PDA

View Full Version : need help... where do i start?

tgc8gdanno
09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
ok i had a talk with my parents and they let me choose between buying a new car when i turn 18 or doing all the mods i want to my galant and not getting a new car.. im really considering just modding up my galant because i love it.. its a great car except for my brakes warping and my radiator breaking and its one of the sexiest sedans ever imo but thats just me. ok now here come the questions.. i USED the search button and my understanding is that any evo engine 4-9 would fit the right way in the 8g galant right? ok. a question i had was would it be possible to use an eclipse engine? as in the awd turbo 4g63s that come on the 90-94 or 95-99s? because if im goign to fix up my car i want to do it right the first time and not decide to change it up later.. im not sure whether to save up an extra 300 dollars and buy the tein ssp coilovers or just go ahead with the megan coilovers.. any thoughts on that? for now i just want to know the answers to those questions because the answers will change my next series of questions. oh would a simple way to get alot of power be just changing the head of the 4g64? would you guys suggest that even if you had the extra money to do a complete swap? thanks in advance for any replies. i would REALLY appreciate any help or feedback anyone could offer...

QnzMostWanted
09-01-2007, 01:57 PM
u cant use the 1g or 2g eclipse engines in the 8g because its inverted, only engines that will fit are teh evo 4-9 in the 4cyl

tgc8gdanno
09-01-2007, 01:58 PM
thanks.. but what is the problem wiith it beign inverted? what does it interfere with?

mattalicslvr8g02
09-01-2007, 02:01 PM
engine/tranny mounts are on the wrong side .. and arent quite swappable... but its goign to cost alot of money .. and honestly its not worth it

tgc8gdanno
09-01-2007, 02:54 PM
ok thanks. i found this lancer IV engine on ebay for 3,000 dollars with the tranny. could you guys check it out and let me know if it would be a good buy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-MITSUBISHI-4G63-T-4G63T-ENGINE-SWAP-LANCER-EVOLT-4_W0QQitemZ330161403772QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33615QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also, would you guys suggest to do the evo swap or just replace the head and turbo it?

qnz
09-01-2007, 08:50 PM
take the new car kid

Jeffylou87
09-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Just wait it out until the 08 Lancer RalliArt comes out.. It'll be an AWD Turbo...

remarque
09-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Get the new turbo lancer when it comes out. There's alot more work in turboing a car than what it seems. Your lucky, a new car when you turn 18. My parents said take your A$$ college or get a full time job, then worry about a car :lol: .

laxinwarrior
09-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Definitely take the new car. You are talking about an insane amount of work and no offense but it doesn't sound like you have done enough research to know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

SLS2000
09-02-2007, 04:47 AM
x2

You have got to know your sh.. if you are going to take on that kind of a project. Trust us, I know of one member here who has done it and though I have not met him yet, Im sure he has grown some gray hairs in the process. :lol:

milo111000
09-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Just wait it out until the 08 Lancer RalliArt comes out.. It'll be an AWD Turbo...

yup x2!

6G72Galant
09-02-2007, 06:19 AM
NO! NOO! NOOO!

Do not take the new car. Think about it like this. That new Evo is going to be about $30k. Whos going to pay for that? Your parents and you? Youll never have the money to mod that car properly if youre paying for it and plan on going to college.

Heres my suggestion. How much money are your parents willing to give? If theyre willing to give $7k. I'd take $3K and invest in a new suspension setup, wheels & tires, JDM VR4 kit, nice stereo system, some window tints, and at most an CAI or Short Ram for the engine. Id take the remaining $4k, and use that to pay off the Galant. And if you owe nothing else on the Galant, throw that shit into a Bank account and save towards a new car after college. 8)

DNSerrano
09-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Get the RalliArt so that way you don't complain when you do all the mods to the galant, and say "This is too much, I should have just taken the RalliArt with AWD and turbo!" :D

o1naturalhigh
09-02-2007, 02:52 PM
take the new car, make it daily driver, garage the galant, get a job, and save up to do the modding. :wink:

SkylineG1
09-02-2007, 07:08 PM
take the new car kid

my thoughts exactly

beam514
09-02-2007, 08:13 PM
i would possibly take the 08 lancer. it kind of looks like the galant basically from the upper part of the grill and the squinty headlights. I like it a lot better than the previous lancer and the 9G galant with the more broad headlights. But i dunno i love my 8G too

mapid145
09-02-2007, 08:31 PM
NO! NOO! NOOO!

Do not take the new car. Think about it like this. That new Evo is going to be about $30k. Whos going to pay for that? Your parents and you? Youll never have the money to mod that car properly if youre paying for it and plan on going to college.

Heres my suggestion. How much money are your parents willing to give? If theyre willing to give $7k. I'd take $3K and invest in a new suspension setup, wheels & tires, JDM VR4 kit, nice stereo system, some window tints, and at most an CAI or Short Ram for the engine. Id take the remaining $4k, and use that to pay off the Galant. And if you owe nothing else on the Galant, throw that shit into a Bank account and save towards a new car after college. 8)

I completely agree with everything with wat this man says..

i have a 04 maxima.. im paying 320 a month and insurance @ 3 grand year... now watever money i have by working.. i put it all in the car.. trust me man.. u dont want the new car.. yah it looks nice and it feels amazing.. but beleive me.. $$$$ is a bullshit thing. ohh and btw.. im paying for my own tuition and wat not.. i refuse to get help from my parents..

ur parents are giving u 7 grand.. think about.. dont waste it. and believe me on this.. save whatever u can.. ull need money later on..

DOHCstunr
09-03-2007, 12:06 AM
who wants a car payment,

keep yoru car. galants are solid platforms, fun to own/drive, and are very modworthy.

with that said... lets keep it realistic.

buy some meagan coilovers, thats a no brainer. its an easy install and much better than wasting your time with strut/spring combos.

as far as engine swaps... one step at a time. i'd go intake exhaust headers.
that will be enough to really bring your car to its prime.

spend the rest of yoru money n some nice wheels, and styling cues.

now you've got yourself a solid platform, thats fun to drive, original(evo's are so common... but how often do you see a clean.... CLEAN galant?)
and best of all, it will be reliable so you wont' have to have a hassle through college.
-quick story about college and unreliable cars.
I took a chick out one night, having a great time, she was very impressed with my car, and the night woudl have been a great success!
until my ecu fried coming out of the resteraunt and she had to get a friend to come pick her up....
never called her again lol.

so mod the galant, make it clean and love it.

beam514
09-03-2007, 04:41 AM
(evo's are so common... but how often do you see a clean.... CLEAN galant?)

you know I've only seen grandma galants around here, and what's sickening is I think 2 or 3 kids at my school (highschool :shock: ) own evos. Actually there's only about 3 evo's in my town, but its a small town and all i know for sure one of those evo's belongs to a kid that just graduated. obviously their parents bought it for them :shock: