PDA

View Full Version : Can suspension mess up your axels/trans????

karazwu
12-11-2002, 08:21 PM
I have a 99 galant ES V6. I have Eibach lowering springs and all that other good stuff. Recently i've heard a whinning noise. I took my car in and the place said that the noise was from the dust cover. It was rubbing against the springs and so they adjusted the cover so it would'nt rub. They also said that <span style='color:orange'>since the car is lowered that the axel and the alignment could gett messed up or even break. Is this true?Also since the axels were a little off the guy said there could also be transmission problems. IS this true?</span>

pinoyesv6
12-11-2002, 08:32 PM
first of all lowering ur car does mess up ur alignment. thats y u get it fixed right after u drop. now about the things breaking i don't know but he's kidna right about the axle and tranny just cuz the axle is ur tranny...hence the name transaxle

TJC
12-11-2002, 08:38 PM
If the drop is not extreme, it can be correctly aligned and still have everything within factory specs. If it's extreme like over a 2 inch drop, it can put the suspension and transaxle out of factory specs and also extra stress.

manybrews
12-11-2002, 08:57 PM
the alignment is most definatly screwed up when a car is dropped.
as far as the axles go, well, thats kinda bunk.
the axles ARE designed to be basically parallel to the ground, and at a zero degree angle when running down the street. BUT.. theyre constant velocity joints, and they will suffer no real damage if theyre left at an angle while driving. the worst case scenario is that MAYBE the boots will wear out sooner (but i doubt it).

the alignment should be checked immeadiatly, though

HeadAche
12-11-2002, 09:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>the alignment is most definatly screwed up when a car is dropped.
as far as the axles go, well, thats kinda bunk.
the axles ARE designed to be basically parallel to the ground, and at a zero degree angle when running down the street. Â*BUT.. theyre constant velocity joints, and they will suffer no real damage if theyre left at an angle while driving. Â*the worst case scenario is that MAYBE the boots will wear out sooner (but i doubt it).

the alignment should be checked immeadiatly, though</div>

That is true about the boot, becase this guy i know on his civic his boot blew up one day and u could just hear the struct fulling compressing when he hit a bump..