PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware Question About Keys

TederickR
08-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Hey whats happening guys. Hopefully I am posting this question in the right place. Well, I am down to only 1 key(ignition) to my 8G. And was looking to get 2 more. I checked with the dealer, and they charge like 200.00 for programing 2 keys, and 50.00 more for each additional key. On e-bay, I saw some adds where they were selling the STRAT TEC 690648 keys for a fraction of the cost. Now, I wanted to know if these keys are any good to buy? Or is it better to just get it at the dealer? I'm aware that I still have to take it to the dealer to let them program it. Your feedback will be deeply apreciated.

fatal1
08-15-2007, 09:20 AM
either way the dealer would have to program them unless you have a 99 or earlier galant...

o1naturalhigh
08-15-2007, 09:26 AM
either way the dealer would have to program them unless you have a 99 or earlier galant...or locksmith with the computer and program

pakisouljah
08-15-2007, 09:37 AM
can't you just buy 1 of those keys and take it to the locksmith and he can make a duplicate copy?

(what do u mean program? the Remote?)

o1naturalhigh
08-15-2007, 09:40 AM
can't you just buy 1 of those keys and take it to the locksmith and he can make a duplicate copy?

(what do u mean program? the Remote?)you can do that...our keys have a transponder chip in it...gotta get programmed to make the car start

TederickR
08-15-2007, 09:56 AM
either way the dealer would have to program them unless you have a 99 or earlier galant...

Thats cool, I figured that much. What I really would like to know, if you guys ever done business with some of the companies on e-bay, that sells the Blanks(Keys)? And is it better to get it from them, or just go to the dealer and buy the blanks from there?

o1naturalhigh
08-15-2007, 10:10 AM

Thats cool, I figured that much. What I really would like to know, if you guys ever done business with some of the companies on e-bay, that sells the Blanks(Keys)? And is it better to get it from them, or just go to the dealer and buy the blanks from there?i don't know about the ebay stuff, but my friend is a locksmith...he gets his keys by the bulk(not from ebay or dealer)...and i've been with him to a few jobs where he had to program it...something about it is good u have one key...cuz if you didn't have any...it would've been a longer process he would have to reprogram everything...andif you were to find your old keys after...the old keys wouldn't work anymore...but that is if you didn't have one key

qnz
08-15-2007, 10:21 AM
I did this thing Jaydeeone told me about. Theres this company on ebay called Street Keys. What it is is that you buy 2x keys from them for $150 if i remember. Then they give you a list of your local locksmiths that are Streetkeys affiliated. you take it to them and they cut and program the keys for you for free. only thing that sucked was that the closest locksmith to me was like 40 min away. Lol. But well worth the money saved.

TederickR
08-15-2007, 10:23 AM

Thats cool, I figured that much. What I really would like to know, if you guys ever done business with some of the companies on e-bay, that sells the Blanks(Keys)? And is it better to get it from them, or just go to the dealer and buy the blanks from there?i don't know about the ebay stuff, but my friend is a locksmith...he gets his keys by the bulk(not from ebay or dealer)...and i've been with him to a few jobs where he had to program it...something about it is good u have one key...cuz if you didn't have any...it would've been a longer process he would have to reprogram everything...andif you were to find your old keys after...the old keys wouldn't work anymore...but that is if you didn't have one key

Ok. I like the feed back. I will look for a good locksmith in my area, and see about getting some keys that way. I was a little iffy with the e-bay blanks. They might be good, but better be safe than sorry. Apreciate the feedback.

TederickR
08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
I did this thing Jaydeeone told me about. Theres this company on ebay called Street Keys. What it is is that you buy 2x keys from them for $150 if i remember. Then they give you a list of your local locksmiths that are Streetkeys affiliated. you take it to them and they cut and program the keys for you for free. only thing that sucked was that the closest locksmith to me was like 40 min away. Lol. But well worth the money saved.

I'll look into that.