View Full Version : Couple of problems...

6G72Galant
07-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok. So for the past couple of months my heater hasnt worked at all. It used to make a rattling vibration sound whenever i switched from Cold air to Hot air. And one day it stopped. And the HOt air also stopped. My car only has Cold air now, regardless of where i turn the dial. I checked the cable yesterday. The cable is attached to a white hammer looking thing. And whenever i turn the dial, i see the hammer thing move. So what else could it be???

Another issue is my defroster. Whenever i turn on the defroster and im at idle, the rpms drop from about 900 to 400 or lower. This morning the car stalled when i turned on the defroster as i sat in a parking lot. Whats going on here?

Any help or info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

RedGalant2k1
07-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Its either the heater core or a blend air door issue. The heater is exactly that a heater. It basically takes heat of the coolant system and blows in into the cabin. Now the heater core may still be functioning, but the blend air doors could be stuck closed for some reason. There may be some sort of obstruction, or something could be broken.

If the blend air door is broken it won't allow anything but cold air (if any air at all) into the vehicle's cabin. Does the vehicle consume extra coolant?

cdipier2
07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
on my car i have manually turn that little white knob by hand since the white selector piece isnt moving it. more then likely if it is that you will have to take apart the lower dash to fix it. it hasnt bugged me enough yet to do that

6G72Galant
07-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Its either the heater core or a blend air door issue. The heater is exactly that a heater. It basically takes heat of the coolant system and blows in into the cabin. Now the heater core may still be functioning, but the blend air doors could be stuck closed for some reason. There may be some sort of obstruction, or something could be broken.

If the blend air door is broken it won't allow anything but cold air (if any air at all) into the vehicle's cabin. Does the vehicle consume extra coolant?

Ima have to check that today. Im overdue for a flush of my coolant system anyways. Ill try to tackle that today at work. Thanks Red.

6G72Galant
07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Just checked my coolant at work and the resevoir is completely empty! :x Its my fault that i havent bothered to check it, but i had my oil changed last month and they mentioned nothing about my coolant being low. Ima flush it and fill it tomorrow or wednesday and see if that solves the problem. :?

6G72Galant
07-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Refilled my coolant yesterday, and my heat still isnt working. Any ideas?

RedGalant2k1
07-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Does the car use coolant excessively? Do you notice any leaks, or have you tried to pinpoint the blend air door issue?

6G72Galant
07-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Does the car use coolant excessively? Do you notice any leaks, or have you tried to pinpoint the blend air door issue?

There has always been a slight leak where the coolant hose running from the radiator to the engine meets. Nothing substancial, but its still a leak. How can i check the Blend Air door?

SkylineG1
07-29-2007, 10:48 AM
6G72 Are you coming to the meet in August? If so I'll check it out for you.

6G72Galant
07-29-2007, 09:49 PM
6G72 Are you coming to the meet in August? If so I'll check it out for you.

Im pretty sure ill be going. Im looking forward to the drive 8)

6G72Galant
09-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Finally figured out why my car has no heat. That rattling sound was the motor that controls the valve leading to the heater core. The motor when switched to Cold, closes the valve. In doing so it prevents any warm coolant from flowing into the heater core to produce heat. When the motor is switched to Hot, it opens. Allowing warm coolant to enter the heater core and produce heat. For some reason, my motor is shot. After flushing my coolant system. I checked the two hoses running from the engine, to the heater core. Upon checking the hose exiting the core, it was cool to the touch. If the valve was open, it wouldve been hot. So after removing the lower dash...i saw the motor. I took a screwdriver and began to tap on it. After a couple of taps, TA-DAA! The motor worked! However, when i switched back to Cold air, the motor stopped working again. So i switched it back to Hot, tapped the motor again...and now its stuck on Hot air. I guess ill have to replace that motor next spring. At least i have heat for now 8)

*BTW i tried to flush the heater core while the valve was open. And it had no effect on the motor itself. Therefore, it wasnt clogged. So ill be re-experiencing this PITA next spring :roll: