PDA

View Full Version : HELP: How do you read the ATF dipstick?

TJC
12-12-2002, 10:51 AM
This is what my dipstick looks like (not drawn to scale, obviously).

/cold---/|hot|----------/-------------------------]-O

My question is how do you read the dipstick for hot? I've look in the service manual and all it says is that the cold is just for quick reference and the hot is the accurate one. There are no specifics in the manual about location on the dipstick. Now "hot" has two lines (before and after) around the word. Now I don't know if the fluid level is supposed to be between the two lines or up to the big "/" bend in the dipstick farther up from the "hot" mark.

I think the "|hot|" mark is too low in fluid level and don't ever remember it being that low so I'm guessing up to the big "/" bend in the dipstick.

hsinya
12-12-2002, 12:29 PM
according to a friend, (just pointing this out so i dont look like a fool if he's wrong :wink: )should be in between the the lines where the "hot" is, just like you said, i've looked at it before and yeah that somehow seems dangeriously low, but the stick is pretty long and it has to reach all the way down there. gotta warm up the car to get the oil warm to check tho

Fishboy55
12-12-2002, 12:29 PM
I could be wrong Gordon, but I think the fluid should be between the hot marks when your engine is at operating temp.

Chip

pinoyesv6
12-12-2002, 12:32 PM
quotes from the owners manual

"The fluid level should be at the HOT mark, but never abot the HOT mark when the engine is at its normal warmed up condition"

bongi
12-12-2002, 05:06 PM
it should be at the hot mark and the gear should be in neutral.

TJC
12-13-2002, 12:27 AM
thanks guys. looks like we have a unanimous decision :mrgreen: