PDA

View Full Version : ABS

desertfrog
08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
a dealer that I bought my galant from ripped me off and said i had ABS and I don't think I do because it doesn't stop in the wet... how do I check for sure?

desertfrog
08-18-2007, 11:23 PM
and is it possible to install abs?

Kwikfox
08-19-2007, 12:02 AM
a dealer that I bought my galant from ripped me off and said i had ABS and I don't think I do because it doesn't stop in the wet... how do I check for sure?

What do you mean it doesn't stop in the wet? I think the best way to check is to check your fuse/switch box. Most cars have a separate switch for ABS, and if you have the switch you probably have ABS.

Galant Kid
08-19-2007, 04:41 AM
ABS works best on dry pavement, then gets progressively more like regular braking on surfaces like wet pavement, dirt roads, and ice/snow.

At low speeds, some ABS systems are designed to allow the brakes to lock up, this is because more stopping power is generated by the friction of locked rubber against pavement.

Take it on a dry, paved road at 55 and when no one is behind you, slam on the brakes. If you don't hear tires locking up, you pretty much have ABS.

That's the shade tree way of doing it. Kwikfox's suggestions are worth looking into as well.

dknight3
08-19-2007, 05:06 AM
when you put the key in the ignition i think theres like a light that says abs or somthin.

Galant Kid
08-19-2007, 05:19 AM
when you put the key in the ignition i think theres like a light that says abs or somthin.

This is smart.

((Ninja edit) Only if it actually comes on when the key is turned!)

Kwikfox
08-19-2007, 10:32 AM

This is smart.

Its a good idea, but it wont be 100% accurate. I believe there are some cars that have the ABS light, but they don't have ABS...

lonestar22
08-19-2007, 11:31 AM

This is smart.

Its a good idea, but it wont be 100% accurate. I believe there are some cars that have the ABS light, but they don't have ABS...

if they dont have it the light wont light up
like mine

pinoyesv6
08-19-2007, 01:25 PM
get a dealership to run the vin for you.

or if you pull the abs fuse (if there is one) the light should come on.

Satan
09-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Getting ready to swap a CV axle and could not find a fuse for the ABS or the actuator on the firewall. So, I am getting the non-ABS axle. Gonna go look to see if there's a sensor at the wheel as well.

So, since the dash components are the same, there may be an actual ABS light (shouldn't function tho), but you can always look at where the brake lines come together. Looks like all I have is some type of proportioning valve.

komodo
01-07-2008, 11:44 PM
What exactly is it like driving a vehicle with ABS anyway?
To be honest... I'm not sure at all since I've driven some cars with ABS and some without and they brake/turn/drive all the same... atleast on mildy-wet and dry conditions. (havn't compared on other conditions)
I'm about to FINALY buy my 8G.. and the guy who I might buy it off from doesn't have ABS on his.. and he says he doesn't like ABS. So it got me worrying.. I mean, there are actually people who don't like ABS?
Anyway... think it's fine to buy the car without ABS as opposed to those that include it [at a much higher price]??

Kurenai
02-13-2008, 04:09 PM
What exactly is it like driving a vehicle with ABS anyway?
To be honest... I'm not sure at all since I've driven some cars with ABS and some without and they brake/turn/drive all the same... atleast on mildy-wet and dry conditions. (havn't compared on other conditions)
I'm about to FINALY buy my 8G.. and the guy who I might buy it off from doesn't have ABS on his.. and he says he doesn't like ABS. So it got me worrying.. I mean, there are actually people who don't like ABS?
Anyway... think it's fine to buy the car without ABS as opposed to those that include it [at a much higher price]??

If you don't have it, you'll just have to modulate (pump) the brakes if they lock up.

ABS does that, just faster than anybody can...I dunno about the 8Gs but it should make a thumping sound...Like at the end of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RzVvITeyu4

spardavr4
02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't have ABS on my 2001 Galant....:(
Oh well, I can deal with it :)

fatal1
02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
some abs systems cause a rumble in the pedal which i dont like my 8g has abs and is actually very nice i like it a lot feels just like a regular pedal

the easiest way to check and get a definitive answer is to look on your front strut under the car (if you take the wheel off it is even easier to tell *and reccomend this especially if your not sure what your looking for) look on the strut itself and you will see 2 tabs which hold in the brake and abs lines using a 12 mm bolt...if you see 2 lines then you have abs if you have 1 then you dont just take off one front wheel

Rastus
02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
ABS does that, just faster than anybody can...I dunno about the 8Gs but it should make a thumping sound...

Plus, ABS can modulate any one wheel at a time. No driver can do that.