PDA

View Full Version : paint concerns

pakisouljah
08-14-2007, 08:16 AM
i started to paint my inside door panels, with KYRLON fusion black gloss, it came out nice, but that shit started cracking! and now its messed up, do i have to sand the whole thing down again? and clean it up then use bulldog and respray it with kyrlon? grrrrrrrrrrrr! :evil:

pinoyesv6
08-14-2007, 08:18 AM
thats the best thing you could do.

surface prep is really important prior to painting

pakisouljah
08-14-2007, 08:20 AM
if i sand it down, the door panels become so rough and hard, what kind of sand paper should i use? (example, fine, super fine, etc..)

99 galant
08-14-2007, 08:50 AM
do you have woodgrain bfore this? if so it happened to me. theres a VERY this plastic cover that when u sand, it doesnt come off but the paint gets under it and cracks

pinoyesv6
08-14-2007, 08:57 AM
if i sand it down, the door panels become so rough and hard, what kind of sand paper should i use? (example, fine, super fine, etc..)

thats because you weren't done sanding.

i usually start off with something rough to get most of the sanding work done. no point of spending an hour sanding with super fine if I can get it done in 5 minutes with rough or medium grit paper.

with that said, you have to learn to use the sandpaper. I usually buy the assortment pack. this is why. I usually start off with something rough to get most of the sanding out of the way. then I work my way up to medium fine, extra fine etc to smooth all the roughness that the previous sand paper left behind.

with that said, i usually end at 400 grit before paint. then after paint start off with like 1000 or 1500 grit and start wet sanding.

pakisouljah
08-14-2007, 08:36 PM
sweet, thanks guys

Armageddon Sunset
08-15-2007, 12:27 AM
whats the point of wet sanding? like you get the paper wet with water and then sand? whats it supposed to do?

then after that you can apply clear coat, but dont you have to wet sand that between coats? or something like that.

o1naturalhigh
08-15-2007, 12:29 AM
no clear coat with krylon fusion

pinoyesv6
08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
the biggest reason for wet sanding is to have a lubricant between the paint and the abrasive. if not then the abrasive gets clogged really easily.

remarque
08-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Use Dupli-Color or SEM Vinyl Dyes, they both work great on plastics. As others have been saying you have to sand and make sure the part is cleaned with a good degreaser. You can buy 3M's cleaner but it like 8 buck for a little bottle. Once its preped apply the paint or dye in light layers and allow it dry

The Dupli-Color can be found at autozone for 5.99, SEM has to be bought online for 13.00 its expensive but it works the best on plastics.

I've kicked and scuffed my panel and the dye does not chip or peel.