PDA

View Full Version : All out N/A engine build for the 4g64

underated
08-02-2007, 06:08 AM
i have a spare 4g64 block and a 4g64 crank (100mm stroke) and a evo 4g63 crank (88mm stroke)... im doing an all motor build and want to sort a few things out before i have my builder order the pistons.

Here are some ideas
i'm thinking of destroking the 4g64 with the evo crank which will yield a 2.1L then a set of 11.5:1 comp 87.5mm overbore pistons which should come out to about 2.3L but with the shorter stroke i should be able to keep the revs higher.

or

Keep the 4g64 block, 4g64 crank and use the same pistons pistons from the above setup... revs wont be as high but the added torque will be there.

i will be using my kia head which is the reason for the 11.5:1 pistons since it was said the the head drops the comp ratio a full point.

one thing im not to sure about is how well aftermarket evo cams will work with an all motor setup i know turbo and n/a grinds work differently so i dont know if i should just get some stock evo cams and have them reground for n/a specs or if some of the 264/272/280 shelf cams will work.

oh what the bore on the optima throttle body is it 60mm like the evo? i have a set of CBR1000 ITB's and i'm entertaining the idead of an itb setup but i cant find a evo head flange i've tried a couple companies but they wont sell just the flange... it shouldnt be too hard with a speed density setup.

ive got a set of 310cc, 440cc and 450cc injectors and im thinking i should use the 310 or 440 but i read somewhere that the dsm's peak/hold injectors respond quicker then saturated injectors. i have a 255lph fuel pump for my turbo setup already installed which was supplying my 450's so i think im good for fuel

I'm not looking for super high numbers i've done the turbo route and it was fun but now i want to try something new and i think a highly responsive high reving all motor build will be interesting

any and all helpful info/responses will be greatly appreciated

Stewi
08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
If your doing it for AutoX im not sure why you would want high revving, I would think you would want more torque to have good power coming out of corners. I'm not sure where you can get a stock intake manifold flange, I guess you've already tried the regulars like RRE, Bushcur, AMS and Magnus? I think an ITB setup with a standalone engine management will be totally bad ass. I personally would stick with the 2.4 because its safer to make more power down low then up high, thats another reason I left the 2.0 motor and built a 2.4. High revs kills motora and trannies faster than a lower reving setup making the same power.

underated
08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
hey sorry stewi that autox line was a mistake this is just a daily driven n/a build

ok here is the setup i'm thinking of using

(x) 4g64 block
(x) 4g63 crank (2.1L) or 4g64 (2.4L) knife edged and cryo treated
(_) 11.5:1 .020 wiseco pistons
(_) eagle 7-bolt rods or shot peened cryo treated stock rods
(_) balance shaft delete
(x) kia optima head (all evo internals) not sure what cams to use yet
(_) 310cc injectors 255lph pump
(_) dc sport header
(x) 2.5 high flow cat
(x) 2.5 in/out vibrant performance muffler

seth98esT
08-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I think the only way you will like an NA 2.1 build is if you got ITBs and an aggressive set of cams degreed for top end. Either way, you have to go with ITBs!

underated
08-02-2007, 06:42 PM
yah seth thats what i was thinking too ITB's are a project i've wanted to do since i helped my friend install his on his 2g integra... i know 2 other guys with rsx's that have itb's also...

this is a tough decision damn

qnz
08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
wouldnt you want higher compression to get more hp?

underated
08-07-2007, 08:55 PM
UPDATE

i just got my complete Hyundai Sonata engine delivered...

what do you guys think i should use as far as camshafts?
should i have the sonata stock cams reground?
i also have a set of evo cams should i get those reground?
is there a set of aftermarket cams for the evo that will work for a N/A setup

Boostedgalant56
08-08-2007, 08:35 PM
your not going to build you a turbo motor?

SkylineG1
08-08-2007, 08:39 PM
your not going o build you a turbo motor?

He had a turbo motor now for years. In fact i think that he was one of the first ones on TGC if not the first to turbo the 64 motor.

Boostedgalant56
08-09-2007, 01:32 AM
him and i turbo ours cars at around the same time ive had mine now for 3 1/2 years

n3oAcid24
08-09-2007, 09:16 AM
RPW makes camshafts for the 4G64. they afford different stages too. NA and Turbo. i just bought a Stage 2 N/A cam for my car. :D

Stewi
08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
If you decide to do the 2.1 motor. DONT use an EVO crank. EVO crank's are not nitride coated from the factory, only late 1g non turbo 7 bolt and 2g 7 bolt cranks have the nitride coating. Those cranks are also the exact same specs as the EVO crank aside from the coating.

underated
08-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Boostedgalant56 yah i got rid of the turbo setup and i'm gonna do an all motor build... im not looking for crazy numbers i just want a new project. my datsun is my the new power car lol

ok guys i ordered my pistons from RRE
got my eagle rods
balance shaft delete kit

now i just dont know what to do about cams for the DOHC but they are made with a turbo in mind... would it still be ok to use a evo 264/272 setup for my n/a build

Stewi thanks for the heads up about the crank... i'll look into getting one from one of those cars it should be pretty easy to find right? also is it ok to have the crank polished even tho it coated?

6G72gearhead
08-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Stay away from turbo cams for an n/a build. Turbo cams open the exhaust valve a couple degrees before btdc, which on a turbo motor spools the turbine faster, but is simply wastefull on an n/a car.

Keep in mind 100 hp per liter is all the more you'll probably get out of it, so with a 2.1L thats 210 hp.

Stewi
08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Boostedgalant56 yah i got rid of the turbo setup and i'm gonna do an all motor build... im not looking for crazy numbers i just want a new project. my datsun is my the new power car lol

ok guys i ordered my pistons from RRE
got my eagle rods
balance shaft delete kit

now i just dont know what to do about cams for the DOHC but they are made with a turbo in mind... would it still be ok to use a evo 264/272 setup for my n/a build

Stewi thanks for the heads up about the crank... i'll look into getting one from one of those cars it should be pretty easy to find right? also is it ok to have the crank polished even tho it coated?

Yeah talk with a machine shop that has built DSM motors before, they will till you how thick the nitride coating is on the stock crank and give you the service tolerance limits as to the coating being kept in tact. This way when you go to buy the crank, bring a micrometer and check the specs to make sure your buying a crank that you can use. Also, one more thing, I dont know if you've considered this or not. Eagle makes steel 2.4 and 2.0 cranks for mitsu's, so if you dont want to go used, thats another option. They cost just as much as a new crank from mitsu.