PDA

View Full Version : deepest/quietest exhaust muffler

GUTTAZMITZ
08-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Finally looking at doing my second performance mod! I'm from GA, I hear alot of loud ass ricers running around and it annoys me to ride beside or behind them because of their loud ass exaust.. I love the sound of the 350z thought. It's quiet and you don't have to turn up your radio to cover its sound up on the highway.. SO my question is, what's the best muffler I can get to mimic that sound? QUIET+DEEP=GOOD!!

Divinity
08-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I heard a lot of good (and a few bad) reviews about the Megan Cat back exhaust

I think oval mufflers are a little more quiet than a straight through.. but I'm sure there are plenty of threads about this though

Edit: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=57479&highlight=350z+exhaust

GUTTAZMITZ
08-27-2007, 02:20 PM
aha! i knew i rememeber seeing this thread..maybe i'll use search more often :D <=== NoOb

Divinity
08-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah, the search feature does help sometimes ;)

fatal1
08-27-2007, 04:18 PM
i have teh greddy evo 2 for the 3g, it does need to be lengthened a bit but it is a great sounding system ask any of our ny guys, i love my exhaust....it isa little pricey though and will cost a little extra to have it lenghthened but it is definatelly worth it, although if you justwant the sound im sure just the muffler will sound great as well...its that perfect pitch just loud enough that you know its there and when you go it kicks in....nice and crisp... deep and no rasp whatsoever

Kwikfox
08-27-2007, 05:22 PM
I have a Tanabe exhaust on my 2g, I am not too sure what one it is, maybe later I can check to see which one it is. But I am sure the west coast owners who have heard it can vouch for me on how good it sounds. Maybe I will get a recording of it posted later.

RedGalant2k1
08-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Generally the larger the body of the muffler the quieter it is. The best fit for what your looking for would be MagnaFlow Street Series, or for a little more gusto you can go with the Race Series.

mrjaydeeone
08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I have the magnaflow race series muffler on my I4. And I don't think it's too loud. At idle, sometimes you barely hear it, other times it's a low rumble

DOHCstunr
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
i have a megan racing dragon2 muffler.

i really like the look of it. not an ugly plain common muffler like the n1 style.(i can't stand those)

and a 3" mandrel bent pipe kit from VRSexhaust.com all suspended by polyurethane exhaust hangers.

the exhaust always sounded so deep and smooth but after a couple years with that setup i decided i wanted to refine it.

i bought a 3 foot long magnaflow 7" round straight through muffler(3 foot long, has a unobstructed 3" inner diameter from tip to tip)
i welded it inline the straight section after my downpipe.

car sounds amazing now. deep as you can get. quiet enough when i'm off the throttle, nothign but pure sex when i open it up.
i really can't fathom a better sounding exhaust setup than this(at least on an i4 anyways)

qnz
08-28-2007, 12:55 AM
I think the Magnaflow street series is the quietest universal muffler for our cars, which is a good thing

Reelax
08-28-2007, 01:10 AM
I think the Magnaflow street series is the quietest universal muffler for our cars, which is a good thing

yup was gonna say magnaflow street as well. road race engineering has it for a reasonable price.

alexvr
08-28-2007, 07:14 AM
fatal: are u a v6 or i4?? which would sound better the greddy or magnaflow street and which will produce more power??

fatal1
08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
gtz...v6, well for just a muffler you wouldnt gain too much power from either lol...
for the whole catback im not positive which would produce better... but the greddy is 2.5 in...which is pretty much an ideal piping size for a v6 na....i can tell you it sounds like sex tho

all catbacks are going to produce somewhat in the same vacinity of power there really isnt a huge ton to be gained there alone, i would imagine its the same piping size or smaller the only one larger then 2.5 that i can think of off the top of my head for us or the 3g is invidia which i believe is 2.75 in witout going with a 3.0 in option for the turbod cars

GUTTAZMITZ
08-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Aiight thanks for everyone's input!! I've decided to go with the Magnaflow street muffler.. i'm looking at the road race engineering website under the 3g eclipse page (i guess that's the one i'm supposed to use) is it best if i just get the muffler and have a shop put it on or should i get the muffler and the kit and have a shop do it.. what's gonna be cheaper ?

also who has a "BOMZ" CAI? is this company the shit or just shit ? I seen this one and just wanted to know if its a waste
http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2319

pakisouljah
08-29-2007, 01:01 PM
BOMZ is Garbage, but just get a good K&N filter...dosent really matter, all the intakes do the same shit lol, i pretty much learned that

Divinity
08-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Magnaflow Street Series Muffler + Magnaflow High Flow Cat = ???

pinoyesv6
08-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Aiight thanks for everyone's input!! I've decided to go with the Magnaflow street muffler.. i'm looking at the road race engineering website under the 3g eclipse page (i guess that's the one i'm supposed to use) is it best if i just get the muffler and have a shop put it on or should i get the muffler and the kit and have a shop do it.. what's gonna be cheaper ?

also who has a "BOMZ" CAI? is this company the shit or just shit ? I seen this one and just wanted to know if its a waste
http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2319

i say just get the muffler. magnaflow street series are available also at local muffler shops, you might be able to strike a deal with one locally if they do the install. but yea I say get the muffler only because I believe the kit is for a 3g eclipse so you would sitll need more pieces for the galant. if rre can put together a kit for an 8g then you would just have to find someone with a welder.

