PDA

View Full Version : Remote starter for 01 G

keithert
08-14-2007, 08:02 AM
My Galant will have to sit outside this winter so I'm looking into adding a remote starter to it. I have a few questions. Since the car has the security chip in the key I assume I will have to buy a module to insert a key into. Is this true? Can I use the valet key for this? I see Best Buy has a unit for $179 with basic installation. I assume the G is not a basic install because of the security key. How much extra will I likely pay because of this? I only want a remote start. I don't need to spend extra on an alarm. Lastly should I even consider installing one myself? I'm not good at electronics and hunting wires that are all over the car.

cntrylvr79
08-14-2007, 06:51 PM
If you're not good with electronics, then I would recommend having it professionally installed. As far as price and parts goes (based on when I worked at bb over a year ago)

179.99 - Remote Start System
49.99 - 556U Bypass module
24.99 - Bypass module install

YEs you can use the valet key in the bypass module. As long as you can start the car with the valet key, then you can use it.

lonestar22
08-14-2007, 07:02 PM
all the wires are under the steering wheels
diy

cntrylvr79
08-14-2007, 07:39 PM
all the wires are under the steering wheels
diy

Tach wire isn't.

fatal1
08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
in my old g i had the valet key in the maduale and it worked fine, although if you do plan on spending around that much anyway why not pay an extra $50-$100 and get a 2 way alarm with the remote start anyway...especially if you have anything done to your car etc it is probroblly one of the best investments you can make...even if it is bone stock in and out why not just have teh extra safety feature? i would also check out some car audio laces etc and see what they have ususally for a pretty good 2 way installed with a remote start it can be around $200 for the lower models and $250 for slightly better if you dont want anything too crazy.....just my $.02 if you plan on spending that much anyway

pinoyesv6
08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
if you do plan on spending around that much anyway why not pay an extra $50-$100 and get a 2 way alarm with the remote start anyway.

i totally agree. IMO doesn't even have to be a 2 way if you don't want. if i wanted a remote start, thats what I would do just because I don't want to have one key fob for the remote start and then another for the keyless entry. the less things I have to carry, the better.

keithert
08-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the helpful responses. What is 2 way about a 2 way alarm?

pinoyesv6
08-15-2007, 10:01 PM
it gives you feedback if you are in range. like if your alarm goes off.

cntrylvr79
08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Not to mention the factory fob will not work when the r/s is running the engine.

fatal1
08-15-2007, 10:53 PM
a 2 way comes with a pager type device which is also the controls to star lock arm the alarm, if your car was broken into it will page you and let you know etc

keithert
09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I just won a raffle for a $100 Best Buy gift card. So I guess I will be getting the remote starter from them. Anything specific I should ask them about or should know regarding their installation? I see they have a unit from Avital and another from Viper. The biggest difference I can see is that the Viper includes 2 remotes. Anything else that is better about the Viper? Is it's range better than the other?

badmitsu
09-13-2007, 01:01 PM
i had the viper system in a old truck of mine and never had any probs out of it.

lonestar22
09-13-2007, 06:08 PM
id suggest 2 way because you know when u are in range and u know when your car is running. sometimes ill think ive started my car and go out and its not.

keithert
11-16-2007, 08:47 AM
I had the Viper remote start only installed yesterday. It works well. I can start the car from at least a 1/4 mile away. One small issue is that I had it wired to turn on the defroster and now the left half of the heater display is not lit up when the dash lights are on. Is that a simple lightbulb or part of the electronis control for the heater controls?

cntrylvr79
11-16-2007, 06:04 PM
should be a bulb is either bad or got knocked out. Simple enough to get at though.