PDA

View Full Version : Max rims?

Echo
12-10-2002, 12:00 AM
The search feature confuses little ol' me so here's my question:

I've heard lots of folks talking about how 20"s need lots of special work to work in our rides. What's the biggest you can go without doing alterations?

Though an increased rim size will improve the profile, I'd need to actually drop the Galant to lessen the top gap, right?

So question #2 is:

Do most of you guys prefer springs or coilovers? Springs are cheaper but coilers are bouncy? :?

Thanks.

TJC
12-10-2002, 12:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Echo)</div><div class='quotemain'>The search feature confuses little ol' me so here's my question:

I've heard lots of folks talking about how 20"s need lots of special work to work in our rides. Â*What's the biggest you can go without doing alterations?

Though an increased rim size will improve the profile, I'd need to actually drop the Galant to lessen the top gap, right?

So question #2 is:

Do most of you guys prefer springs or coilovers? Â*Springs are cheaper but coilers are bouncy? Â*:? Â*

Thanks.</div>

Hello Echo,

Both of our questions are rather open ended in that there are lots of variables and posible setups. Some will work and some will not.

To answer your question about 20" wheels, theoretically you can go up in wheel size and down in profile and the circumference of the tire will not change from stock. The problem is that most tire manufacturers will only make tires for wheels that are available in the market. And there just isn't narrow 20" wheels and 20" tires narrow enough to fit under the wheel well, not rub anywhere, and let you drop your car closer to the ground to look good.

As for springs and coilovers, any setup not made for the weight of the vehicle, drops too low (to take it way out of factory tolerances the suspension is capable of handling), or isn't matched perfectly for your shocks/struts (like using old stock shocks/struts with springs/coilovers that they were not made for) will yield unpleasant ride qualities. Also keep in mind that the opinion of ride quality varies from person to person. If you stick with tried and true name brand springs or coilovers and match the setup correctly with the right shocks/struts, you can have a nice ride along with good looks.