PDA

View Full Version : Norcal Performance Turbo Kit for the 2.4L 8G

Norcal Performance
12-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Right now we only have it available for the Eclipse and Stratus coupe. I will be making this kit available to fit on the Galant very soon. I just want to see if anybody will be interested. This is a very well designed kit. We have had it on our test car (Stratus Coupe) Since febuary. At the time it was an Automatic and we resently did a 5-speed swap. With the Auto at 4psi it got 164hp to the wheels and 175lb of torque. We will uping the boost to 6psi. So as soon as we Dyno it we can give new numbers. We plan to dyno very soon. We will have the kit preset at 6psi but it will be capable oof much more. For more info please post here or call us at 408-226-2023.

http://www.norcal-performance.com/tim/1.jpg
http://www.norcal-performance.com/tim/2.jpg

Cliff

BGR
12-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Hey, that looks really nice Cliff. Good Job.

RedGalant2k1
12-12-2002, 07:01 PM
Damn thats one CLEAN turbo setup!!

How much?

HeadAche
12-12-2002, 08:26 PM
That set-up is extremely clean.. Wondering what the numbers will be at 6psi//

Norcal Performance
12-13-2002, 12:34 AM
For 6 psi you can probably figure ABOUT 185-195 whp with good tuning on an auto.

We will be getting my car back tomorrow and we'll see if we can get it running. This will be at 4psi on the newly swapped 5-speed. So we'll see what kind of numbers we can get from that.

Norcal Performance
12-13-2002, 12:38 AM
Opps sorry forgetting the price. The price for the complete kit is $3600. It includes FMIC, Turbo T3/4, Piping, turbo Manifold, 440cc injectors, AFC, and much more.

Cliff

DJ Galant
12-13-2002, 04:14 AM
this is question to norcal performance:

I am assuimg those number are at 9:1 compression...
Now, my question is: how much of the tuning do you guys do on turbo eclipse - or stratus after installation of the turbo.
Do you tune them on the dyno - or you just take them to the Dyno to run a baseline?

Also, is there any way that we can see the dyno basline ? (on the turbo eclipse or stratus with the 4g64).

Norcal Performance
12-13-2002, 11:01 AM
We have done a large amount of tuning on the dyno. We feel that tuning on a dyno is by far the best way to tune a car. We honestly dont recommend tuning any other way.

When tuning my car, we gained 17whp just from tuning.

Unfortunately we werent able to get a baseline dyno run. Due to the fact that the kit was already on my car before we went to the dyno and couldnt get a baseline.

Yes those numbers are at stock compression. We have not lowered my compression yet. Although we are having Forged Pistons made (8.5:1)

escoson
12-14-2002, 03:58 AM
this looks really nice, where are you located?

Auto-9
12-14-2002, 09:40 AM
San Jose, California https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Jenny
12-22-2002, 07:15 PM
may i ask why you are running a T3/4 turbo? To my knowledge that turbo doesn't spool very early and if you are only running 4-6psi why use a turbo that takes longer to spool...Why not use like a t25, or a 14b?
even with the new pistons, i dont see it going over 15psi, unless maybe you have more plans, but unless you are using a ball bearing turbo it just doesnt make sense

also, why take the time to make a custom exhaust manifold when a 4g63t exhaust manifold works? The only thing i could think of is that a t3/4 turbo doesnt bolt up to a dsm manifold, but that goes back to the question of why use a t3/4

so , i guess the question is, are you using a ball bearing turbo, and if not, why a t3/4 on such a low boost application, i must admit though, beautiful looking setup, very clean

Norcal Performance
12-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Very good questions. Now for an attempt at answering them.

From my daily driving with the kit at 4 psi on the auto. I really didnt experience a horrible amount of lag. Yes it was noticeable, but not unbearable.

We will be boosting much higher....much much higher. We were running only 4 psi for safety reasons. And since, we werent sure of how much boost the stock auto tranny could hold (we'd heard rumors of 250 bhp) we really didnt want to up it too high and have my tranny littering the street behind me.

We feel that the T3/4 combo, gives the best combonation of both streetability and maximum performance. The way we look at it, those who turbocharge there car, they're going to go all out on it. Right? They're not going to leave it at 4 psi. 4 psi is simply a starting point.

We decided to design a custom manifold partly for fitment with the t3/4 turbo.

But yes, it is a low boost application only for the time being. We have big plans for this car....stay tuned

g96nt
12-23-2002, 06:49 PM
norcal, I hate to Answer for you.. but

for the "lag" question... there's a simple Answer: (in the form of a question)

why would he worry about Turbo-lag? did he have turbo lag before the turbo?

turbo-lag is merely the "lack of power" you experience With low static-compression Turbo motors before the turbo spools to compensate.

since Norcal Didn't lower the compression, There is no turbo lag. the motor runs like it did before the turbo. no big Whoop. if he is feeling turbo lag, it's likely owners perception.

what *I* don't get... maybe norcal can shed some light.. is why wouldn't you use an EVO IV+ turbo? It's pointed in the right direction, and doesn't have to be flipped to Work correctly. or, did you find a properly oriented garret?

one(or a couple) things To take into consideration

t3/t4 is a common Turbo, with respectibly high CFM amounts.
you have to think.. these guys with hondas And even 4g63's are anywhere from 66-80% The displacment of a 4g64, which means
running 6psi with a 4g64 is more like running 11Psi in a honda, and probably somewhere around 9psi in a 4g63 air-mass wise.

I would venture to say, That a t3/t4 or larger evo-spec 16G is a *great* turbo for the 4g64.

also.. if you're building a turbo kit, you need to think Ahead; why build the kit with a turbo that has to be upgraded is you decide to upgrade anything else? a 14b would have a hard time keeping up with the 4g64 with more than 12psi (lower limits with lower CR)

and... Well the t25 doesn't even keep up with the 4g63.. so for your sake.. forget the existance of the t25 :wink:

I, for one, didn't know the stratus used the 4g64.. I thought it was a cryco motor.

Norcal,

Your installation is beautiful, clean and precise.

the price of the kit, however, seems a little steep. if you were to use a stock DSM/EVO manifold($150+ porting Time)/oxygen-sensor housing($165+porting Time), and possibly even an EVO-spec 16G(~$700), you could probably drop the price on the kit by more than $800.

unless, or course, those are tuned runners?

also, did you use the 2k+ eclipse 5-speed tranny?
did you upgrade The tranny internals? use a ACT 2100?

Norcal Performance
12-24-2002, 01:01 AM
Thanks g96nt for posting those asnwers. Now to answer your questions. We buit this kit to take upgrades to it. We wanted the perfect kit for these cars that can be upgraded without spending alot of cash. As far as the Tranny It is a 2k+ Eclipse tranny and the clutch is a prototype clutch that we are testing for a company that we can't name just yet. As far as how the setup of the turbo configuration. We get our turbos straight from Turbonetics and the built them the way we tell them to so the turbos are to out specs. We can change them if we need to for different applications.

Cliff

Norcal Performance
12-24-2002, 07:35 PM
Also, the "turbo-lag" I described, was not a loss in power persay, but more like what g96nt said...."driver perception" The "lag" I feel was before any turbo kicks in. So its stock power until about 3300 rpms. Thent he boost kicks in. Not bad for a decent sized turbo like this.

As far as internals...All stock so far. But a full rebuild is planned.

And like you said, the t3/4 is a common turbo and easily accessable. More accessable than the EVO IV

g96nt
12-27-2002, 10:37 AM
if you're interested, I know of Someone that actually got 1/4 dozen evoIII 16G's
and Was Able to sell @ a profit for $620

I can Ask if he may be Able To do the Same For the IV... interested?

boostin4g64_2jzgte
12-30-2002, 11:05 AM
well i can vouch for the t3/t4 turbo, since my brother in the islands has costum fabricated evrerything for his pt cruiser,for his 2.4 . right now its still in develpoment stages as the turbo really builds boost at 2800-3000 rpms since its a bigger displaced motor and curently running 6psi with stock injectors, running a tiel wastegate, 250 fuel pump and runs grea with a little tunning, but next is acquring a fuel controller frm apexi and integraing it t the car , and injectors are on the way ,550's, but its a great turbo, and is used allot on dsm's.oh and the clutch is still holding but not for long. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

shnazi
02-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Geetings from Australia https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif , I have the 95 HJ 2.0 ltr V6 galant.....will something like this fit my engine

NOSMAN7G
02-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Very nice setup Norcal. I was just wondering how much of a diffence are the 7g's and the 8g engines?? Will this setup fit on a 7g?? Thanks

FLO-DOG
02-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Norcal,

How much for a manual boost cantrol for a turbo

Babybouy
03-06-2003, 06:44 PM
just wondering if it would be possible add a turbo kit to my v-6 engine

johnnyBgood
03-08-2003, 06:41 PM
how much did the 5 spd conversion cost?

SuperchargedGTZ
03-08-2003, 07:14 PM
for your V6 i would go with RIPP sds system. there hasnt been a really good V6 turbo kit just yet without any problems.

but for the 4 bangers this kit looks pretty solid

post some dynos

4g64terror
03-08-2003, 07:36 PM
u guys at norcal are runnin 440 cc injectors and the afc on the turbo stratus right? or for your kits anyway. how is the fuel curve working out? will u need a FPR also? 1 to 1 rate or adjustable/pressure/rate? what are you guys tuning with? are you using any kind of knock control or timing retard?

TITAN
05-19-2003, 01:37 PM
wow, this fell thru, too. shame shame :nono:

Lazarus
05-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Why you gotta be so ignorant? They tried to get the kit for us but noone stepped up to get the car fitted. I was gonna drive my car across the country to get the kit fitted. the only thing is I wouldn't be able ot do it til September so for you to sit there and say "oh another strike against Norcal" they can't get their shit together. that's bull crap. Who's fault is it that they don't have a galant to ge the car for us? that's just ignorant.

