PDA

View Full Version : Engine knock

Mough
12-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Last December my girlfriend and I bought a 99 Galant with the 4G64. At about 42,000 in developed a slight knock in the engine. The car now has 55,000 on it and it is currently at the dealer with the engine tore apart. After takeing it in for the second time and haveing to diagnose the problem myself the dealer tore it down to check it out. The cause of the noise was a cracked ring land and ring on #4. When I took it in the second time they told me it was a vlave lash problem and the valves need adjusted, but the the 4G64 has hydrolic lash adjusters so I knew they didnt know that they were talking about. When I got home I started unplugging the injectors to isolate the cylinder. When I got to #4 it almost stopped, and when I took off the oil cap there was alot of blowby. The next day to took it back and chewed some ass and convinced the technician that was working on it that the problem was in the bottom end. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced internal failures like this.

TJC
12-11-2002, 10:44 PM
Welcome to TGC mough. Cracked ring land? The rings of the piston? Cracked piston? If anything, that should develop a leak and should be a lack of compression which counters knock, lol. I just hope the dealer is reliable and isn't giving you a line of B.S. I would ask them what they did to diagnose and come to that conclusion or show you the damaged part when they are done. If it really is pre-ignition that's causing a knock, higher octane gas should of taken care of that but it sounds like you have something a lot more serious. Good luck with getting to the bottom of it.

BlueESV6
12-12-2002, 06:02 AM
One sure sign of a ring, piston or head problem is to check cylinder pressures. They may have checked the pressure and it was way off on that piston. (would ahve some sort of documentation/ printout...) Was this a loud knocking or just a tapping sound? Knocking IMO sounds worse! The description they gave sounds like a piston and ring problem but I have never hear of "ring land" before unless they are talking about the "slot" the ring rides in the piston itself.... just guessing though.

I'd just ask what they mean by that and for the old parts as TJC said. Good Luck with that and welcome to the TGC! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif