PDA

View Full Version : grill work

mitgalantes
08-18-2007, 01:40 PM
decided to go ahead and put a mesh grill in my USDM bumper the other day...it is nice out so i took some shots here it is...let me no what u think

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/mitgalantes/P8180004.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/mitgalantes/P8180003.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/mitgalantes/P8180002.jpg

frag_daddy_2007
08-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Looks great!
Home depot FTW!

glantv699
08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
looks good Ed :smt023

SkylineG1
08-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Not bad work.

mitgalantes
08-18-2007, 02:34 PM
thanks george! :D

phizzalot
08-18-2007, 03:24 PM
wow that brings back memories... one of the first mods I ever did to my g when I got it.

Next I would clear my headlight corners and put some light tint on those left and right blinkers. Maybe even add a lip 8)

mitgalantes
08-18-2007, 04:24 PM
well i kinda wanted to jsut put some smoked headlght covers on them with some 8000k HIDs to back it up...and i just bought transparent black paint for the right and left turn signals..and posibly doing it to the rear side makers...and i am workin on the mugen lip right now thanks

mrjaydeeone
08-18-2007, 05:24 PM
nice nice. nothing like cheap mods that looks good

bmore303
08-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Nice,

Let me know how the Mugen lip turns out. Was planning on taking that route with some sideskirts...which I haven't chosen yet.

DOHCstunr
08-18-2007, 09:18 PM
paint the grill flat black,
will look a lot better.

won't look so cheap, and will match the car.

actually,

go to autozone, gete whats called "trim spray"(comes in a green can, and is used for painting plastic trim on your exterior)

go ahead and remove your wipers, and the trim over your wiper well(cause you and i both know its faded to hell)
wash them up real good, and spray them down with a few thin coats of the trim spray. will look brand new like it did from the factory, and will stay that way for a few years, no need for armour all.

take your grill inserts out(the factory ones) and spray them down with a light coat of primer.
wait for them to dry, then spray them down with a few thin coats of the trim spray, this will get rid of the tacky chrome trim on them, and again... make them look brand new oem.

i woudl do the same thing for the airdam you made.

primer it up, them coat it with trim spray,
will make it look more natural, and more like it came that way from the factory.

trust my expierience when i say that you shoudl do this.
You'll be glad you did.

mitgalantes
08-18-2007, 10:55 PM
^^ thnks for the reply stunr and i will def look into doing that..yes i did think about repainting the grill so the chrome is gone cuz the chrome trim around the windows is enougth..and i would have to see what it will look like with the grill painted black cuz in my opinion i like it how it is..but to each his own..

bronxbombr
08-18-2007, 10:59 PM
nice!

DOHCstunr
08-18-2007, 11:11 PM
^^ thnks for the reply stunr and i will def look into doing that..yes i did think about repainting the grill so the chrome is gone cuz the chrome trim around the windows is enougth..and i would have to see what it will look like with the grill painted black cuz in my opinion i like it how it is..but to each his own..

well, YOU know what you spent on it.....

so if you painted according to my suggestions,
and you didn't like it better(can't see why you wouldn't)
you and i both know it woudn't break your piggy bank to set it back to the way you had it before.

see, my philosophy,
isn't to mod your car so others can clearly see you've modded it....
and its not to hide what mods you've done...

but my philosophy, is to mod your car so that it looks like it could have been built that way from the factory.
not to say it has to be conservative,
but rather, that every mod flows into the next, and not one of them takes away from the car itself.

You see, this way perhaps someone who wasn't familiar with your car coudl look at it.... and they woudl know that there is clearly sommething about your car that is unique; and if you built it right... they woudn't be able to place a finger on what ONE thing or what many things it was that made your car so distinguished....
It woudl surfice to say that they would just see YOUR CAR(in its entirety) as unique.

your grill is a nice touch,
but it takes away from the car.

paint it factory trim black, and you will be left with a more aggressive than stock car.... that will be pleasing to the eye, and will flow quite well.

mitgalantes
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
yeah thats what i needed stunr now im going to paint it blac and if i dont like it i will go back to home depot and spend 2 dollars on another set thanks

thebirdman13
08-19-2007, 12:46 AM
well i kinda wanted to jsut put some smoked headlght covers on them with some 8000k HIDs to back it up... that would really be kinda dumb... unless you were planning to take the covers off every evening before driving... defeats the purpose of having the HIDs... but yeah, looks really good man

frag_daddy_2007
08-19-2007, 01:38 AM
looks pretty good in black in my opinion
just did a quick photoshop of it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/frag_daddy_2007/P81800032.jpg

shovelman
08-19-2007, 10:06 PM
how did you attach the mesh in the bumper

Da_Gal
08-20-2007, 12:05 AM
first off i would like to say it looks good, but really Ive been where u are and u very eager and gong-ho about ur G and thats good BUT slow down and plan out a look u wanna go for and save some money and get mods that really change ur ride(DOHCstuntr) I bet u go out to ur car and just stare at it and go " I bet If i do this it will look sweet" and "i can do that for about 10 bucks!" LOL. Hey i was the same way, I mean i would sit in my garage and what ever i could find to do to my car (for cheap) i'd do it. Also , Really take ppls advice and research these forums, every question youve ask has already been answered. Take advantage of the search feature. Im glad theres another 7ger on here and u came pm me anytime if u need something. Im not fussing or nothing I just want u the stop wasting time petty mods. So patience, young 7ger.

mitgalantes
08-20-2007, 12:26 AM
well i dont remeber asking any questions in this thread except "let me no what you think". i only did this cuz i didnt like the airdams being naked so i wanted to mesh it..so instead of puttin out 100 bucks i did it for two dollars...i never once thought about makin this shit cheap cuz i would ahve every window full of stickers belive me on this..i have got magnaflow exhasut and intake...got CAI comin soon and a 60mm tb...going to find a head and port that out..was thinkin about turbo not sure yet and saving for some D2s coilover sytem...trust me on this when i say IM NOT NO NOOB ANYMORE THANKS TO YOU GUYS so let me tell u this thanks for the input but i no where im going on this...gt7 sleepr :D

kolio
08-20-2007, 01:02 AM
it's okay. on the fence about it.

i'm in baltimore so i try to make the car look as stock as possible. it's funny when other 7G owners see my heads and just stare at them and me

but it is good to have the goal of where you want to go with the car.

listen to everyones advice but act with your own mind

Da_Gal
08-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Hey my bad man, Didnt mean to'" SET IT OFF". lol Its weird I ALWAYS get under other 7gers skins but its good to c other 7g owner are just as passionate as i am.

mitgalantes
08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
oh trust me if i was not passoniate i would be on galantricers.com... im going to make my car my daily driver but also exceed the little mods that make it jsut unique as a daily driver and give it the tuner look as well..the mesh and the girll i plan on paintin it black once the weather gets better...i also am shoppin around for the best coilover setup...thats the only exterior work i will be doing on my car oh yeah and mayb anothe pair of shoes on her in the near future but this is the shit i want to here from people not just oh good work or nice job i want feed back of the pros and cons and i aapreciate all your support and input no matter if it was positive or negative feed back(not sayin it was da_gal just an example)and once again thank you

:mitgalantes

Blue Ice
08-20-2007, 10:58 PM
My $.02... paint it black... and quick. Also, i have some stock galant rims i can sell you so you can lose those hubbies. Personally, i would have went with some stock foglights in the side holes

My thought's...
Galants are very hard to visually modify and not get tacky. (mainly because most things will have to be fabricated.) JDM parts are (were) the best way to make it look differnet, but still flow with the body lines. but JDM parts cost money :roll: You've only got two body kits at your disposal ready to go, and i'm sure for twice the money you could have others shipped from over seas.

I think what the Da-Gal was trying to say, is cheap mods look cheap. And too often (not necesarilly in your case) people do all the cheap stuff they can and their car looks like a load of crap. but those people mainly drive Hondas, so again not it your case. :lol:

mitgalantes
08-21-2007, 01:00 AM
i know exactly what da gal was talkin about but i just wanted to clear up that i was not going the cheap way..just thought i woud do something to it and yes im going to paint it once the weather clears up dont worry and i dont no if i wana go with the body kit mayb just a jdm front bumper...and thats the only exterior mod i will be doin and the fog lights were an opion but not good with the wiring it up part..and yes PM sent!

mikeprekopa
08-27-2007, 12:28 PM
doesnt look bad... but ide have to agree, paint them... how did you attach it ? i was thinking of doing this, but wasnt sure how to attatch it, and being a daily driver, i wanna keep the down time to a minium...

mitgalantes
08-27-2007, 12:49 PM
well u have repainted everything and the down time was a quick 10 min...take the mesh and kinda mold it to the air dams like bend the ends so they go around it take two 1/2" screws for the side air dams and drill it straight into ur crash bar then take well i use 5 screws for the center air damn 3 up top and 2 on the bottom simple as that..and here is the pic from yesterdays meet cant really see the bottom grill but inbetween the lgihts
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/mitgalantes/IMG_3760.jpg

Da_Gal
08-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks Blue Ice. and (mitgalant) if u want to go wit coilovers , I got some Skunk2's for sale (CHEAP!). holla