TITAN
05-20-2003, 05:36 PM
well all i see is a topic dropped. no link to a new thread or a "yes" or "no" on if it worked or not. granted, I didnt bother to look for one because most times you dont have to do a damn search for something like that, its just there. so when I see nothing there, to me it means the ball was dropped.

i dont know whos fault it was we didnt get a test car, you tell me. you said you were going to travel cross-country, well what happened? why i gotta be ignorant? why you gotta be so angry? Im merely stating the facts.

8ggalant
05-20-2003, 08:36 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif what the hell https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif he doesnt drive ACROSS COUNTRY now its his fault cuz a turbo kit didnt get built 4 our car...is it that serious...well why didnt u go...im personally not 4 buying "kits"...rather juss build my own...do yer own r&d ...save $...but n/e way...if u come at somebody barkin they gon' bark back...like my boy laz did...dont really care myself...norcal has let us down on occassion...but them not havin a car to build the damn kit its not there fault or our fault...my .02 cents

Lazarus
05-20-2003, 08:43 PM
the only thing is I wouldn't be able ot do it til September

I talked it over with them already. the reason I wouldn't be able to take it to them til September is because of work. I'm in the military and I can't just take off 2 weeks to go to California to get work done to my car. I had already talked to them about it with them and said that in the even that noone wants to get it done I would bring my car our there In September that way I could get the Turbo and some other stuff done and they could get the measurements off my Car so they could make the Initial V Body Kit for the US Spec Setup. But reguardless it shouldn't have to come to that. If people wanted to get the Turbo kit made then I am sure that someone in Cali, TX, or even Vegas might have been able to go that wanted the kit. It should come ot some on the east coast to have to come out there to get it done. That's all I am sayin. The Ball dropped on the "veilside wide body kit" too didn't see any fingers pointing there. I get upset because people are saying stupid comments that don't need to be said about a decent company that tries to do stuff for us.What's the last company or shop do you know that did something or had something custom made or at least attempetd to do something for the Galant. or any other non Honda Non Eclipse Car?

TITAN
05-21-2003, 11:36 AM
i wasnt blaming LAZ for anything, i wasnt barking at any body so i have no idea what u talking about, anyway...

company that tries to do stuff for us.

oh well, if you get it done, cool. if not, whatever. atleast they "tried".

billb29
08-30-2003, 08:56 PM
i have a 1996 Galant S, its an auto so im pretty screwed for acceleration right there. Would this turbo kit fit be a candidate for me?

Lazarus
09-01-2003, 12:17 AM
i have a 1996 Galant S, its an auto so im pretty screwed for acceleration right there. Would this turbo kit fit be a candidate for me?

Yes and no. automatic doesn't really matter boosted is boosted. and boosting is good. however....... Norcal isn't doing buisness with TGC anymore. Have to fnd means elsewhere

HeadAche
09-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Life's a bitch you move on and try something different... So they couldnt get a test car o well, shit happens.. LaZ, you know i would be down for a road trip if you had to make that ride 2 homie.. We would have to take Kevin with us though, Lol.. cant leave him behind..lol

8ggalant
09-01-2003, 08:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeadAche)</div><div class='quotemain'>Life's a bitch you move on and try something different... So they couldnt get a test car o well, shit happens.. LaZ, you know i would be down for a road trip if you had to make that ride 2 homie.. We would have to take Kevin with us though, Lol.. cant leave him behind..lol</div>

wherrr we goin? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Lazarus
09-01-2003, 11:50 PM
you just concentrate on keping up there Kevin....lol. But the plan is Cali. to drop teh car off. because of the last accident I am gonna have to put the turbo on hold til I get back on my feet in FLorida. I may move down to "O-Town" and see what's going on there but I still have to see. THat spells trouble. though. With Shane and Clay already there.

Khopari
09-01-2003, 11:55 PM
um wtf what about us 6 banger..

FastNFabolous
09-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Why you gotta be so ignorant? They tried to get the kit for us but noone stepped up to get the car fitted. I was gonna drive my car across the country to get the kit fitted. the only thing is I wouldn't be able ot do it til September so for you to sit there and say "oh another strike against Norcal" they can't get their shit together. that's bull crap. Who's fault is it that they don't have a galant to ge the car for us? that's just ignorant.

Just to let you guys know that I am gonna be Cliff's tester ( new project car ) of their kit. We've been talking bout this for a while now. Was just waiting for them to move here in town w/c unfortunately didnt work out well with them last couple of months now c'uz of the place they were supposed to move in was a disaster. We could have done & finish this project as soon as they posted about their kit but I lost my job couple of weeks after that so i didnt have enough funds for it. But, me, my bro-in-law, Tim, Josh & the rest of Norcals team are doing all we can so we can find them a new home here in Vegas!!!
Eventhough his back there in San Jose it doesnt mean we cant do this project before X-mas :wink:
I know you guys had enough w/ them but it doesnt mean I cant represent our -G- on their team :wink: 8) :wink:

Lazarus
09-03-2003, 04:12 PM
They need to move a shop out here to Florida and There wouldn't be any problems. What so ever.