PDA

View Full Version : General 46g4 Question ( Compatability )

Eclipse97526
08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
:D

Well here is whats going on... And its always kinda been confusing to me. After all these years of research i have figured out alot... But It still boggles me... Ok.. I have a 1999 Galant ES. And it has a 4g64 Motor. I hear everyone talking about how all the parts are interchangeable from the 2g eclipses and 4g63 motors... Now this cant really be correct seeing how the 2g eclipse's Timing belt is on the driver side. Where my Galant ES Cam gear goes off to the pasanger side.. I was wondering. Should be looking for the 4g63 parts from the Evo 8 + Later models... Which correct me if im wrong please. But the 2003 + Evo's have a " 7 Bolt " 4g63 ? and the earlier modles are a 6 bolt ? Am i correct ? and the 7bolt 4g63's have the timing belt on the passanger side car as the same as mine. Are for say. The throtle body and everyting compatable with my motor ? This mainily pertains to the headswap, Which i have done plenty of research on, and figured that the only way i can do it, is to get the 7bolt head off the 2003 Evo. Clearning any confusion for me would be greatly appreachiated. Thanks !

seth98esT
08-14-2007, 09:10 AM
2g Eclipse parts are more compatible with 7gs, not 8gs. 8gs need Evo 4 - 9 parts. You can do a headswap with an Evo head, its been done a few times.

Eclipse97526
08-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Excelent, Thats what i figured ! but i was un certian... And the evo stuff i need is the 7bolt version of the 4g63 ( That is what its called right ? the 4g63 7bolt) the one that would bolt right up to my car ?

Eclipse97526
08-14-2007, 09:18 AM
So the internals of the engines are all 100 % compatable right ? other than the crank and what not. I mean like valves and such like that . Injectors persay ? :) Fuel pump ? Can i pull that off the 2g eclipse, Because i belive thoes are more high flow than my injectors. Thats one think i cant find out... What the stock injectors even are in the 4g63...

qnz
08-14-2007, 11:01 AM
the evo and and 2g injectors are low inpedence. 8gs are high. you would need a resistor pack

Eclipse97526
08-14-2007, 04:02 PM
So which injector / Fuel Pump Should i run, i plan on running a turbo here shortly . But nothing to crazy powerful.

seth98esT
08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
You dont need to swap anything untill you are turbo. If you install a fuel pump or injectors now without fuel control, your car will run like poop.

Injector size depends on the turbo and how much boost you will run. If your running a stock block, I would say a Walbro 190 is plenty for a fuel pump. Im not sure if you can use an Evo pump, but if you can, that would be suffice.

lonestar22
08-14-2007, 07:12 PM
im pretty sure u can use an EVO fuel pump
theres something on club3g about a $100 fuel solution that i think consists of using a evo pump

Eclipse97526
08-14-2007, 07:49 PM
sweet. Thanks for the info. Ill wait till i get turbo, then get the evo fuel pump :) Does anyone happen to know what CC's My stock Fuel injectors are ? And which CC Injectors i should upgrade to after upgrading to turbo ? Or just have a website with everything i need ;) But that would be to darn easy hehe.

Eclipse97526
08-14-2007, 07:52 PM
So which 4g63 motor is in the Later model Evo's ? the 4-8's ? Isint it a 7x bolt... I know ones a 6 bolt, ones a 7 bolt... And one is backwards... compared to my engine. my Timing belt is on the passanger side. And my transmission is on the driverside. I belive that i have a 7bolt 4g64.. Maybe someone else knows more in depth ?

Eclipse97526
08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
few more posts, then i can finaly get some pictures of my ride up here.

milo111000
08-14-2007, 09:26 PM
hurry up then!!! keep on posting!

Stewi
08-14-2007, 09:42 PM
EVO 4-9 have 7 bolt 4G63T's which are compatible with your USDM 8g Galant 4 cylinder. With that being said, EVO4-6 parts are slightly different than EVO7 and EVO7 is slightly different than EVO8/9. When I say different I dont mean in terms of the engine itself, but more of the components attached to the engine, water pump, p/s pump, alternator, valve cover, water pipe and neck, Etc. If you wanted to do a EVO headswap, in theory you can use any EVO4+ head, however you would need all the other stuff water pump, water neck, pipe, etc from that same engine to make it work. I had a JDM EVO7 motor in my car and it was such a bitch to get a water pump, it wasnt the same as the EVO8 and it took me 2 months to get a pump from Japan. I would recommend sticking to US spec EVO8 parts just for the sake of simplicity and readily available interchangeable parts.

