PDA

View Full Version : Needles again...

2True
12-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Sup fella's, this fits in 2 catagories so I decided it was general.

I took my needles off my gauges the other day to do a little work I've been putting off. Here's the deal, I went as far as to even mark where they were with tape before I even removed them. Well that did not work because they are jacked up now.

Car says it idles at 3000rpm (wrong), I have no idea how fast I am actually going (bad thing), gas gauge is off, temp gauge is off.

The gas I tried to fix by filling up but it just read waaaaay past full.

And according to the temp gauge, my car should have blown up by now.

Does anyone know a sure fire way to fix this? Any help is good help.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
12-13-2002, 11:32 PM
for the speedo u can get a friend to help u and pace him. use a cell hpone or walkie talkie (safely) to see how fast he's going to see where to set the needle. anotehr idea is to get a cop with a radar gun one of them things on the side of the road that telll u the speed ur going at. if ur gonna do it alone. i'd get in an empty parking lot. i'd put the car in neutral and make sure the car is moving very very slowly. then set the needles at 0. ur gonna be going a lil bit slower than ur needle says but its more accurate and might save u from a few speeding tickets.

temp guage u shouldn't really worrk about. u know where it sits at normal operating temperature. if it moves up moer, u know ur having a problem. its not that accurate anyways. ur either cold, ok, or overheating.

did u read this? http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/gauges.htm ('http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/gauges.htm') it might work for ur car...just uhm check that otehr post to see what ur car idles at..and be careful with the needles...the mechanism used to turn them are very fragile

QnzMostWanted
12-14-2002, 09:56 AM
tach and speedo are teh easiest

for the tach, have the gauge cluster on the car (glass off) turn the key to the ON position (not started) and the tach needle will auto adjust to where 0 is, so take off ur needle, turn key on and place needle on the tach at 0, start teh car and u will idle fine

Speedo, does it move at all???? start ur car and drive check where the needle stops before it nose dives, thats 0, just turn the car off, take teh need behind the 0 stop and move it back aproxx how much over it goes before it nose dives - if nose dives at 10mph, go aprox the distance from 10-0 behind the 0 marker, and u should be ok with that

Temp - remove the needle, let the car run for 10 min, then place the temp needle where it usually was when warm

Fuel - the hardest of them all, fill ur tank, disconnect ur battery for 15 min set ur gas needle to empty and reconnect battery, start car and let the car run for 10-15 min, the gas needle should automatically adjust itself
also, E and F have these plastic stops that make it stop at E or F if ur needle is too high, it wont touch the stops and u will go way past E or way past F, also if u broke the stops, u got a problem (i had that happen with my temp gauge so now it drops way past cold but when i turn the key on it jumps to C, that wont happen with the gas gauge)

Hope it helps, PM me if u have any questions

2True
12-14-2002, 05:43 PM
Word, thanks Allen, thanks D. I will try all that today for sure.

Letya know if it all goes well...

Wes