fatal1
08-29-2007, 06:41 PM
i know unlimited6986 had a street series muffler for sale pretty cheap also not sure if he got rid of it yet though....if your going to a muffler shop or know someone who can weld just do it onto the stock piping its easy enough....obviously since your not doing any other piping etc you are getting it more for sound then performance

galantino_es
08-29-2007, 10:48 PM
what about this one rite hereeee http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubishi-96-97-98-99-00-01-Galant-N1-Muffler-Exhaust_W0QQitemZ230165308075QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33 636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem :wink:

Divinity
08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
That looks like it's gonna be loud as fuck without the silencer

fatal1
08-29-2007, 11:06 PM
i wouldnt get just some type of universal muffler, or for that matter at least one that hasnt been tested, a lot of those types of mufflers sound awefull, you would be better off an sticking with one that is proven to sound good whether it be namebrand or not

bmore303
08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
If you like the way N1's sound than go for it. I hear them way too much and I'm going to be hearing it way more often, since almost every one of my friends are waiting to install N1s on their Nissans. :roll: They're pretty loud, but there's always the silencer.

alexvr
08-30-2007, 12:08 AM
stay away from that fake shit, if u want an N1 then go to apexi site or get the name brand, dont get the apexi n1 "style" or ''replica" because thats thed fake shit, go with magnaflow if anything

FATAL: lol i kno not that much gain from either lol...ok i have rite now a v6 with the street series 225 inlet with a 4 outlest 5'' body and stock 225 piping, now u have the catback evo 2, which is 2.5 with a new resonator?? lets say i get 2.5 piping from the catback and slap on the stock resonator with the magnaflow muffler i have now?? will that be "almost" the same or will the muffler have to be a 2.5 inlet as well?? lol sorry for all the questions lol....also with the bigger piping did it get alot louder, i lik wat i have now because its nice and deep but not loud and when i gun it it just sounds like air getting blow from a turbine from the back lol its sooo crazy it sounds nice tho

4g63lover
08-30-2007, 12:22 AM
I have an A'pexi N1 muffler. I got it back when I just wanted to make the Galant sound a little meaner. Hence, why I just got the muffler and axleback set-up. It sounds pretty good. It just purrs when your cruising, and believe it or not when your on it, you'll hear my intake more than the muffler. But then again, I have a true N1. Although it is kinda raspy.. I've got the "I thought a Subaru was coming up" line a couple of times.

I want to replace the whole system to a 2.5" catback with a quieter muffler, Im thinking of going with the Tanabe Super medallion Touring muffler and having a local speed shop weld a 12" resonator to make it sound meaner.

If I was to do it again, I wouldnt waste my money on the axleback. I woulda just went ahead with the whole catback, prolly even a header.

fatal1
08-30-2007, 12:50 AM
stay away from that fake shit, if u want an N1 then go to apexi site or get the name brand, dont get the apexi n1 "style" or ''replica" because thats thed fake shit, go with magnaflow if anything

FATAL: lol i kno not that much gain from either lol...ok i have rite now a v6 with the street series 225 inlet with a 4 outlest 5'' body and stock 225 piping, now u have the catback evo 2, which is 2.5 with a new resonator?? lets say i get 2.5 piping from the catback and slap on the stock resonator with the magnaflow muffler i have now?? will that be "almost" the same or will the muffler have to be a 2.5 inlet as well?? lol sorry for all the questions lol....also with the bigger piping did it get alot louder, i lik wat i have now because its nice and deep but not loud and when i gun it it just sounds like air getting blow from a turbine from the back lol its sooo crazy it sounds nice tho

well the stock piping is 2.25 for both the i4 and v6 so upgrading the size will definatelly help out with the airflow and give you some extra power... the larger piping shouldnt really make it much louder, mine isnt really that loud at all except when im really pushing it, it gets loud enough, if you plan on getting it done at an exhust shop then they can widen the opening of the resonator and weld it to the piping....now if you cancel out the resonator then it will cause a little less restiction of airflow but it will also free up just a tad more power...however it will cause it to get louder...it is the same instances with the cats and precats although eliminating them will of course make it much louder however will give you more horses.....

the stock piping size is made to beefficient not to create as much power as possible so thewider piping would allow better airflow, however if you go with too big of a piping diameter it will actually just do the opposite....on the na v6 i would go no larger then 2.75....and the cat precats and resonators are all there for emissions purposes not necisarilly for much else so in the elimination of those you free up the airflow more and in turn create more power

granted that from an exhaust alone will not grant you a huge amount of performance gains but when sone with other mods it can help and does its part to contribute....now if you wanted to get the most gains out of it go with a 2.5-2.75 piping and eliminate all you can, im not sure of the emmisions laws by you but if you need to get your car inspected you can easilly do the 02 sensor trick using the spark plug cover methods etc but as i said the more you eliminate the louder it will get

alexvr
08-30-2007, 01:07 AM
yea i will not eliminate anything lol i rather not have thos bits of gains than have a loud ass four door lol, theres this guy here in florida who had straight pipe no cats or resonator 8gpricelss from galants.org and it sounded horrible lol so thats the last thinng, as for the piping i might do 2.5 maybe 2.75 but wat about the muffler, its a 2.25 wont it sound like a fart caan since its going from a 2.5 and exiting 2.25, will it need to be changed or can i make it work also like the resonator?

u have every cat right? any sound clips?