PDA

View Full Version : for those that lowered your g-ride...

hsinya
12-11-2002, 01:12 AM
has anyone of you tried to jack up your car?

my suspension is completely stock and most of the regular jacks will barely fit under my car (regular NOT as in the crappy emergency jack thats in your trunk, but the real ones you buy at an auto store)

with the jack all the way down, i'll have about 1 - 2 inches of clearance depending on which brand i use. (i'm too lazy to buy one, so i just borrow other peoples for a day or 2)

i'm definately gonna lower my car. i dunno when, but i'm planning to get the tein ss coils when they come out, i guess i'm ok cuz u can change the ride height, but i dont see myself adjusting the coils every time i want to jack up my car, then lowering it again after i'm done....

what do you guys do?

Ed
12-11-2002, 06:53 AM
my jack fits under my car....sorry don't have that problem

Auto-9
12-11-2002, 07:04 AM
Mine still fits fine...

burthold
12-11-2002, 07:34 AM
I drive my car up on some 2x6 boards to get the jack under it. No big deal.

Wes

pinoyesv6
12-11-2002, 08:59 AM
when i was installign a body kit on my friends prelude, we ran into the same problem. so we all just grabbed the car and lifted it up onto the jack lol. but rolling it up onto some wood or even just ramps (if u don't need to remove the wheels) could be sufficient enough. also investing in a small hydrolic jack could work. the smaller ones are like hella cheap and can fit under ur car

VegasMatt
12-11-2002, 09:05 AM
I use the force like Luke Skywalker did when he lifted the X Wing fighter out of the swamp.

My jack fits under my car with no problems, and I also have a body kit.

Matt

Danger DANJ
12-11-2002, 09:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>I drive my car up on some 2x6 boards to get the jack under it. No big deal.

Wes</div>

I do the same thing and as you said, it's no big deal.

The only problem I ran into was when I installed the lowering springs, I couldn't lower the jack far enough to get it out, so I had to jack it back up and stick some boards under the front tires.

Galant_01
12-11-2002, 10:46 AM
I have the H&R's and I have just been lifting the car up by the wheel wells just enough to get the floor jack under it!

The other day I had a flat and it was really low! I had to use the trunk jack and still lift it enough to get clearance! I really never thought about the boards thing. But it is managable! Don't worry...

HeadAche
12-11-2002, 11:26 AM
I dont have that problem, i just barely got enough room to fit the jack under...

Tiptronic
12-11-2002, 01:11 PM
dont have that problem. i normally use the jack that came with the car. works fine, and has good clearance

BGR
12-11-2002, 03:16 PM
My OEM jack still fits with no problems. I have to use that first to lift the car high enough so that I could slip my 2 1/2 ton jack underneath.

hsinya
12-12-2002, 02:37 AM
lol yeah thats what i was asking about... even tho its small as hell and will fit no matter how low the car can go, the jack that comes with the car sucks... i dont really want to be using that to jack up the car high enough AND THEN get a hydrolic jack under there.... too much work for my lazy ass... i never thought about rolling the car on some wooden boards.... i guess thats a easy solution. i guess i gotta go look for some floor jacks that will go low enough, any suggestions?

pinoyesv6
12-12-2002, 08:14 AM
i guess i gotta go look for some floor jacks that will go low enough, any suggestions?

try walmart, sears kmart, places like that. walmart and kmart have the best prices, but sometimes if u hit it right, sears will have good package deals too. you don't need a 3 ton professional grade high lift floor jack for ur galant. a simple 2-2.5 ton floor jack should be sufficient. also with the jack stands, higher is not better. i have a pair of 3 ton professional high ass jack stands. it does feel nice to almost sit up when ur working under ur car but its a bitch to get it up there

Galant_01
12-12-2002, 08:39 AM
I have the Wal-Mart Kit that comes with 2 stands and the floorjack. I think I paid like 40 bucks but I still have to either us the stock jack first of if you have enough strenth you can pick up the car via the front wheel well. You can pick it up enough to have someone else put the floor jack under it. I do it all the time!

TJC
12-12-2002, 10:03 AM
You know they do sell special hydrolic jacks that are very low profile specifically designed for lowered cars. They are more expensive though b/c they know there aren't too many manufacturers that make them so command a higher price.

The other thing you can do is buy ramps and also buy special extensions for the ramps. The extend the ramp and make it a more gradual incline also specifically designed for dropped cars.

A cheap way to do it is go make your own ramps that will just lift it about 3" off the ground so you can use your regular jack. If you want to make a rough one, just buy 1" thick board and cut them in 3 different lengths (2', 1.5', & 1'), then just stack them all together lining them up on one edge and screw all 3 boards together making a rough looking ramp. :wink:

Ghost Beat
12-12-2002, 11:20 AM
when i first got my coilovers and set them and lowered the car i couldnt get the jack out lol i had to set them up a bit higher to get it out but i had it slammed it looked so hot but i probbaly would have lost the front end coming out of the driveway if i would have kept it that low bu after i got it up a little higher havent had any problems with the jack since