PDA

View Full Version : What Kind Of Paint?

pakisouljah
08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
i wanna make my dash black, also but what kind of paint can i use and can someone please explain how to, besides just spray painting it, how to make the nice dash look with how many layers and stuff? thankss!

badmitsu
08-07-2007, 11:14 PM
i used dollar store paint on mine and it looks damn good

pakisouljah
08-07-2007, 11:17 PM
haha seriously tho, can u show me some pics?

cbwdevil
08-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I used DuPont Trim black and SEM trim black.

badmitsu
08-07-2007, 11:19 PM
heres a link:
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=58518

pakisouljah
08-07-2007, 11:26 PM
where can i buy it from, do i just apply 1 layer? of just regular black paint ?

mapid145
08-07-2007, 11:27 PM
u should take ur dash out.. seriously.. it does help

kryion fusion paint.. something like that.. its amazing

fatal1
08-07-2007, 11:30 PM
if you want to do the actual dash i would wrap it...with whatever color you shoose vynil...it will look cleaner and lost a last a lot longer, and you wont have to worry about scuff marks, the interior woodgrain etc you should paint though obviously if thats what your referring to, for that you can use whatever paint you choose but take your time with it

badmitsu
08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
take your time and do alot of misty layers, 5x that if you have woodgrain, i did and it alot harder that the regular pieces. I just took what pieces i wanted to paint off and painted them, that way you get no overcast (overspray same thing).

Divinity
08-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Krylon fusion paint cracked and peeled when I used it to paint the plastic pieces on my civic. I followed the directions and everything. For the plastic pieces, any type of paint would work, like the 96 cent paint from Wal-mart, as long as you prep the areas properly. For the vinyl on the dash, I used vinyl and trim spray paint. For the hard to reach places, I sprayed a little bit into a plastic cup and used a paint brush. When I sprayed my dash, I didn't take it out, just taped off everything that I didn't want painted, but I did take out the air vents, lower and center consoles, and cluster. Good luck.

mapid145
08-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Krylon fusion paint cracked and peeled when I used it to paint the plastic pieces on my civic.

that why lol.. j/k.. it worked fine for me

qnz
08-08-2007, 08:12 AM
I use this thing called bulldog paint adhesive. Its a clear spray that you spray on first and it helps the paint stick to plastic. BTW, I used this for the trim pieces, not the dash.

pakisouljah
08-08-2007, 08:29 AM
sounds good, thanks guys!

Stewi
08-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I used Krylon fusion for the hard plastic pieces like the radio and shifter bezels. For the dash and any of the other vinyl trim, there is a special paint made for dash boards, all the body shops use it. If you can wait til tomorrow, I am going to buy some for my car tomorrow from the local body shop supply shop. I can give you the name of it tomorrow.

cbwdevil
08-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I use this thing called bulldog paint adhesive. Its a clear spray that you spray on first and it helps the paint stick to plastic. BTW, I used this for the trim pieces, not the dash.

Bulldog = good sh*t man.

pakisouljah
08-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I used Krylon fusion for the hard plastic pieces like the radio and shifter bezels. For the dash and any of the other vinyl trim, there is a special paint made for dash boards, all the body shops use it. If you can wait til tomorrow, I am going to buy some for my car tomorrow from the local body shop supply shop. I can give you the name of it tomorrow.

sounds good, lemme know

Stewi
08-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Ok I just got it. Its called SEM Classic Coat. Available in a variety of interior trim colors. it was $13 for a can

pinoyesv6
08-09-2007, 08:05 PM
make sure you prep the pieces well before you paint, no matter what kinda paint you use, its not gonna look good if the surface isn't prepped.