin the wrench. i hope u aren't using the stock lug wrench either, that won't help u at all. if you can't find a bigger lug wrench (i like my t-bar) try slipping a pipe over the handle of the lug wrench for more mechanical advantage. but yea be careful you don't want to break a lug or something. if you can try to get a hold of an air gun. walmart has some for like 20 dollars that is pretty strong and uses ur car's dc power. uhm a small shop should have an air gun blah blah blah...just amek sure its torqued right and u ahve something good to remove the lugs with</div>

Have you ever USED one of these DC powered 'air guns'? They suck. I have one. Wasted $24.95 on it from Target.

hsinya
12-10-2002, 02:49 AM
lol 99de one of my friends was trying to see which way loosens the lug and i told him the exact same thing, and yeah i usually stand on the wrench to get the lugs turning.... but this time.... no luck... nothing

i'm gonna try to get some of that lubricant tjc said... and if all else fails, time to go bitch at the dealer and make them fix what they did to my car :evil:

pinoyesv6
12-10-2002, 07:37 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>what kinda lug wrench are u using? i hope ur not using a torque wrench. that can ruin the wrench. i hope u aren't using the stock lug wrench either, that won't help u at all. if you can't find a bigger lug wrench (i like my t-bar) try slipping a pipe over the handle of the lug wrench for more mechanical advantage. but yea be careful you don't want to break a lug or something. if you can try to get a hold of an air gun. walmart has some for like 20 dollars that is pretty strong and uses ur car's dc power. uhm a small shop should have an air gun blah blah blah...just amek sure its torqued right and u ahve something good to remove the lugs with</div>

Have you ever USED one of these DC powered 'air guns'? They suck. I have one. Wasted $24.95 on it from Target.</div>

hmm thats weird. i dunno my friend got mad at me cuz i was playing with his, running around the garage playing with the air gun tightening the bolts on his project, breaking bolts, stripping threads etc etc...maybe some just suck. i dunno. buy hey, walmart has taht 30 day return policy. you can just buy it to loosen up those lugs and then just return it lol

Danger DANJ
12-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Good luck getting those suckers off. I've had trouble getting them off with a real air gun before. I actually ended up getting it off with a breaker bar like Rich posted and jumping on it. I was using a junky socket though and broke the socket. The nut and lug was fine though.

BlueESV6
12-10-2002, 03:07 PM
I'd use the breaker bar and a "cheater" bar slipped over it. If you have a large pipe that can slip over the breaker bar handle and extend the bars overall length you won't need to jump on it... I have used my bar from my car jack... worked great!

Who put your lugs on because it's way overtightened!! Good Luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

BGR
12-10-2002, 04:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm thats weird. i dunno my friend got mad at me cuz i was playing with his, running around the garage playing with the air gun tightening the bolts on his project, breaking bolts, stripping threads etc etc...maybe some just suck. i dunno. buy hey, walmart has taht 30 day return policy. you can just buy it to loosen up those lugs and then just return it lol</div>

When I first bought it, it sat in my garage, unopened, for almost a year. When I needed to use it, the damn thing didn't work. It made a bunch of noise, like it was spooling up or something, because the socket didn't rotate until after something inside 'engaged' then it would rotate. I waited a little longer, after Christmas, and took it back and said it was a gift. I didn't have the receipt anymore. I ended up getting another one and because of some technicality, like it cheaper now then when I first bought it, I got a few bucks back, too.

Bottom line, the new one sucked too. Same problem and it definately didn't loosen the nut. When I did use this thing, I used it to unscrew the nut after I had already used the breaker bar to loosen the nut first. Works pretty good for that, so I don't have to swing the breaker bar over, flip it and do it again over and over until the nut comes off.

pinoyesv6
12-10-2002, 04:23 PM
went to pep boys today to buy an exhasut tip (long story) but they had breaker bars. 9.99 for the 18 inch one and 14.99 for the 24

hsinya
12-10-2002, 08:26 PM
ok i finally got the lugs off! yay !! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

ok i got a friend to come over to help, he brought his GIANT torque wrench with him, omg my torque wrench is seems so puny compared to his lol, his goes all the way up to like 300+ pounds of torque.... can sockets even handle that much pressure???? oh and i went to pepboys and bought a 24" breaker bar in the morning, the one pinoy saw lol

anyways, we were adjusting the torque settings and trying it on the lugs, the 1st couple lugs broke free after around 110pounds of torque, give or take a few pounds. god damn thats WAAAAY overtightened!!!! :shock: when i was taking it off w/ the breaker bar, the lugs squeaked a little when it was coming loose..... i dunno if thats a bad thing or what.... well at least nothing was broken thank god!

and my rotors are warped too, shit.... now i know why, god damn dealer mechanics dont know wtf what they are doing, overtightened lugs = warped rotors.... now my next project is to get the brembos :wink:

thanks for all the responses and suggestions guys !! i really appreciate it!

Auto-9
12-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Holy crap 110 hehehehe...yeah I don't trust my dealer with anything really anymore. My wheel alignments were off, they didn't rotate my tires, and my pressure was 19 psi in the back and 23 in the front, and they never check my fluid levels like they say they do.

BGR
12-10-2002, 08:39 PM
FYI -

I just wanted to pass this on - The torque specifications should be 80 ft lbs when tightening.

TJC
12-11-2002, 01:12 AM
wow, thats just nuts and irresponsible of them to set the torque so high. Well, bottomline is you finally got it off. FYI, manual actually says 70 lbs I believe but I go to 75 lbs. And btw, a good big torque wrench is already 2 feet long and goes up to over 150 lbs. of torque. So don't waste money on a breaker bar and just spend a little more for the big torque wrench that will have more usage. For indestructable tools with free replacement, go with CRAFTSMAN from Sears. You just bring the broken or stripped sockets w/o the receipt and get a free replacement; no questions asked.

pinoyesv6
12-11-2002, 08:53 AM
personally, i wouldn't use a big torque wrench to loosen up bolts. i'd use a breaker bar. u can actually discallibrate a torque wrench by using it to loosen up bolts...and that just ruins its purpose...

HeadAche
12-11-2002, 11:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>personally, i wouldn't use a big torque wrench to loosen up bolts. i'd use a breaker bar. u can actually discallibrate a torque wrench by using it to loosen up bolts...and that just ruins its purpose...</div>

Yeah i would do the exact same thing, because i have the 18in and 24in in my garage.. Just incase..lol.. I had a torque wrench but it was bigger jobs, becasue it came in handy..