PDA

View Full Version : warped rotors ?

mikeprekopa
09-07-2007, 05:01 PM
ok... so im driving to a friends house, and i have to go down this ginormo hill... so like half way down i start noticing that the car is shaking while im on the brakes...

it gets better when i let off, but when i get on them again, it starts shaking... by the bottom of the hill, its REALLY bad... so now that im thinking about it... it happened once b4, but not as bad... i chocked it up to bad road conditions (they were doing construction, i thought it was something from that)

so im starting to see when im on the brakes for a while, and they get heated up, it shakes really bad... so i just wanted to make sure, this is the rotors warping rite ?

i thought when they warped, you felt it all the time... but with me, i only feel it when they get heated up... just light breaking like for short drives and stuff i dont feel it at all...

thanks for any help.....

MIke

bmore303
09-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Pretty sure they're warped. Best way to check is to just take off the wheel and see for yourself. Shouldn't take you too long. Until you replace them just lay off the heavy breaking.

4-G-rim
09-09-2007, 03:52 PM
If they are severely warped, you can visually see the uneven contact surface. Your symptoms though are signs of a warped rotor..so if surface thickness is still good on the rotor, a shop can resurface them. If the rotor exceeds service limits..you will need to replace them.

Are these the original rotors or have they been replaced before?

mikeprekopa
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM
im pretty sure they are originals... but i just bought the car a month or 2 ago...

DOHCstunr
09-09-2007, 07:57 PM
yeah turn or replace yoru rotors, get some new pads....

FLUSH YOUR BRAKE FLUID TO CYSTAL CLEAR PERFECTION.

make sure all of yoru contact points and slide pins are well lubricated with moly grease.
also make sure the bushing on the guide pin is still intact.

torque your lugnuts to spec.... every time.

gaylantvr4
09-09-2007, 10:10 PM
You could also upgrade to the gvr4 rotors and gvr4 twin piston calipers. Now is the time. The galants are heavy so the like to warp rotors. I replaced mine about 4 months ago and the are allready starting to get some pulsation in them.

DOHCstunr
09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
You could also upgrade to the gvr4 rotors and gvr4 twin piston calipers. Now is the time. The galants are heavy so the like to warp rotors. I replaced mine about 4 months ago and the are allready starting to get some pulsation in them.

i never warped rotors with my old 94 es that didn't have rear discs.

i never warped rotors with my factory GS setup with rear discs

i never warped rotors with my upgraded pads/ rotors / stainless lines and big heavy wheels

i never warped rotors with my vr4 rotors and diamante calipers,

its pretty simple.
keep your fluid clean and free of air, grease everythign well(after cleaning it), break in your components according to manufacturer directions, clean your hubs, and grease yoru lugs.....
then torque to spec.
then drive a mile or two, pull over and retorque the wheels.

do this and you won't warp rotors.

mikeprekopa
09-10-2007, 10:40 AM
thanks for all the tips... ill keep these in mind...

i wish i had known about this prob b4 i bought it..... :|

DOHCstunr
09-10-2007, 11:51 AM
what problem.........

I don't see any problems.
All i see is routine maintenance...

that has to be done on EVERY CAR ON THE ROAD TODAY

so yeah maybe you shoudl have considered this before you bought any car at all...
then weighed it against riding a huffy to work.

4-G-rim
09-10-2007, 03:45 PM
John is right...I also have never warped any rotors ever since I owned a galants and I have owned 2 7g's, 1 8g, and 1 6g and haven't had a warped rotor issue. Normal driving habits, maintenance and proper braking will prolong the life of your braking system components.

Yes...if you ride the brakes alot or constantly do short stop braking..yes they will prematurely wear out.

The galants are heavy so the like to warp rotors.

Our 7g's aren't heavy...they register under 3000lbs. Yes with the rear drum setup it isn't as effecient, but if properly maintained..it will stop a 7g just fine.

mikeprekopa
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
no no no.... i mean i wish i had known that once i buy the car, ide have to get new tires, new brakes.

i know its routine stuff, but its a problem considering i just bought the car, and have to do a bunch of stuff i cant afford... but hey... its a great oppertunity to put some after market stuff in...

koji464
07-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Just replaced my 2 front rotors about 3-4 months ago and now the horrid wobbling is back... Could this be my calipers??
3-4 months on new rotors, I should still be gliding!

Galanttuner10
07-22-2009, 05:22 PM
mine just warped out of nowhere and its the first time its ever happened over 5 years and 2 galants so id say its not too common in these cars

kamenfaiz
07-26-2009, 11:14 PM
that is why you shift to lower gear when you going down hill, it could cause premature rotor or pad failure. but if it is wrap then replace it, it is very cheap and easy to do. oh, might as well slap on some fresh pad, you never want to put old pad on new rotors.

Blackcougar141
02-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I know that on some cars that if you over-tighten the lugs that can cause the rotors to warp over time. I don't know if that's actually true but I had 2 instructors tell us that at college.....lol.

Galanttuner10
02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I know that on some cars that if you over-tighten the lugs that can cause the rotors to warp over time. I don't know if that's actually true but I had 2 instructors tell us that at college.....lol.

dont bring back dead threads. thanks.

warren
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
i had the same problem it was my pad and the disk