PDA

View Full Version : Oil Light is Coming On

BEAST
12-11-2002, 06:55 PM
It seems that when I make the drive from Lawrence back to Shawnee or vice versa that my oil light comes on after I get off of the highway and am stopped at say a stop light or something. I don't really know why this is. It is about a 25 mile drive or so and I usually just use my cruise control the whole way at about 80-85 mph.

Even when I don't race someone or am really hard on my engine while on the highway it will still come on when I am stopped. It doesn't just stay lit though, usually it will flicker on and off real quick. If I put it in neutral then the rpms go up a little bit and the light goes off. Same as if I press lightly on the gas. It is like my rpms aren't high enough to keep the pump flowing enough, even though when I am sitting in gear with the break pressed it is at about 850-950 rpms. I know it isn't the filter cause I just changed my oil about 3 weeks ago. Any ideas to why this may be?

Tiptronic
12-11-2002, 06:57 PM
maybe a loose connection, or the light for it is about to go out. seems odd if you just changed your oil. pinoy or fishboy may know whats up, or at least give you more info.

BGR
12-11-2002, 06:59 PM
I had the same problem you're describing with my Sentra. You'll need to get your oil switch checked out. Having a mechanic check it and replacing it should run about $100 or a little more.

pinoyesv6
12-11-2002, 07:01 PM
how is ur oil level? could be that u just have barely enough or something....

Tiptronic
12-11-2002, 07:01 PM
thats just as bad as my wiper switch that cost me 120. i hate that parts are so expensive, especially when you HAVE to get them from the dealer

pinoyesv6
12-11-2002, 07:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MITSU_I4)</div><div class='quotemain'>thats just as bad as my wiper switch that cost me 120. Â*i hate that parts are so expensive, especially when you HAVE to get them from the dealer</div>

jsut remember del ray is having that x-mas special...so now would be the time

Tiptronic
12-11-2002, 07:06 PM
im on it! thanks

manybrews
12-11-2002, 08:53 PM
if its not low oil, its definatly an oil pressure switch.

they have a high failure rate.

bongi
12-11-2002, 10:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>if its not low oil, its definatly an oil pressure switch.

they have a high failure rate.</div>

:wink: I second that, just buy a new oil pressure switch.

BEAST
12-11-2002, 10:32 PM
What is the oil pressure switch and could I install it myself.

cantbeatmy97
12-12-2002, 05:40 PM
mopst likely the connection or the oil pressure sending switch i think thats what they call it. its probally time to change it

manybrews
12-13-2002, 05:14 PM
What is the oil pressure switch and could I install it myself.'

the oil pressure switch is nothing more than the switch that turns on the oil warningn light on the dash. Its located right by the oil filter, and yes, you can change it easily. you need an oil switch socket, though.. you could try using a large pair of pliers, but you will probably damage the new one whilst installing it.

bongi
12-13-2002, 08:08 PM
true it is near the oil filter and should be like a screwed plug to the engine with a wire connected to it. It can be taken out with an adjustable spanner or a regular socket that will fit it, you have to detach the connection and with a screw driver remove the male connector. that will help you pull out the oil pressure switch.

rfpa1
12-22-2002, 12:04 AM
If you do it yourself it should cost you less than 25 bucks.

(10 for the switch, 6 for a 6 pack, the rest is for your tip).

You can get the switch from autozone then use an adjustable wrench or an open wrench. It should take you about 5 minutes. Be aware that is better to do it when you change the oil, otherwise the oil that is in the oil filter will come out from the hole while you are connecting and disconnecting it.

Also, your oil pump might be failing, that switch is more for the oil pump presure, you might be better of having some one take a look at the oil presure before doing anything else.

I just replaced my switch at 125k just because, the other switch still works (based on the tests on the books) but is better to be safe than sorry.