Earlier EVO 1-3 are 6 bolt motors and those fit into 1g and 2g DSM's because they face the same way, just as the newer ones face the same way for us.

The stock EVO8 connecting rods are the same as the stock 4G64 rods, the 4g64 crank fits into an EVO motor as does their crank fit into ours. If you use EVO injectors as stated above you need a resistor pack, any from a DSM or EVO will do since you have to wire it up anyway, there is no way for it to be "plug and play", but dont be discouraged, its very easy to wire up. You should select any parts for your turbo build until you set your goals, know which turbo, which engine management and which engine internals your running. Once you have that info it will greatly influence your decisions on supporting performance parts.

milo111000
08-14-2007, 09:46 PM
nice write up stewi!!

Eclipse97526
08-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks so much man, That was Perfectly what i needed to know. Now all these years of research makes perfect sence ! Muhaha... I got some pics posted !!! Rate my car ;) hehe. I dunno how to set one as my Signature. But i wish i could post more than 3 pictures. I have alot. She looks really good all waxed, and with a decent camera. i took the pictures i posted with my cell phone, But let me know what u think, i recently redone the interor myself as well.

Qs
11-04-2007, 05:23 PM
EVO 4-9 have 7 bolt 4G63T's which are compatible with your USDM 8g Galant 4 cylinder. With that being said, EVO4-6 parts are slightly different than EVO7 and EVO7 is slightly different than EVO8/9. When I say different I dont mean in terms of the engine itself, but more of the components attached to the engine, water pump, p/s pump, alternator, valve cover, water pipe and neck, Etc. If you wanted to do a EVO headswap, in theory you can use any EVO4+ head, however you would need all the other stuff water pump, water neck, pipe, etc from that same engine to make it work. I had a JDM EVO7 motor in my car and it was such a bitch to get a water pump, it wasnt the same as the EVO8 and it took me 2 months to get a pump from Japan. I would recommend sticking to US spec EVO8 parts just for the sake of simplicity and readily available interchangeable parts.

Earlier EVO 1-3 are 6 bolt motors and those fit into 1g and 2g DSM's because they face the same way, just as the newer ones face the same way for us.

The stock EVO8 connecting rods are the same as the stock 4G64 rods, the 4g64 crank fits into an EVO motor as does their crank fit into ours. If you use EVO injectors as stated above you need a resistor pack, any from a DSM or EVO will do since you have to wire it up anyway, there is no way for it to be "plug and play", but dont be discouraged, its very easy to wire up. You should select any parts for your turbo build until you set your goals, know which turbo, which engine management and which engine internals your running. Once you have that info it will greatly influence your decisions on supporting performance parts.

well isnt the diffenrence between the evo 6, 7 ,8 alll electronics?

i think they also tweaked the engine but every part stayed the same.

that beying said, is there a way to use all the electronic goodys the evo 7 or 8 uses?

Qs
11-04-2007, 10:09 PM
anf speaking about comptability

its all fine that the 4g63t engine fits in our 8 g , but since the awd tranny cant be adapter to fit , does that mean the 3 g eclipse tranny is bolt on on the 4g63t block?

Qs
11-05-2007, 12:58 AM
the tranny fits

emoguitarboy
11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
So what kind of Fuel/engine management and ECU would you use fir something like this? I'd be intrested in doing an Evo swap if I can't do the 3000GT VR4 swap.

laxinwarrior
11-15-2007, 02:18 PM
So what kind of Fuel/engine management and ECU would you use fir something like this? I'd be intrested in doing an Evo swap if I can't do the 3000GT VR4 swap.

Welcome... search.

emoguitarboy
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
You know I hate it when people do that. If you're going to reply with just "search" why bother replying at all? Seriously... If you're going to do that it should be more like:

Welcome...Search

Here you go: https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60774&highlight=evo+ecu+swap

Because just saying search doesn't help anyone other than you get that feeling of "Oh I told that n00b to STFU...I feel so good about myself" Seriously if you're gonna be that way go buy a vtec POS.

This is why i quit posting about a year ago... I bought a DSM and they have great forum ediquate... hence the selling of my G... Just trying to figure out if I want to do something fun with it first.

