PDA

View Full Version : timiing belt?

gotendbz1
08-25-2007, 09:41 AM
So i think my timing belt broke while i was on highway, when i start engine i get a little whining noise and nothing. a shop told me that the only way to tell if the timing belt damaged the pistons is to put a new one in and try. i dont wanna pay for a new belt if my engine is fuk, so is there a way to tell?

frag_daddy_2007
08-25-2007, 10:00 AM
well, unless you are EXTREMELY lucky you

1. Bent a valve
2. Broke a valve
3. Bent a rod

or in the rare cases
4. put a hole in a piston

The only real way to check is take the cylinder head off and look for damage.

seth98esT
08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Look for metal in the oil pan? Really only way to tell is to take the head off and look at the piston tops.

My timing belt skipped and almost all my valves slapped my pistons. I was at idle, just starting the car so there wasnt any damage to the pistons except the valve impression on top of the piston which I smoothed out with a dremel. I just put a new head on, new belt, new auto tensioner and its been going strong for the past 10k miles.

If the belt broke, probably all of your valves are bent and most of your guides will be cracked. You can replace the valves, guides, and valve seals(smart idea), put a new belt on, tensioner, and tensioner pulleys and it should be ok. I would recommend taking the head off the car and checking the tops of the pistons, if they did get valve slapped, its recommended to smooth out the indentions as sharp angles on the piston tops create hot spots.

4-G-rim
08-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Remove the upper timing belt cover..if the belt broke it will be visable and/or if the belt is loose.

Other method is to remove the front timing cover and see if all the timing marks line up...if they don't, then you skipped timing and bent some valves.

gotendbz1
08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
ok so thge piston and valves are shot, i'm junkyarding this tomorrow, so if anyone in nyc needs parts PM me and i give u location of car, you can come and get what you need. Also if anyone know a number i can call to get this towed and maybe a few bucks for it let me know.

Lastly if any in nyc rebuilds engine dirt cheap also PM. Other than that it was good while it lasted.

frag_daddy_2007
08-26-2007, 10:01 PM
ok so thge piston and valves are shot, i'm junkyarding this tomorrow, so if anyone in nyc needs parts PM me and i give u location of car, you can come and get what you need. Also if anyone know a number i can call to get this towed and maybe a few bucks for it let me know.

Lastly if any in nyc rebuilds engine dirt cheap also PM. Other than that it was good while it lasted.

You give up too easy.
I crankwalked an engine, and still didnt get rid of the car. I had to replace the whole block, all you need is a head. Keep the car and do it yourself :x

bronxbombr
08-26-2007, 11:29 PM

Where are you junking the car and how much can you spend on an engine? I can put em in for you too.