PDA

View Full Version : STARTER KILL SWITCH.....HOW?(with pics)

GaLaNt_03
07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
hey i was just wondering if ne of u guys know how to install a starter kill switch....i been lookin around and i couldnt find a tutorial....hopefully one of u guys know....and hopefully u got pics....thanks....

Stewi
07-31-2007, 03:20 PM
There are two ways to do this, easy way and a hard way....

hard way first....

things you need

kill switch
30 Amp Automotive Relay
4 female blade terminal connectors
about 10 feet of 18 gauge primary wire
2-3 feet of 10 gauge wire for a ground
total cost...maybe at most $40

There is a wire that goes to the starter solenoid, it has a slip on black plastic connector, that is the wire that turns on the starter when you turn the key. Cut the loom and electrical tape off the factory wiring and trace that wire back to a few inches before the fuse box and cut it. Run the end nearest the fuse box to the 12v input on the relay, run the other end to the 12v output of the relay. Run a piece of 10 gauge wire from the ground terminal on the relay to a good ground source. Mount your kill switch inside the car and connect it to a switched 12 power source that has power with the key in the "start" position. Find a good ground source and ground the switch. Now run a piece of 18 gauge primary wire from the switch to the signal input terminal on the relay.

So this is how it works, you put your key in, turn it to start, flip your kill switch into the "ON" position, now the power from the kill switch tells the relay to connect the power from the fuse box to the starter solenoid and turn the key and it starts.

'Now for the easy way.....

things you need

kill switch
18 gauge primary wire

Take the steering column cover off, look thru a wiring diagram and find the ignition wire that controls the starter solenoid. Cut it, and wire the switch in between the two cut wires adn then grond the switch. Turn the switch on, turn the key, car starts.

Dont be a ricer and mount the switch on the dash in hopes that a potential thief wont thing to flip that switch when he is trying to hotwire your car. Honestly, you dont really need that switch anyway since your ECU already has an immobilizer and you should have an alarm which would disable the ignition once it is triggered. The long and the short of it is this, if someone wants to steal your car bad enough, they will.

GaLaNt_03
07-31-2007, 04:10 PM
yea tha thing is that my dad tookthe horn and alarm off for now so he can rewire the fog lights....but thanks any ways...i dont think ima do it until the car looks good enuff for sumone to steal haa....wait wat am i talkin about....G's look good even if there stock....