Trevs56
11-16-2007, 12:04 PM
You know I hate it when people do that. If you're going to reply with just "search" why bother replying at all? Seriously... If you're going to do that it should be more like:

Welcome...Search

Here you go: https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60774&highlight=evo+ecu+swap

Because just saying search doesn't help anyone other than you get that feeling of "Oh I told that n00b to STFU...I feel so good about myself" Seriously if you're gonna be that way go buy a vtec POS.

This is why i quit posting about a year ago... I bought a DSM and they have great forum ediquate... hence the selling of my G... Just trying to figure out if I want to do something fun with it first.

couldnt agree with u more emoguitarboy. takes 2 seconds to post an answer. an that bullshit of "search" is the worst ever answer. when u hit search an even type in a key word, u dont get nearly at all the answers ur looking to find. u get a billion threads that lead u in 100 different directions.

emoguitarboy
11-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh BTW becasue the Sr. memeber was to lazy to post these simple words, i'll do it:

You would need the ECU from the model car...IE you get an evo motor get an evo ecu, if you get a DSM motor get a DSM ECU, etc

God you guys are lazy around here:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/benhart21/fail.jpg[/img]

bmore303
11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow, someone's upset. What does having a DSM have to do with this? You can ask the same generic question at DSMsource or tuner, you'll be either told to search or just have your post ignored for a while. Honestly the Evo question has come up a lot especially within the past couple of months, most being on the first page of the 8G or turbo section.

Eclipse's question was answered, but it could have been found with the search function, I should know..I've used it more than enough.

Which is lazier, not searching for your own answer or others pointing you to a search? :P

emoguitarboy
11-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Yes, i'll admit I was being lazy, but I it as equil lazyness. Plus if I have a specific question then I can as and have a member who knows the answer reply, as opposed to having to search for a couple hours through every post ever that contained the eords evo, swap and ECU... I'm just saying the "use search", with out any refrence is the worst possible post that anyone could ever make.

Rule No. 1 of Pretty much all forums:
If you don't have something to contribute DON'T POST!!!

WarmAndSCSI
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Rule No. 1 of Pretty much all forums:
If you don't have something to contribute DON'T POST!!!

Then why are you posting this? The Internet is real serious business after all :roll:

Somebody ban this fool.

emoguitarboy
11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
This is an example of something that I would find acceptable:
http://www.dsmsource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130628

i have a 92 talon tsi awd 5 speed and i found an ecu for a 91 talon tsi will it work and if not which ecu's are interchangable?

90, not interchangeable
91-94 interchangeable

Please use the search button

WarmAndSCSI
11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Then why are you posting this?

Search :roll:

Again, what's the merit in this post of yours? I'm holding you to your own standards.

I realize the irony in me antagonizing him, btw.

edit: caught you trying to ninja your post :wink:

laxinwarrior
11-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Seriously ... this is just way out of hand now. Emo the reason I wasn't very "helpful" about your question is simply that if you would have looked at virtually half of the threads on the 8g page you would have found plenty of examples of what people are using for engine management. Secondly the fact that you mention either doing a 4g63t swap or a 6g72tt swap is plain retarded; if you had done any research whatsoever you would know that the powertrain from an I4 8g is not easily swapped for the powertrain from a v6 and vice versa. I love helping out people who are genuinely interested and motivated but I can't for the life of me figure out what I would get out of helping someone who is just too lazy to use their own abilities.

Edit: I'm done in this thread but if you are serious enough about this then pm me and we can talk it over.

duh2150
11-18-2007, 09:04 AM
why dont yall just stop posting here the guy what wanted the answer hasnt posted in umm some time now, lol :lol:

DarkPhoenixVR4
11-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Allow me to clear some things up. No Evo ever came with a 6 Bolt motor. The 6 bolt was already out of production when the first Evo was produced. Evo 1-3 all came with a 7 bolt engine, with the drivetrain configured in the same way the 1G & 2G DSMs, 6th and 7th Gen Galants. The Evo 4 and on is when they changed the configuration 180 degrees to the state you see now.

The 6 bolt "JDM" motors you see came out of the 6G Galant VR4s, not Evos.

And as stated above, anything from an Evo 4 or newer will be easier to put into an 8th Gen. And just about everything is interchangable engine wise.