PDA

View Full Version : Dash Trim Install

BLsGalant97
12-13-2002, 02:27 PM
Hey i just but a trim kit from ebay. It looks like it would fit but is their some way that i have to bend it to fit completly??? Right now the peices are flat and need to curve to form to the contour of the factory ones u know?? I heard someone say that they heated it up so they can bend it...is this right???

Heres a pic...http://www.seatsandchairs.com/216.149.114.167/jbeimages/mitsubishi/wmtgl4fiblay3pcs.jpg

Tiptronic
12-13-2002, 02:33 PM
do not quote me, but i think that if you warmed them up a little, they would bend

Fishboy55
12-13-2002, 02:34 PM
Yea I installed the extended trim kit on my 8G. Same principle. Here's some installation help.

Step 1.
Clean the surface inside your car with the alcohol pads provided. The surface must be dry and free of any grease, oil or contaminants for proper adhesiveness. DO NOT APPLY ALCOHOL TO THE SURFACE OF THE PIECES - IT WILL DESTROY THE GLOSSY FINISH.
Step 2.
Carefully apply the adhesive promoter applicator, provided with your kit, only to corners of the dash where you will install parts that have to curve. Let it dry.
Step 3.
Carefully lift small part of the red plastic backing and turn it to the side. Now you have a 'tail' to pull on. Line up the piece and touch the surface with the sticky part of the piece. Slowly spread the area of contact while accurately peel off the red plastic 'tail' to remove the rest of the backing
Step 4.
Apply thumb or finger pressure to entire piece while gently warming the piece with the hair dryer or heat gun up to the body temperature. DO NOT OVERHEAT. Clean the pieces with the Windex after installation completed for better glossy look.

(!) Some Tips:
1. Large pieces are easier to install if you leave several 'tails'. Cut the red plastic with the sharp knife when necessary to allow setting in stages.
2. Where the surface is not flat warm the piece to make it flexible before applying pressure. When the piece is warm enough, about body temperature, it will easily bend to the contour of the vehicle.
3. After installation spray a little amount of furniture wax on a clean rag (don't spray on the pieces) to slightly moisten the rag. Apply a very thin coat on the pieces and buff to the highest gloss. Wax like Pledge or Favor will work fine.

Chip

BLsGalant97
12-13-2002, 02:37 PM
ok cool sounds good...just one question...the kit i got never came with adhesive promoter applicator.